MYSTERY MAN'S MOTIVE

MariaMaria Pichincha, Ecuador
edited October 2013 in The Mystery Man Game 2013
I think most of us, at least for what I've seen in the threads, have found the 8 links and got who is the Mystery Man. Now we have to figure out the motive.

As I said in a previous thread, with the final twist around the last murder, we should go back and review all the testimonies of our original 8 suspects/victims. Henry's statement pops up. But what really intrigues me the most is WHY DID THE MYSTERY MAN DECIDED TO KILL JESSICA AND NOT FERN? What part did Mystic Margot play in this whole thing? I mean, why did she get involved in all this? What was she going to gain with all this? And finally, how did the Mystery Man know everything he/she did? Did his/her knowledge come from his/her position or from his/her relationship with one of the victims?

Comments

• LL88LL88 Sofiya, Bulgaria
    edited October 2013

I think we should wait one more day before going on. :)

• MariaMaria Pichincha, Ecuador
    Given her profession, I think that she was the one who most certainly had committed a "crime", and I say "crime" because it depends on what you consider a crime. I mean, her actions could have led to a patient's dead, but it doesn't mean she planned to kill that person. So, for me, her previous "crime" could be regligent patient care bordering the line of medical malpractice.
    Actually, this kind of fits well to the last murder, our Mystery Man knew that, if she was on duty when the last murder was committed and someone from the hospital staff could be blamed for it, it was a perfect oportunity to frame her...
  • edited October 2013

I'm having a problem deciding how to approach this last stage of the game.  If I could ask two questions of the compilers of the game they would be:

1.  Are they "playing fair" with us in the true sense of a Christie murder mystery, i.e. have we been given all the clues we need to work out the motive if we are sharp enough to see those clues? 

or

2.  Are we supposed to figure out a motive using guesswork, intuition and imagination?

At the moment I'm thinking it's the latter.  I can see a motive but to make sense of the entire proceedings I need to tie up a lot (and I mean a lot) of loose ends, and so far I can't find sufficient information to do that. 

edited October 2013

I will also post my questions now. I did it yesterday, but decided it might be too early (but as Maria already commented on them before I can edit them, here is once again what bothers me):

Is the Mystery Man a man or a woman? This is driving me crazy!
    I also think I have found a satisfactory motive and it answers the questions Maria has mentioned, but only one thing is still blur to me - the very first event which made the Myster Man do all this. I believe Margot was an accomplice and her death was planned from the beginning, without she knowing it. Jessica, however, was murdered, because she about to know what was going on. I also think Fern was planned to be the last one and blamed for all this. Why - this is what I still look for. But I have an idea, althought it does not seem to be the right one.
    Anyway, my other question is did Fern have a past crime and what was it? Maria already commented on this, but the correct answer could only break my current theory...

@Delicious_Death: I used everything we know as of now to come up with my theory. However, only the very first event is slipping away. But I have noticed such things in Christie's works, too. You might know who is the murderer and why, but there is always one very first event you cannot come up with just by reading the book. These are usually found by the detectives via searching in records for the past and are revealed at the end of the book. Or they are known to the residents of the town, but here - we are not living in St Mary Mead (unfortunately).
    Anyway, I do not think my theory is the correct one, but it satisfies me and I will post it at the end. :)

• edited October 2013
    I have sent my theory about the motive. Most probably won't be the wining one, but doesn't really matter to me, it was a great fun to be part of this game
    :)

• cphh1007cphh1007 New York, United States
    Currently, I am with Lyubomir.  Obviously, the motives are apparent for everyone as it has become apparent that they are being killed because of past crimes.  I also agree in regard to Margot, Jessica and about Fern.  The first two were killed to cover up the story hat they knew about, and Fern was spared to be put at guilt (as she has been).  Who exactly NK is has been bothering me.  No one I can think of or researched for has initials N. K. in any novel or in any relation with Christie.  
    It is that event that sparked N.K.'s murder spree that we don't have and don't think we will have (just as Christie does, like Lyubomir explains)  While this is unfortunate, I am going to email my best interpretation of the evidence and hope it is clear.  Happily confused... CH

I will also post my questions now. I did it yesterday, but decided it might be too early (but as Maria already commented on them before I can edit them, here is once again what bothers me):

I also think I have found a satisfactory motive and it answers the questions Maria has mentioned, but only one thing is still blur to me - the very first event which made the Myster Man do all this. I believe Margot was an accomplice and her death was planned from the beginning, without she knowing it. Jessica, however, was murdered, because she about to know what was going on. I also think Fern was planned to be the last one and blamed for all this. Why - this is what I still look for. But I have an idea, althought it does not seem to be the right one.
    Anyway, my other question is did Fern have a past crime and what was it? Maria already commented on this, but the correct answer could only break my current theory...

@Delicious_Death: I used everything we know as of now to come up with my theory. However, only the very first event is slipping away. But I have noticed such things in Christie's works, too. You might know who is the murderer and why, but there is always one very first event you cannot come up with just by reading the book. These are usually found by the detectives via searching in records for the past and are revealed at the end of the book. Or they are known to the residents of the town, but here - we are not living in St Mary Mead (unfortunately).
    Anyway, I do not think my theory is the correct one, but it satisfies me and I will post it at the end. :)

There's one thing bothering me about Jessica's dead, more exactly her "past crime", which is is only a crime if killing the language could be considered a crime...

