David Suchet's book on Poirot

AnubisAnubis Ontario, Canada
Hi everyone - not really a discussion here, but the other day I picked up at the library "Poirot and Me," written by David Suchet, in which he describes his thoughts and experiences in portraying the sleuth for a quarter of a century. The book was a published a year or two ago, so you may already know of it. But I didn't see any reference to it in the community forum, so thought I would mention it to those, like me, who were unaware of it. Among other things, Mr Suchet explains why some films differ from the written stories.

Comments

• Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    I was given it as a Present and I was disappointed In it and it made me think worse of David Suchet, he doesn't as far as I could see mention Pauine Moran as much as he does Hugh Fraser and Philip Jackson, he mentions Philip Jackson in relation to either Death In The Clouds or One Two Buckle My Shoe (I can't remember which) but I couldn't find him giving the same attention to Paulne Moran and Hickory Dickory Dock and I found his treatment of the man who gave him the role unfair On the upside the Epilogue was Excellent as was The Anecdote about the Old lady and the one about the Couple just as good. 
  • aggierocksaggierocks Ipswich uk
    Read it, and watched the films along with it as I went.  Enjoyed doing that but felt he talked less about the films behind the scenes than he did about his private life esp theatre work. That would have been better in a general bio. Also he banged on about honouring Agatha-- over and over again.... Yet the shows he had more control over were far more divorced from her books and even her tastes and personality or I guess I mean her sensitivities..... I think he got self indulgent over time. That's a shame as I wish he or the grandson or SOMEBODY would really defend her work.  I do feel a fondness for suchet tho in spite of the above. 
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    I am not sure how he had control over the Adaptations, did he have a say in the Casting? Did he have a say on which changes from Book to screen? I would love to know, It does seem a bit mean, at one point it appears to me he didn't try to save Philip Jackson, Pauline Moran and Hugh Fraser and the man who gave him the part and when it suited he Philip, Pauline and Hugh back.