Kenneth Branagh in Talks to Direct Agatha Christie’s ‘Murder on the Orient Express’

124»

Comments

• cameronjhwcameronjhw Albuquerque, New Mexico
    I heard that Penelope Cruz will apparently be in the new film version of MOTOE. Though they didn't say what character she might play they mentioned it could be either Hildegarde Schidmt or Greta Oholson. I wonder if the character of Cyrus Hardman will be in the film version or not.

• TuppenceTuppence City of London, United Kingdom
    We can now confirm that Penelope Cruz will be starring in Kenneth Branagh's adaptation of Murder on the Orient Express and we hope to be able to confirm which of the remaining female roles she will be taking on shortly.
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    Who is she?
  • AgathasmykidAgathasmykid British Columbia, Canada
    IMDB has listed Josh Gad as playing McQueen.  Gad will probably do well in that role, but I have to admit I was hoping they would have cast Freddy Highmore in that role, would have been a fun way to pay tribute to Anthony Perkins and to give a nod to the 1974 MOTE film.
    Sorry, I forgot to comment on Cruz.  On IMDB her name is there, but the character she is playing is not yet listed.
  • GKCfanGKCfan Wisconsin, United States
    Agathasmykid, I like your thoughts on Highmore.  I just saw the fourth season of Bates Motel and really enjoyed it.
    Thank you GKCfan, I just looked her up.
    You're welcome!
    I just discovered a new name for the cast of MOTOE. A man named Sergei Polunin
    will join the cast on the Orient Express.  It didn't say what role he'll play but from the sound of his name I have a feeling he will be Count Andrenyi. I wonder if this new film version will include the characters of Colonel Arbuthnot and Cyrus Hardman. Also I'm wondering about the role Michael Pena will play. Now in the book there is no character called Marquez so does that mean he's supposed to be Antonio Foscarelli?  Also I'm debating in my mind which character Penelope Cruz will play either the German lady's maid Hildegarde Schmidt or the Swedish lady Greta Ohlsson?  I would be interested to hear your opinions on which of those two roles you think she might play.  While the list of stars in this upcoming film sounds intriguing I still have my doubts as to how close this version will stick to the novel and just how convincing Kenneth Branagh will be as Poirot.
    I really hate it when Adaptations change the name of Characters, ITV dropped Battle and Race in Cards On The Table and it just added to my anger, perhaps the name Andrenyi is frowned upon in a Country the Adaptation is being sold to, I read a Book set in the 70s and the name of the Detective was changed for the American Market.
  • I really hate it when Adaptations change the name of Characters, ITV dropped Battle and Race in Cards On The Table and it just added to my anger, perhaps the name Andrenyi is frowned upon in a Country the Adaptation is being sold to, I read a Book set in the 70s and the name of the Detective was changed for the American Market.
    It's surprising that the name of a detective was changed for the American market. Was the publishing company afraid that the name would be offensive to Americans? I know that English titles can differ from American ones but I never heard of the former before!

Instead of changing the names of characters from Christie's books, they should focus more energy and attention on the adaptations themselves and ensure that they are in the spirit of Christie because a lot of these recent adaptations appear to be more in the spirit of the screenwriter and what they want to do with the story, losing the Christie-touch that's easily lost due to the unnecessary changes. 
  • While the list of stars in this upcoming film sounds intriguing I still have my doubts as to how close this version will stick to the novel and just how convincing Kenneth Branagh will be as Poirot.
    I have MAJOR doubts and I don't believe this will stick close to the book. Looking at how Hollywood is today with remakes of films and the way they film them, it's very bleak and I just don't have faith that Hollywood will make it work even with the guest stars that they have. It takes more than guest stars to make a film work. It has to have that certain magic behind it all and the original 1974 film had that which can't be done ever again. 
    At least in the Suchet version of Cards on the Table, one of the reasons why Race was deleted is because James Fox, the actor who played Race earlier in Death on the Nile, wasn't available for filming, so they changed the character so as not to throw off viewers by recasting.  So I understand that.  That doesn't mean that I don't hate the other changes, of course.
    I was under the misapprehension that Cards On The Table appeared 1st, Race only appears in 2 Poirot Books so they could have re-cast which I think would have been a better solution but that doesn't explain why they didn't have battle or why they made the replacement Gay and why they made the other changes.
  • I was under the misapprehension that Cards On The Table appeared 1st, Race only appears in 2 Poirot Books so they could have re-cast which I think would have been a better solution but that doesn't explain why they didn't have battle or why they made the replacement Gay and why they made the other changes.
    They could have casted James Fox's brother Edward Fox -- they both look somewhat similar. Or they could have recast someone else to play Race. They recasted another actress to play Vera Rossacoff in The Labours Of Hercules so I don't see the problem of recasting. Even the manor in Curtain is different from the one in The Mysterious Affair At Styles. So there are consistency issues in the series and a recast of Race wouldn't have dramatically alter things. 
    They Could have had Alex Jennings play Race, he Looks similar to James Fox IMHO Because Battle was more important to me than Race.
    Just found out that the actor Williem Defoe (who was in both of the Boondocks Saints films) will appear in the new MOTOE film as Mr. Hardman
    I have learned that Sergei Polunin will play the role of Count Andrenyi in the new MOTOE film. I figured that he would play the part by the look of his name. Now it looks like they need to cast someone to play Col. Arbuthnot and once they finally reveal which passenger Penelope Cruz will play they just need another actress to play the remaining role. I'm not sure which of the two Penelope Cruz will be either the Swedish missionary nurse or the German lady's maid. Which do you think?
    Looks like an actress named Olivia Colman will be playing Hildegarde Schmidt in the new MOTOE film. So I guess Penelope Cruz will play Greta the Swedish missionary nurse
    Olivia Colman is known for her BAFTA-winning work on "Broadchurch" and "Accused," and she just won a Golden Globe last night for "The Night Manager."
    I am going in with an open mind. I see Willem Defoe has recently been added as well.  I am really liking the cast.  That being said I am curious to see what Branagh's Poirot will like and act like. Lets hope preview or trailer is released soon, hopefully spring time.
    Isn't Olivia Colman the Actress in Broadchurch?
    Yes she is, Tommy_A_Jones!
    I would never have thought of her.
    It has finally been confirmed. Penelope Cruz will play the part of Greta, the Swedish missionary nurse in the new MOTOE. I wonder now who will play the role of Col. Arbuthnot?
  • Normally, I wouldn't trust a remake when the original was done so well, but if anyone can pull it off, it's Kenneth Branagh. I hope he can to do justice to the story, and to Hercule Poirot, without simply copying what's been done before. My fingers are crossed and I'm really looking forward to this. :-)
    Josh Gad (Hector) has posted three videos from the set of MOTOE.  They're mostly about Gad trying to get Star Wars spoilers from Daisy Ridley, with a little help from Dame Judi Dench in one of the videos.  There's not too much information about MOTOE, but you can get a look at some hairstyling and maybe a glimpse of costume...  http://time.com/4665253/daisy-ridley-judi-dench-josh-gad/
  • CrookedQuinCrookedQuin California, United States
    I saw some of those videos before in a video that had to do with Star Wars. I did not realize it was on the set of MOTOE!