Ben Affleck Directing, Starring in ‘Witness for the Prosecution’ Remake

GKCfanGKCfan Wisconsin, United States
If this happens, it will be very different from the upcoming BBC version:

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/ben-affleck-witness-for-the-prosecution-1201841040/

Comments

• Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    I see Affleck as Vole.
  • TuppenceTuppence City of London, United Kingdom
    Who else would you like to see catch in this remake?
  • When I Tommy_A_Jones said:
    I see Affleck as Vole.
    When I read that Ben Affleck would direct and star in the film I thought he would play Leonard Vole. 
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    Stephen Berkhoff as Mayhew, Imelda Staunton as The Nurse and Catherine Zeta Jones as Vole's Wife as it will be an American Production so it has to be people who The American's Know and I am not up on my American Actress's
  • I wonder if Affleck will remain faithful to the material. Is he a fan of Agatha Christie? I wonder if he even read one book of hers. 
  • The 1982 film staring Ralph Richardson, Wendy Hiller, Beau Bridges, Deborah Kerr, Diana Rigg and Donald Pleasence is available on
    YouTube (complete 102 minutes) : https://youtu.be/pjEIsGauX04
  • AgathasmykidAgathasmykid British Columbia, Canada
    I love the original black and white version of Witness and it will be hard to live up to its quality in my opinion. 
  • @Agathasmykid: It's definitely going to be hard to live up to and even with the 1982 film as well, though the b&w version is the definitive one in many fan's eyes. Does Ben Affleck even read Agatha Christie? 
    @Agathasmykid: It's definitely going to be hard to live up to and even with the 1982 film as well, though the b&w version is the definitive one in many fan's eyes. Does Ben Affleck even read Agatha Christie? 
    Hi, very good question. I hope he isn't doing it just because he thinks he has a potential money making movie in his hands.
  • And that's the problem, it seems that Agatha Christie is nothing more than a cash cow to many of these directors, scriptwriters, etc. They don't appreciate the artistry of Christie and her ingenious plots. All they know is that Christie is popular and the way to make money off of her name is to make movies from her books . . . .books in which they never read or even cracked open. If someone is going to take part in producing a film from a book, they should at least read the book or at least a group of books to get the feeling of the author, the way Christie writes her characters, etc. Because if someone's intention is only to see a potential money maker on their hands, the quality won't be there nor will it be faithful or close to the book. 
    Well said ChristieFan, couldn't agree more.  

When I go to the movies now, I see they have special events where they bring older movies back for a limited run. Maybe Agatha Christie limited could lobby for some re-releases.  I for one would love to see the Finney MOTOE or the Tyrone Power WFTP  on the big screen.
  • TuppenceTuppence City of London, United Kingdom
    Ben Affleck is indeed an Agatha Christie fan and this is the reason that he wanted to direct a film version of The Witness for the Prosecution. Closer to the time that this film goes into production, we will hopefully be able to hear more about his view on Agatha Christie's works.