Jewels thrown into a gorge

landt2016landt2016 Southampton, UK
I am positive there is a short story in which some jewels (probably paste ones) are thrown out of a train as it passes over a gorge. I think it's because the real jewels are stolen earlier in the story and paste ones are left in their place, and then, following a murder, these jewels have to be got rid of for some reason, so someone chucks them out of the window. I read The Blue Train for the first time, and I was sure I'd read it before. Some researching led me to The Plymouth Express, which is basically The Blue Train in an earlier form, but this isn't the short story I was thinking of (and I hadn't read it before I read The Blue Train). Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Comments

• GKCfanGKCfan Wisconsin, United States
    •••SPOILERS***

I can't think of jewels in a gorge, but in Death on the Nile, some fake pearls are thrown into the Nile.
  • landt2016landt2016 Southampton, UK
    It's definitely not Death on the Nile- I'd have recognised that! And I'm sure it's a train rather than any other form of transport. Thanks for the suggestion though!
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    I had the opposite situation with you, I thought I had read The Mystery On The Blue Train, but when I did I realised I hadn't, I was basing it on remembering one line which was part of the Denoumont of another Book.
  • landt2016landt2016 Southampton, UK
    I have worked out which story I was thinking of- it's a Parker Pyne one. I'd forgotten about Parker Pyne until I came on this forum, and now I've tracked down the story. It wasn't a gorge after all; it was the sea.
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    So...Don't keep us in suspenders! Which story was it?
  • I just checked - the story is "Have you got everything you want" and the fake jewels are thrown from a train. 
  • GKCfanGKCfan Wisconsin, United States
    Good work!  I forgot about that scene!