Lord Peter Wimsey

2»

Comments

• GKCfanGKCfan Wisconsin, United States
    I personally think that their styles are similar, but definitely different.  Sayers often revealed the killer midway through the book, and Walsh (at least in the three I've read) delays the reveal a bit more.  Also, I don't think that Walsh fills her prose with as many literary/historical references as Sayers.
  • My feeling is that Walsh doesn't take herself - or her detective - as seriously as Sayers did. Sayers was accused of being in love with Peter Wimsey, Walsh sees him more objectively and humorously. In terms of writing style, as GKCfan said - similar but different. I found Sayers' writing more readable (maybe because I was younger and had more concentration) but I really enjoy Walsh's writing (perhaps even more). Also, The views of the Wimsey's and Bunter's family life in the Walsh books are very interesting and add a lot.
  • edited June 2016
    If the accusation is true @taliavishay-arbel that Sayers was in love with Wimsey, it's probably because the character was partly based on Eric Whelpton, a close friend of Sayers' whom she fell in love with but unfortunately did not reciprocate those same feelings. I'm pretty sure those feelings for Whelpton never went away. And on top of that, as an author who took the time to develop this character, perhaps at the same time she loved the creation she made. In How I Came To Invent The Character of Lord Peter Wimsey, Sayers' wrote: 
    Lord Peter's large income... I deliberately gave him... After all it cost me nothing and at the time I was particularly hard up and it gave me pleasure to spend his fortune for him. When I was dissatisfied with my single unfurnished room I took a luxurious flat for him in Piccadilly. When my cheap rug got a hole in it, I ordered him an Aubusson carpet. When I had no money to pay my bus fare I presented him with a Daimler double-six, upholstered in a style of sober magnificence, and when I felt dull I let him drive it. I can heartily recommend this inexpensive way of furnishing to all who are discontented with their incomes. It relieves the mind and does no harm to anybody.

She gave Wimsey everything she didn't have and lavished him with good things. It's not something you would do to a character you don't care much for, right? But then some fans would probably ask, if Sayers' loved and enjoyed writing Wimsey, why end the series with a few books instead of writing a massive body of work like Agatha Christie did. Maybe that's the reason why Sayers' ended with so few books in the canon. She probably adored the character so much she didn't want to continue the series and allow him and the series as a whole to get stale or perhaps introduce habits and quirks that would perhaps annoy her as Poirot did to Christie. 

• Actually, I think Sayers did get tired of Wimsey - she started "Thrones, Dominations", got stuck because of the Abdication (Which related unfavourably with some of what she wrote) and gave Wimsey up completely. I think that actually the fact that she made him so "perfect" was because she "fell" for him - he was her dream both of a lover and of what she wanted to be (as you point out), and perhaps because of that he became wearying. In the Paton-Walsh books, Wimsey is much more human and Harriet has a much greater role - much to the reader's benefit. 
  •  In the Paton-Walsh books, Wimsey is much more human and Harriet has a much greater role - much to the reader's benefit. 
    And it would make more sense to make Wimsey more human especially now since he's married. I think readers would like to to see some slice of the marriage life-- little peeks of the ordinary, everyday things which is nothing less than being human. To see Wimsey in this marriage the way he was before would be a little unrealistic. It would be nice to think that WImsey mellowed and toned down a bit (sure some of his eccentricities are still there but are subtly downplayed) not only because he's married but due to age as well. 
  • If Jill Paton Walsh continued the Wimsey series, what kind of case would you like to see him solve? What kind of little moments would you like to see in Wimsey and Harriet's marriage? 
  • I loved the latest book (Late Scholar) because they revisit Oxford, as more mellow, confident people, and you see the same kind of conflicts and tensions that we saw in "Gaudy Night" through a more mature viewpoint. I hope she does the same for other scenes - she placed the second book around Tallboys, but Wimsey wasn't there (It was wartime), and I think there is room for another book there. It's sad to see the Dowager Duchess ageing in the later books, but heartwarming to see how Peter and Harriet have made her part of their family. I'd like to see more of the second generation - she has Bunter's son going to the same school as the Wimsey children, and planning to major in Business - I think he would make a good addition to the detection team.

