Hugh Fraser on saying goodbye to 'Poirot' after 25 years

GKCfanGKCfan Wisconsin, United States
Here's a podcast interview with Hugh Fraser, as he talks about his performance on "Poirot" and working with David Suchet:

Comments

• an intresting interview glad to hear Frazer's views on his character and the series as a whole
  • tudestudes Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    He's such a wonderful Hastings! I can't believe it's over!
  • I enjoyed the on screen chemistry between these two. Poirot though was always sure to imply just who was in charge. Often to the point of denigrating Hastings. I enjoyed the work of Hugh Fraser. He is a fine actor. Look forward to seeing him in other vehicles
  • martin223martin223 Levoca, Slovakia
    Captain Arthur Hasting is really a great character and Hugh Fraser's great actor, too. Peril at End House or The A.B.C. Murders are my favorite ones. 
  • AgathasmykidAgathasmykid British Columbia, Canada
    I am likely in the minority, however it would be great if they reunited to film an adaptation of Black Coffee.
  • b2burnsb2burns Sun City West, AZ
    Hastings added much to Poirot and Poirot was less without him in later episodes. Sadly, Poirot mistreated Hastings badly in the final episode. Wish there were new episodes so decision-makers could repair the damage.
  • b2burns said:
    Hastings added much to Poirot and Poirot was less without him in later episodes. Sadly, Poirot mistreated Hastings badly in the final episode. Wish there were new episodes so decision-makers could repair the damage.
    I didn't like the way Poirot treated Hastings either. I only read the book once but from my memory I don't recall Poirot treating Hastings so nastily. It was like Poirot was in a bad, impatient mood all throughout the film. I love Poirot's interaction at the beginning of the film but then things started to go south after that. 
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom

When scoring Books which didn't have Poirot I asked myself if the book needed him, I am glad Hastings was in Murder in Mesopotamia and I was sad when ITV stopped putting Japp, Miss Lemon and him in the Books, but I really love some of the Books and Adaptations without Hastings, I love Evil Under The Sun but having Hastings in the Adaptation is great and having Hastings in the short story Adaptations is Great and Hastings s really welcome in Murder in Mesopotamia but but CAT P. After The Funeral, and others didn't need him, I kept on looking for him when watching Dead Man's Folly though.

• When scoring Books which didn't have Poirot I asked myself if the book needed him, I am glad Hastings was in Murder in Mesopotamia and I was sad when ITV stopped putting Japp, Miss Lemon and him in the Books, but I really love some of the Books and Adaptations without Hastings, I love Evil Under The Sun but having Hastings in the Adaptation is great and having Hastings in the short story Adaptations is Great and Hastings s really welcome in Murder in Mesopotamia but but CAT P. After The Funeral, and others didn't need him, I kept on looking for him when watching Dead Man's Folly though.

I didn't care much for the Evil Under The Sun adaptation with Suchet. I felt like the film could have been so much better. Although I enjoy the camaderie between Hastings, Miss Lemon and Poirot, I would have liked to see Poirot by himself. Instead of the ridiculous subplot with Poirot's weight, some more attention should have been placed on the characters and especially on Arlena Marshall whom I think I should have gotten to know a bit more. Still prefer the book over the two film adaptations. I have yet to see an adaptation that lives up to the book.
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    Each to their own, I think the Adaptation was fun, perhaps one of the last light  ones which I think was welcome although I do like CAT P, Mrs McGinty's Dead and Death On The Nile.