'The Adventure of the Egyption Tomb'

SeaSnapSeaSnap Cornwall, United Kingdom
The short story in question is one of my favourites from 'Poirot Investigates'. It has also been included for Agatha's story in the Mystery collection 'WhoDunnit'. Post your comments on it here.

Comments

• edited October 2013
    I adore this story, I think that it's up to the standard of a full novel. There was so much media attention towards the Howard Carter discovery. Then there was so much furore about the supposed "curse".

In the 20's and 30's some people still believed that a curse could kill a person. So how would've a Agatha Christie reader of that time react to this story? After all, there are supernatural elements in Mr Quin and other short stories she wrote. I think that people wouldn't have expected the solution. 

I saw the adaptation first and I enjoyed it a great deal. 

On a lighter note, the piece with Poirot riding a camel - ! If I was Hastings I would have found it hard not to laugh

;))
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    I am not interested in the subject of Archaeology which is probably why it isn't a story I enjoy also there is also a human reason to stories involving curses and the supernatural so I always wonder what's the point?At least Hastings was there to make the story bearable for me and Poirot of Course.but I always find Hastings improves the  Poirot stories I like least, pity he isn't around for all my least favourite Poirot Stories although some with Hastings are my least favourite so I am contradicting myself
  • Seasnap- have you seen the adaptation? It was faithful to the book. 

• SeaSnapSeaSnap Cornwall, United Kingdom
    I have it on record, but have yet to watch it. I have been put off by bad adaptions, such as 'The Adventure of the Italian Nobleman' and 'The Kidnapped Prime Minister'.  
    It isn't a favourite story of mine because I just don't like Archaeology and the part of the world highlighted in the story, I don't have a problem with the 2 Adaptations you mention, SeaSnap, At least they aren't The Missing Will which in my view is the only Adaptation of a short story that ITV Ruined although the Adaptation was nice enough the Story as Written by Agatha Christie is in my view so much better  

SPOILERS

With 'The Kidnapped Prime Minister', it's the bit when they "siege" the house, and the woman commits suicide. With 'The Adventure of the Italian Nobleman', it's the addition of all the government and blackmail. None of these events were prominent in the short stories.

Oh right, you have to allow for a little artistic license so that the adaptation fits he time slot, I suspect now there will be no new episodes some people might be glad for MOST of the ones they don't like.
    I know, but the suicide came from nowhere! 
    From memory the type of person the suicide was you could see it was a possibility
  • I'm currently reading Suchet's Poirot and Me. He revealed that the heat was so intense in filming Egyptian Tomb  that he passed out! Poor David!

Seasnap- in agreement about Prime Minister. It felt rushed at the end and that woman would have died fighting! A shootout more likely than a suicide. I think that episode had such a political plot that they were treading so carefully, that they hardly revealed anything. i watched it with someone and they couldn't follow why the people were kidnapping anyone! 

I liked Italian nobleman. I loved seeing Miss Lemon have a romance even if it didn't last.  I loved the cat too.
  • hahhahaahhbcdhbchju
  • jkfjkffjdkfjuhnfdkidencki
  • jfcujrcjreujcieurnc
  • StathisZavitsanosStathisZavitsanos Attiki, Greece
    It is the short story with the highest number of killings, isn't it?
    Probably, yes.
    I have just re-read The Egyption Tomb and realise the Denoumont confuses me,, I shall have to re-read it.