I'd like to see what happened to Miss Climpson, Rev. Venables, and Ginger Joe.  Also, Peter's brother's daughter, and Lady Mary and Parker's children could be developed as characters.  I'd be interesting to see a flashback novel where we see twin non-intersecting stories, where we see Harriet's relationship with her parents before they died and how she decided to be a mystery writer, as well as what Lord Peter was doing at that time.
  • Did Peter's brother Gerald have a daughter? I only remember the son, Jerry, Who appears in "Gaudy Night" and is mentioned in "Busman's Honeymoon". For the rest, yes, it sounds interesting.
    Yes, Gerald had a daughter who is briefly mentioned but plays no role in the Wimsey Saga, unlike her brother.
  • You've made me curious! Where is she mentioned (in which book)? 
    edited July 2016
    Wimsey's niece is referenced a few times, but I know she's referred to in Gaudy Night.  Wimsey speaks rather dismissively of his niece and nephew, saying, "Our family's been going a pretty long time.  There's Saint-George, who has no character, and his sister, with no vitality."  After St. George's accident, he tells Harriet that no one is likely to tell Lord Peter about it, including his sister because it wouldn't occur to her– she's "at school."
  • That's interesting - I don't remember the sister being mentioned by Jill Paton Walsh in any of the sequels. It would be interesting to find out how she develops.
    Yes, there are several minor characters who are mentioned but barely seen, like the distant poor cousin who works as the family historian and is sneered at by Helen.  And whatever happened to Barbara, Peter's first fiancée, who he broke up with during WWI on the grounds that he might get maimed and he didn't want her bound to him by duty, and then she married someone else, and devastated, he intended to get killed in the war, but thankfully he survived?
  • Cousin Mathiew does appear in the Walsh books. As for Barbara - that could be a real mess! Lke having her a widow, coming back into Peter's life and trying to make trouble between him and Harriet. Or the other way - Peter meeting her, being afraid of her and his own reactions, and discovering that they have nothing in common - or that they have no attraction, but can become friends. Perhaps her abusive husband getting murdered and she suspected, and Peter and Harriet helping her by discovering the real murderer/murderess. Endless possibilities.
  • You're right @taliavishay-arbel, there are endless possibilities and I would love to see Jill Paton Walsh explore different scenarios and use characters and put more depth into them. I've been trying to look on Amazon.com to see if there will be a new Wimsey novel but so far haven't seen an upcoming one yet 
  • I just checked the web, and there is an article in "booksellers" from November 2015 by Katherine Cowdrey, which begins: "Jill Paton Walsh, who has recently been named as the Dorothy L. Sayers Society's new president, is publishing a fifth book in the Lord Peter Wimsey series with Hodder & Stoughton." There is at least one mistake in the article, but I hope the first sentence is correct!
  • CarterCarter West Sussex UK
    As far as I know, in addition to "Busman's Holiday" I don't think the first Lord Peter Wimsey novel "Whose Body?" was ever televised nor Dorothy L Sayers short Wimsey stories? Which would be an opportunity for filming.
    edited August 2016
    "Lord Peter Wimsey, My Hero" written by a young enthusiast, Isabel Fincham:

https://singingintherain.wordpress.com/2016/05/30/post-22-lord-peter-wimsey-my-hero/

Interesting publication "The Wimsey Family" available from The Dorothy L Sayers Society:

https://www.sayers.org.uk/press/wimseyfamily.html
  • Carter said:
    As far as I know, in addition to "Busman's Holiday" I don't think the first Lord Peter Wimsey novel "Whose Body?" was ever televised nor Dorothy L Sayers short Wimsey stories? Which would be an opportunity for filming.
    It's time for another Lord Peter Wimsey series starting from "Whose Body?" to "Busman's Honeymoon", including the short stories if that's not too much to ask, for ......only if they are done right -- specifically I mean faithful to the books. 
    edited August 2016
    Carter said:
    It's time for another Lord Peter Wimsey series starting from "Whose Body?" to "Busman's Honeymoon", including the short stories if that's not too much to ask, for ......only if they are done right -- specifically I mean faithful to the books. 
    Agreed, perhaps we should lobby the BBC? 

As regards earlier discussions on this thread re: Sherlock Holmes, I favoured the portrayals by Jeremy Brett and Basil Rathbone, also Peter Cushing didn't do a bad job in my opinion. I am also looking into the Ngaio Marsh Inspector Alleyn books and television series.

Correction: I should have written "Busman's Honeymoon" NOT "Busman's Holiday".

I've never read any Margery Allingham crime novels but remember the Campion television series portrayed by the actor Peter Davison. Anyone has any advice on which books are your favourites?
  • Carter: Of Margery Allingham's "Champion" books, Probably critical best is "Tiger in the smoke". The end is rather sad and uncomfortable, but that makes it more moving. There is a group of her books, written fairly closely together, each in a different setting, which I like and periodically go back to: "The Fashion in Shrouds" about the fashion industry, "Flowers for the Judge" about the publishing industry (also has a T.V. adaptation), "Dancers in Mourning" about the entertainment industry, "Death of a Ghost" about the world of art and painting (also has a T.V. adaptation). For easier reading, some of the earlier books are better: "Mystery mile" and "Sweet danger" (A.K.A. "The fear sign"). The first one I read, "Traitor's Purse" is interesting, because it uses a tricky device: the detective wakes up after an accident, with amnesia, from something he hears he thinks he is a criminal on death row... and has to solve the crime with a lot of pieces of his memory missing. (A similar device is used in Anne Perry's "Face of a stranger").
  • @taliavishay-arbel, who used the amnesia device better in your opinion: Margery Allingham or Anne Perry? 
    Carter: Of Margery Allingham's "Champion" books, Probably critical best is "Tiger in the smoke". The end is rather sad and uncomfortable, but that makes it more moving. There is a group of her books, written fairly closely together, each in a different setting, which I like and periodically go back to: "The Fashion in Shrouds" about the fashion industry, "Flowers for the Judge" about the publishing industry (also has a T.V. adaptation), "Dancers in Mourning" about the entertainment industry, "Death of a Ghost" about the world of art and painting (also has a T.V. adaptation). For easier reading, some of the earlier books are better: "Mystery mile" and "Sweet danger" (A.K.A. "The fear sign"). The first one I read, "Traitor's Purse" is interesting, because it uses a tricky device: the detective wakes up after an accident, with amnesia, from something he hears he thinks he is a criminal on death row... and has to solve the crime with a lot of pieces of his memory missing. (A similar device is used in Anne Perry's "Face of a stranger").
    Many thanks taliavishay-arbel 

I now have plenty of reading to keep me occupied for a while!
  • I just went over the list of allingham books, and realize I forgot to include one of my favourites: "Black Plumes". It doesn't have Albert Campion (instead there is inspector Bridie, who is great!), very rich in characterization and atmosphere. Definitely worth reading!