Black Coffee

monamismonamis Blackpool, United Kingdom
Have any of you seen the new production touring the UK -Black Coffee ?
I saw it in Blackpool the other day, a wonderful performance.  Robert Powell stars as Hercule Poirot.  It was well acted, with crisp diction and subtle humour.  It is certainly well recommended. 
Tagged:

Comments

• FrankFrank Queensland, Australia
    Sounds great. Lets hope they decide to bring the production to Australia.
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    I like Robert Powell but I can't see him as Poirot, who plays Hastings?
  • MichaelHallMichaelHall Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
    Getting ready to see Black Coffee in Derby in a couple of weeks - any more recent comments / thoughts ?
  • glalonzo0408glalonzo0408 Pennsylvania, United States
    Hope it comes to the US
  • Unfortunately I didn't get round to seeing it, and I was wondering if there was a dramatization on cd. I'v seen reviews that the novelization of the play isn't that good and is not pure Christie and can only find the narration of that on cd. 
  • @Luke: I read the novelization of "Black Coffee" and I thought it was pretty good--sure it's not written by Agatha Christie and of course she would have wrote it differently but I think the book was much better written and more close to Christie than this new Poirot series we are getting from Sophie Hannah "The Monogram Murders" and the upcoming "The Closed Casket" --these are NOT pure Christie. 
    I either had it or have Black Coffee on Audio Cassette or CD I can't remember which and I don't know if I still have it, I think it was read by John Moffett or Hugh Fraser
  • Just read it. Not AC but not bad.
  • I think the Black Coffee by Charles Osborne is a whole lot better than the work that Sophie Hannah is doing. Her books are not even based on anything A.C. has wrote. I liked Osborne's book versions of Spiders Web and The Unexpected Guest as well. 
  • AgathasmykidAgathasmykid British Columbia, Canada
    I think the Black Coffee by Charles Osborne is a whole lot better than the work that Sophie Hannah is doing. Her books are not even based on anything A.C. has wrote. I liked Osborne's book versions of Spiders Web and The Unexpected Guest as well. 
    I so agree with this. 

Also, if memory serves me correctly, I don't think this was ever made in the David Suchet series of Poirot.  I wonder if they would ever think about filming it and bringing back Suchet for one more episode.
  • @Agathasmykid:

I don't think David Suchet is going to film Black Coffee even though that would be a great addition to the body of work of Poirot films that he has done. I think Suchet is completely done with the series.
    What a Brilliant Idea, I also think instead of doing what They did with the Missing Will they could have woven it into The story where there  is a family curse, I think it is called The Le Mesurier Inheritence.
  • Did David Suchet say that he would do a big screen film if asked?

Yes I think so

• I would love an audio drama of it with Suchet 
    So would I.
  • I'd like to read the original play script.
  • GKCfanGKCfan Wisconsin, United States
    Black Coffee was performed as a staged reading with David Suchet before the series ended.  The long-running Poirot radio series has stopped with many stories unadapted since John Moffat died, but with enough fan support the series might continue.