October 2013 Book of the Month: Murder on the Orient Express

adminadmin Cuanza Norte, Angola
edited January 2014 in All Poirot novels
Come, tell us what you think of this story, or pose a question you feel fellow fans would enjoy answering. 

Comments

• Sad_CypressSad_Cypress Kauno Apskritis, Lithuania
    For me this story left a huge mark in my mind. The first time I've read it I was in a state of some kind of a light shock for a few days. The whole story... the ending! It was such a powerful ending. One of the greatest Poirot's mysteries!
    I especially loved the variety of characters. And how every one of them were connected.
    I highly recommend to read for those who didn't :)
  • This has to be one of the ultimate "locked room" mysteries, because the reader knows someone on board the Orient is responsible. The characters appear to be stereotypes such as the English highly reserved Valet. But it turns out the characters are very different to what they seem. The end is a shock, I think that it's has a real twist to it.
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    This is a good book and Miss Quin is right it is one of the Ultimate "Locked Room" mysteries but someone on the site between the Murder and Denoumont it isn't very interesting and I can slightly agree with that, There are worse books with Poirot but there are better ones I will give it a break next time round, but probably willread it again some day, It is a great book for playing the Casting Game
  • adminadmin Cuanza Norte, Angola
    Tommy_A_Jones can you elaborate on what you mean by the Casting Game? Without wishing to move the discussion (just yet) to film adaptations, who would you cast in a film version?
  • ZeddieZeddie Ballymoney, United Kingdom
    I completely agree with Tommy_A_Jones. This is a good book and a classic due to the fact that Poirot allows the murderers to get away with it, but definately not the best in the Poirot series.  I must confess I actually found the outcome a little disappointing but I am sure I will read it again some day!
  • cmspencercmspencer Ontario, Canada
    Murder on the Orient Express has a glamorous location with an intriguing plot and a surprise ending. Reading Christie taught me to suspect everyone because she is so good at deflecting suspicion from her murderer - or murderers, in this case. I also hugely respect Ms. Christie for working with such a large cast of characters; it isn't easy having to come up with all those back stories and intertwining these people together. Well done!
  • glalonzo0408glalonzo0408 Pennsylvania, United States
    Murder on the Orient Express is by far my favorite book of all times.  When I first read it, oh so many years ago, the ending was not what I expected.  The movie is one that I can watch over and over.....Thank you for making this the Book of the Month...It gives me an excuse to read it again..  :-j
    Just out of curiosity - who did you guys suspect to be the murderer? :)
  • LucilleLucille Ontario, Canada
    I am picking it up at the library today.  I have read it many years ago and I think it's brilliant as are all of Agatha's books.  I remember being so surprised at how it ended. I am looking forward to reading it again!
  • SPOILERS!! I thought that the killer was the young chic couple, because of the alteration of name. I was wrong and I'm glad, as I had a bigger shock. Did anyone out there guess the solution correctly?
    MissQuin - I thought about them too! :D
    Although in my mind I had this nagging thought that A. Christie would never give up the answer that easily.
    And about the right guess - never, not even once, did I suspect that This will be the kind of ending She had prepared for us... It truly was magnificent
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    When I say the Casting Game all I meant was some people have in the past said who they would cast in certain parts, once someone picked a book and the ones who wanted to cast them like Football Fans choose who they would want to see in a Football side or Cricket fans with Cricket etc that's all I meant
    I started reading it a few minutes ago and I am so surprised! In the book version I have which is a large print from the library, the train is called the Taurus Express instead of the Orient Express.  Of all the nerve! Why would the publishers change the name? It's not fair to the author! However, on the book cover, it is called Murder on the Orient Express.
    I am so sorry. Poirot was not yet on the Orient Express at the start of the book where I was reading.  My mistake!
    On the prior book club assignment "The Mysterious Affair at Styles" we were given a set of questions to consider as we read.  I can't seem to find any such questions anywhere for this assignment.  Am I missing something or perhaps no questions were given.  I would appreciate someone letting me know. Thank you.
    I have finished the book today! Were I a casting director, I would assign the role of Caroline Hubbard  to Meryl Streep! This role is made to order for her and I know she would do it honour! I might comment some more at a later date.  Whenever I finish a book, I remain attached to its characters for a few days.  Are there others among you who also do that?
  • AgathasmykidAgathasmykid British Columbia, Canada
    For me, this is not only the best Agatha Christie novel, it is the greatest murder mystery of all time.  It just flows so well, and there is not a single dull moment once Poirot starts his investigation.  I sometimes wish that there was only a single killer, however the ending does ask a great moral question of it's readers.  I have read it at least 8 times, and plan to read it at least once every couple of years.
    Lucille - Yes, I too get attached to the characters. My mind creates its own versions of the characters appearance and I love it! Being a part of the journey...
    To BELGIANCHOCOLAT: I adore Albert Finney and although I have seen neither of the two movies, I think I would prefer David Suchet simply because of his appearance which seems to come closer to that of Poiret.  I would love to one day see both versions.
    Everybody knows how Poirot is always dressed to the nines and this is why I was so surprised at how Agatha decided to attire him in the first chapter, second paragraph which reads as follows. "...a small lean man, muffled up to the ears, of whom nothing was visible but a pink-tipped nose and two points of an upward curled mustache." I was riding on the bus when I read that and I was trying hard not to crack up. Was anyone else amused at this and surprised to see him dressed like that which is so out of the norm for him.
    edited October 2013
    I prefer David Suchet. I adore him as an actor. Its like he was born for the role of Poirot. I especially love the ending of the Orient Express movie. When Poirot gets out of the train and walks towards the policemen. The music... His eyes, the way he looks... And when everybody awaits for the verdict. For me it was such a powerful moment! So much inner emotions could be seen in their faces... And Poirot's face when he walks away! God knows I had almost cried myself
    X_X
    Lucille - I chuckled a bit when I read about Poirot's appearance :D It was quite a surprise for me that he looked like this. But nobody can fight a cold weather. Not even Poirot :D
  • AgathasmykidAgathasmykid British Columbia, Canada
    One of Christie's masterpieces and one that I never got tired of reading.  To be honest, I would had given that role to one of the older characters.  The solution to the murder was ingenious and one that Poirot does solves but doesn't capture the murderer.  Here's my question.  I'd seen both the movie version with Albert Finney and the televised version with David Suchet.  Which do you prefer??  And Why??

