Day One

Oh, hello!  I'm so glad you're here.  I'm having a bit of trouble and I wonder if you could help me.  I'm doing some research, you see, going through the files of the barrister Sir Charles Carter KC.  Have you heard of him?  He's most famous for defending Leonard Vole in the Emily French murder...

Anyway, I've been going through his files, finding some fascinating cases, and I discovered the record for a murder case where Sir Charles defended the killer from one of Agatha Christie's mysteries, but unfortunately, the mice seem to have gotten to the file, and most of the file has been chewed to bits!  I can't figure out who the defendant in the trial is!  Most vexing...

Interestingly, there are notes on the twelve members of the jury, and wouldn't you know it, each and every juror has appeared in at least one Christie story!  What are the odds?  If I could just figure out the names of the twelve jurors, I should be able to figure out the defendant's name based on some cryptic clues scribbled in the margins of the surviving notes.

Here's what I have so far.  The mice have left me little bits of twelve pictures.  The entire pictures can each be found somewhere on the Agatha Christie website (www.agathachristie.com), but I don't know where.  You'll have to figure it out for yourself.  What do you say we turn this into a little game?  Each day, I'll post one of the pictures, along with a little clue from the file as to who the juror was.  Then you track down the picture, and once you figure out the story or the character the picture belongs to, you can use the clue to figure out the name of the juror.  I'll put up one picture a day for twelve days. Then, after you've named all twelve jurors, you should be able to figure out the name of the defendant.  Does that sound like fun to you?  Excellent!  Let's get started...

Here's the first picture.  

Do you recognize it?  Where on the Agatha Christie website have you seen this image before?  

Here's the clue: What is the last name of the character who speaks the first and last lines of dialogue in the Epilogue to the book connected to the image shown here?

That character is the first juror!  Feel free to discuss the clue on these boards, and give little oblique hints to your fellow players, but please do not reveal the answer.  If you figure out which book the picture represents and where on the website it is and which character is represented, please keep it to yourself.  Don't spoil the game for other people, please.

So, let's get started!  Can you figure out who the first juror is?

Comments