New Adaptation of The Witness For The Prosecution Coming to the BBC

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/news/a798363/agatha-christies-the-witness-for-the-prosecution-bbc/

Just came across this piece of news and though I'm excited to hear about it, I'm worried over how the adaptation will look, especially after the disappointment I've seen with And Then There Were None. Writer Sarah Phelps who adapted And Then There Were None will also do this adaptation too. And that's what worries me, because I did not like the previous film at all. And to take another well known Agatha Christie story and mess it up is not doing Christie, her body of work, and this particular story any justice. At the moment there are no updates on cast members or when the story will premiere on TV.

Comments

• Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    Toby Stephens as Vole, Rachel Sterling as Vole, Rachel Sterling as his wife, Jim Broadbent as Sir Wilfred, Imelda Staunton as The Nurse and Julian Rhind-Tutt as The Solicitor.
  • Toby Stephens as Vole, Rachel Sterling as Vole, Rachel Sterling as his wife, Jim Broadbent as Sir Wilfred, Imelda Staunton as The Nurse and Julian Rhind-Tutt as The Solicitor.
    Interesting that Rachel Sterling is playing Vole....the exact same role that her mother Diana Rigg played in the 80's version (which was a great version I may say)
  • To be honest, Angelina Jolie would be good as the beautiful Romaine. Perhaps she can be persuaded to transfer her attentions from Murder on the....
  • Angelina Jolie? Hmm....I don't know. Maybe if she played Romaine she could play it well. But I just don't see it. I might be wrong.
  • It would take a beautiful, mysterious actress to play that role - and I see her as those things. Actually, isn't it quite slight as a story - short? They will need powerful acting to make the most of it. 
  • I am afraid the version with Marlene Dietrich can not be beaten. Marlene Dietrich, of German origine herself, and knowing the pre-war German cabaret-world from her own experience, was perfect as the former German showgirl that came to England as the wife of an English soldier. Plus that she was beautiful, ánd mysterious at the same time, with a smouldering passion just beneath the surface.

I can not see Angelina Jolie accomplish this.

• @PeterJKH: To find an actress who can balance both the mysteriousness and smoldering passion beneath the surface is hard to find and it shows that there needs to be an actress who can do this perfectly well. I don't think Jolie can do it either. I don't know what it is about actors/actresses of yesterday--they knew how to ACT, whereas many today don't know how to truly act--and I guess I should blame the way films are made today which plays a big role in this because the films are more concerned about having fast-paced action scenes and seeing how much sexuality, violence and profanity you can put in the film, rather than focusing on the acting and the story itself. And that's why most films that bear Agatha Christie's name fail today. I'm not saying the actors/actresses of today can't act but the ones who can are very few.