"Curtain" nominated for an Emmy!

GKCfanGKCfan Wisconsin, United States
"Agatha Christie's Poirot: Curtain, Poirot's Last Case" was just nominated for an Emmy for Outstanding TV Movie!  No other nominations, unfortunately, but that's a big one!
Tagged:

Comments

• tudestudes Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Great news!
  • MarcWatson-GrayMarcWatson-Gray Dundee City, United Kingdom
    That is wonderful news,though i haven't watched it and (i know this is silly)but i don,t want to.Neither have i read the book as in some peculiar way,It helps me keep him alive !!!!!
  • GKCfanGKCfan Wisconsin, United States
    I understand and respect that, MarcWatson-Gray.  I didn't know how "Curtain" would end before I read it– I might not have had I known!
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    I think there are better Adaptations which are more deserving of an Award.
  • 3rdGirl3rdGirl New South Wales, Australia
    I loved it. I also cried at the end. I thought Hugh Fraser was fantastic in it, and was a little less caricature in a way with the loss of his wife and his worry for his daughter.  It was lovely to see Hastings and Poirot together again and falling back into their friendship roles. Of course, Mr Suchet was superb. 

I was lucky enough to see Mr Suchet in a play called "The Last Confession" last year. He truly is a wonderful actor. 
  • JR66JR66 London, City of, United Kingdom
    Excellent news!
  • tudestudes Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    I think there are better Adaptations which are more deserving of an Award.
    I agree with you. It's not one of my favorites (far from it), but still great news!
  • ginestraginestra Lombardia, Italy
    I have just bought the DVD. Not watched yet ..we will see. The book is not one of my favourite but it is a good news anyway.
  • AvidChristieFanAvidChristieFan Louisiana, United States
    3rdGirl said:
    I loved it. I also cried at the end. I thought Hugh Fraser was fantastic in it, and was a little less caricature in a way with the loss of his wife and his worry for his daughter.  

~~~I feel the very same way---he's such a good actor, but seems low-key to many and is often underrated.  I also enjoy his narrations of the books.

It was lovely to see Hastings and Poirot together again and falling back into their friendship roles. Of course, Mr Suchet was superb. 

Absolutely!  

Unfortunately, "Curtain" did not win Outstanding TV Movie– as expected, the Emmy went to "Bessie," but it was still exciting to be nominated!
  • Brought down the curtain on both Poirot's and David Suchet's career of playing the Belgian sleuth. To be honest I was getting a little tired of both the character and the actor. They were being done to death. Forgive the pun.
  • CT148CT148 Sydney
    edited December 2015
    To be fair to David Suchet he was the quintessential Poirot. Was the character in appearance whom AC described in her books. 'A short,dapper man with an eggshell shaped balding dome and a wispy, dark moustache turned up at the ends'. Or words to that affect. Unlike the Peter Ustinoff character for instance.
  • CT148CT148 Sydney
    edited December 2015
    Completely agree about Hastings.3rdGirl. He was the perfect sidekick to Poirot. Being an ex military intelligence man he had a keen mind and was no dummy  but rarely got the appreciation he should have. Poirot also often denigrated him for no good reason. I also enjoyed the work of the man who continually played him, Hugh Fraser. A fine actor indeed.
  • aggierocksaggierocks Ipswich uk
    I thought curtain as a film was depressing. The latter poi rots were too heavy and dark. I felt suchet got away from the original feel for him and got too "theatre" about it if you get what I mean. I dislike the final few he did and won't re watch although in general I admire what he achieved. 
  • I'm glad to know that a Poirot film was nominated for an Emmy but I think "Curtain" was the wrong choice. I think the film could have been made better than it was. I think Five Little Pigs, The Hollow or Sad Cypress should have been given an Emmy -- one of those. The music from Christopher Gunning beautifully set the tone to those films and it's a shame that Gunning didn't continue on. Stephen McKeon (more specifically) and Christian Henson made some great compositions but not like Christopher Gunning did. It would have been more appropriate if he did the music to "Curtain". That film could have been much, much better than it was! 
    Unfortunately, no one submitted any previous Poirot telefilms for Emmys– Curtain was the first to be submitted– and even got a small publicity campaign for it, which is very important.