st. loo

Hi there..
while reading evil under the sun there was a moment when poirot and the inspector meet ,they mentioned something related to an affair at st.loo can anyone tell me which book are they talking about?? No spoilers please [-X

also another question for whom read the Harper Collins edition there are some words which are italic do they give us a clue about who the murderer is?
thanks for your time ^-^

Comments

• GKCfanGKCfan Wisconsin, United States
    St. Loo was the setting for Peril at End House.
    I have no idea about what words in italics you're referring to, so could you please clarify?  Thank you!
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    I am so glad you asked that GKCfan, I was wondering the same.
  • oh sorry I didn't clarify that by italic I mean the font not the language it's something like (that) you know there is two types of words which are italic in the harper Collins edition one is the French phrases and the other is ordinary words and that what made me ask you guys.. hope I clarify enough ^-^
  • Tommy_A_JonesGKCfan because most of the time you two who answer my questions here :-bd
    You're welcome!  Often, when Poirot speaks in French it's in italics– usually it's not an important clue or anything, just a way of emphasizing the French words.  Sometimes italicized words are just meant to emphasize stressed words of dialogue.  Most of the time they're not special clues.  Indeed, when Christie wrote a clue into the text, she made sure not to draw attention to it!
  • luismkluismk Bariloche,Rio Negro, Argentina
    "We shall not hunt together again, my friend. Our first hunt was here — and our last ... They were good days. Yes, they have been good days..."
    Those words are from Curtain...
  • SandiSandi Santa Clara, CA USA
    I have seen the various italic words in the past. I wish I knew why they were,  if I get the chance I will find it in one of the books.  Maybe with that information someone can help out.
  • Well, like GKCfan already stated, when italics are used, this normally is done to emphasize some stressed words of dialogue. Some publishers (at least, here in Holland) also put the French words Poirot speaks in italics. Just to indicate that he is mixing languages. But I never ever have seen that the clues in detective novels are printed in italics. So I am really curious what you mean, Sandi, of it is not the above.