The Big Four. TONIGHT

Well tonight is the night. The big reunion of our favourite characters I can hardly wait. What a treat for all of us.

Comments

• edited October 2013
    I'm recording it and I've seen the trailer and I'm glad to see old characters returning.

some details on locations in filming

• Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    I am so pleased all four are together again, I think we were spoilt by having them all in the earlier ones, but then that was the way they were written near enough, but I am glad they have been put in some they shouldn't be in, I miss them in a way I don't miss Ariadne, Colonel Race or Superintendant Spence.
  • SeaSnapSeaSnap Cornwall, United Kingdom
    Really looking forward to it, and told a non-Christie friend about it. We might have a new fan coming!
  • phlipperphlipper Surrey, United Kingdom
    Long time since I read the book - but I don't remember the ending being like they just showed on ITV
  • The Big Four. Was a fabulous show. Not exactly as our Dame Agatha but perfect for a TV adaptation
    I thought it was better than how I remember the book which I found difficult but the Adaptation made me think about re-reading it, I missed the bit with Countess Rossakoff, As a Blandings fan I was glad to see the Actor who plays Freddie as the wayward Nephew, I am sorry Hastings and Miss Lemon weren't in it more but, I am lad they were in it at the end
  • AgathasmykidAgathasmykid British Columbia, Canada

Unfortunately it is not playing in Canada otherwise I would watch right along with all of you.  Enjoy the show!  I wished they aired in all countries at the same time.

• tudestudes Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    edited October 2013

Unfortunately it is not playing in Canada otherwise I would watch right along with all of you.  Enjoy the show!  I wished they aired in all countries at the same time.

It would be a great idea, but I think it would be very difficult, especially in countries that don't speak english. Usually, you have to wait more than one year to watch an adaption! It's very sad!

tudes said:

It would be a great idea, but I think it would be very difficult, especially in countries that don't speak english. Usually, you have to wait more than one year to watch an adaption! It's very sad!

I agree, however Canada is very close to England in terms of customs, language and traditions.  We even have a British Columbia ;).  Not sure why it wouldn't play in North America at least?
    edited October 2013

tudes said:

I agree, however Canada is very close to England in terms of customs, language and traditions.  We even have a British Columbia ;).  Not sure why it wouldn't play in North America at least?
    I don't know. It's really odd. It's easier to play in North America  than other place. I think there are a lot of Agatha Christie's fans. Do you have to wait too long to watch an adaption?
    tudes said:

tudes said:

I don't know. It's really odd. It's easier to play in North America  than other place. I think there are a lot of Agatha Christie's fans. Do you have to wait too long to watch an adaption?

At this point we have not been given a date or a time, I am assuming in the New Year but who knows.  It would have been great to have watched it and be able to come on here and discuss it.
    I hope we can watch it soon.
  • I watched the adaptation today and overall I thought it was very good. It was filmed in a very slick, stylish way. There was excellent suspense, particularly in the chess scene. As well as stylish, it had an emotional impact. The scene with funeral for instance.

Its been 9 years since I read The Big Four. I've only read it once and I didn't enjoy it. It felt decidedly un Poirot like. I actually preferred the adapt to the book. For any Big Four fans out there, it's possible they might be disappointed because most of the ending was changed. It wasn't any less dramatic though.

One point, how come when Poirot's walking stick was burnt in the explosion, did they manage to place it fully intact next to the coffin? Rather mysterious. 

Suchet was on top form, both in serious moments and the amusing meeting with Japp all these years. I'm only sorry Hastings didn't have a sightly larger role. 

what did eveyone else think? Did it improve on the book in any way? Or was there parts that shouldve remained unchanged? 
    I liked it, I read it and decided never again, The book has good Chapters, I am sorry Hastings and Miss Lemon didn't have a slightly larger role.
  • I thought The Big Four was excellent, an improvement on the book. Didn't Dame Agatha say it was one of her least favourite stories and she and her brother cobbled it together from short stories around the time of her divorce?

Miss Quinn it's only the top of Poirot's cane that Hastings places on the coffin.

It was lovely to see the old team back together and some nice banter between Japp and Poirot.