I prefer the Finney version and here is why;  while I like what they tried to do with Suchet and the moral dilemna his Poirot faces, the investigation part, which for me is the most interesting and suspenseful part, fell completely flat and unegaging.  In Finney's version, the investigation part is fast, quick paced, and involves each suspect really well.  In other words, when it comes to mystery books and movies, the suspense and investigation will trump drama any time.
     Agathasmykid -  What you're saying is making me want to see both films.  I will then be better able to judge which version I prefer.  I agree that the investigation part is the most interesting and suspenseful part because that's where we get an insight in all the suspects.
    SPOILER! I am reading the book again with the advantage of insight this time around. The group had masterminded everything down to a T.  Unfortunately the best of plans can go array. With the assistance of the Wagon Lit conductor, the group had exercised control over the allocation of the compartments. It put a real dent in their fender when M. Bouc and Poirot appeared on the scene.  At first, Poirot was made to share No. 7 with Hector MacQueen. This must have unnerved them since Poirot would have known whenever he left the compartment. Poirot was next assigned to No.1 which was next door to Ratchett and which was a compartment initially reserved for a M. Harris.  Having Poirot in that compartment must have been so daunting to them as it made their mission extremely dangerous. Even No. 16 through the offices of the Wagon Lit conductor had been assigned to one of them.  I suspect that M. Harris never existed because the compartment No.1 assigned to him was next to Ratchett's thus facilitating his access to the group? Is anyone else of this opinion!
    SPOILER! After Ratchett had been killed, Caroline Hubbard had a long altercation with the Wagon Lit conductor insisting there had been a man in her compartment. I was so puzzled the first time I read the book. I kept thinking there could have been a man there but where had he come from? That was such good planning on Agatha's part.  She never leaves a stone unturned.  I realized later that Caroline Hubbard could have had the altercation for Poirot's benefit in case he might have heard something suspicious since he was next to Ratchett's compartment. Does anyone have any idea of why else she might have behaved like this.  Or perhaps it was because she was nervous and stressed and reacting in an overly dramatic manner might have been beneficial to her nerves.

Is there anyone who could answer this question for me. When I look at the diagram of the train, I see a large space between compartments 4-5 and 6-7 and then another large one between 8-9 and 10-11. I'm wondering what this space represents. Does anyone know?  Also, the letter "T".  What does it mean? I'm not just being curious, I'm trying to figure out something. Thank you for any help you can give me. 
    Lucille said:
    Everybody knows how Poirot is always dressed to the nines and this is why I was so surprised at how Agatha decided to attire him in the first chapter, second paragraph which reads as follows. "...a small lean man, muffled up to the ears, of whom nothing was visible but a pink-tipped nose and two points of an upward curled mustache." I was riding on the bus when I read that and I was trying hard not to crack up. Was anyone else amused at this and surprised to see him dressed like that which is so out of the norm for him.

It made me laugh.....I can just picture him...

• One of Christie's masterpieces and one that I never got tired of reading.  To be honest, I would had given that role to one of the older characters.  The solution to the murder was ingenious and one that Poirot does solves but doesn't capture the murderer.  Here's my question.  I'd seen both the movie version with Albert Finney and the televised version with David Suchet.  Which do you prefer??  And Why??

I agree with Agathasmykid. I watched the Suchet version and I found it slow, over moralizing and dreary. Suchet's Poirot seemed to apply that for all crimes, the perpetrator must be punished. But that seems odd seeing as (spoilers to The Double Clue) !!!!!   Poirot fell in love with a jewel thief and let her go!  

I think the Finney version is more stylish, faster paced and has a touch of humour. It's not perfect though. If I could change one think about it, it would be Albert Finney. Oddly enough I always picture Mrs Hubbard as being rather frumpy looking, but in both adaptions she's been glamorous. 

I always thought that Poirot does not "capture" the criminal because perhaps he thinks that what they did was justified..........
    In the past there were discussion questions posted on the book of the month......are they posted and I just can't find them?????