I went all over the FB posts where the spelling mistakes were and all of them were written by NK Reporter. So, why was this "crime" Jessica's?

It also bothers me that we don't have an actual name, as you said, we have an identity but we don't know if this is even a real person or a secret identity...

By the time I read your message, I couldn't edit my posts anymore :(

Maria said:
    There's one thing bothering me about Jessica's dead, more exactly her "past crime", which is is only a crime if killing the language could be considered a crime...

I went all over the FB posts where the spelling mistakes were and all of them were written by NK Reporter. So, why was this "crime" Jessica's?

It also bothers me that we don't have an actual name, as you said, we have an identity but we don't know if this is even a real person or a secret identity...
    Personally, I think reporter N.K. is a real person, different than the other nine. After all, he/she has a job as a reporter - how could they have a secret identity... I'd rather believe that Margot could really see the future. :P
    But, he/she could have a secret - either a relative to one of the nine other people, or an enemy, or something else. :)

• Maria said:

Personally, I think reporter N.K. is a real person, different than the other nine. After all, he/she has a job as a reporter - how could they have a secret identity... I'd rather believe that Margot could really see the future. :P
    But, he/she could have a secret - either a relative to one of the nine other people, or an enemy, or something else. :)
    I 've already sent my theory, and  I've  decided to go for an "identity" rather than a person: I think NK is a person, but not "another" one. and that Jessica's mistakes were a clue. 
    It would be great if we could share our theories at the end of all this !!!! 

Yes, we should share them on Wednesday, so it would be after everybody sent theirs to the game organizers!  But as I said before, if you read the "newspaper" an Henry's dead, you will see that the one who wrote the article with all the spelling mistakes is KN reporter, not JS... So... I don't know if that means something...
  • AgathasmykidAgathasmykid British Columbia, Canada
    Hmm, i am still stuck on a theory, however I do agree that the Mystery Man letters spell an identity, not a specific person.
    Hmm, i am still stuck on a theory, however I do agree that the Mystery Man letters spell an identity, not a specific person.
  • Pat_septemberPat_september Gauteng, South Africa
    it will be interesting to find out how many entries have been for the game and if anyone really struck gold.
    *-:)
  • I just sent my theory. I don't know if it is good or not. I hope that they will tell us in the end so that we know how close we were. I agree to post our theories on wednsday. Also I want to say thank you to those who worked on this game. This is the first time I have played. Sorry I didn't know about it before. I had a great time. Also I'm glad that I had the chance to meet you all nice people. I can't wait for the next year. May the best theory win.

• Maria said:
    Yes, we should share them on Wednesday, so it would be after everybody sent theirs to the game organizers!  But as I said before, if you read the "newspaper" an Henry's dead, you will see that the one who wrote the article with all the spelling mistakes is KN reporter, not JS... So... I don't know if that means something...
    You have no idea how frustrated I was when I realized this.  It was a fun time.  Good Luck everyone! 
    Well, I sent in my theory.  It is a bit out there however I thought I might as well try.  Best of luck everyone!
    edited October 2013

Well, I sent in my theory.  It is a bit out there however I thought I might as well try.  Best of luck everyone!
    I couldn't connect the dots either. I can't wait to hear what the real reason was. Might even be right, who knows? Good luck to you too!
    :)>-

I couldn't connect the dots either. I can't wait to hear what the real reason was. Might even be right, who knows? Good luck to you too!
    :)>-

I think, or I hope I have the right motive lol.  Just not sure if I explained it in enough detail.  Oh well, I agree, it will be interesting to see the answer.
    Sent my answer!!! Tomorrow we'll post here our theories and share as we wait for the big revelation on Thursday!!!
  • I sent mine in yesterday and I think I put it together pretty well. There were just two or three things that didn't quite fit in right, but I made them work. 
    Well, it is Wednesday... We need a brave soul to post his/her theory first so the rest would follow... I think I'll post mine around noon (in two hours since I'm at -05:00 GMT) I hope someone does post first because I'm nervous!!!
    edited October 2013

Hi Maria, don't be nervous at all.  I am sure you worked hard and did the best you could!  I will be the "lamb" and go first.  Like I said yesterday my theory was a bit out there but very simple.  Here goes.

Mystery Man:  I took the letters from the clues and concluded that they meant NK Reporter and assumed it meant Unknown.  I then suggested it was Justice Wargrave from "And then there were None." 

Motive:  All the victims in the mystery man game were killed because they had committed a crime that they got a away with.  Therefore, Mr. Wargrave was using his own brand of justice to deal with these 'criminals.'

I am guessing there is much more to it, however I went with an answer that I felt reflected closely to an Agatha Christie story. Best of luck everyone.  I am excited to hear your theories as well!!

• edited October 2013

The Mystery Man was N.K. Reporter.

His motive was to protect his job and promote his career to international status.

I think that he had discovered through the journalistic grapevine, or possibly Jessica had discovered and had told him, that the international news conglomerate was looking for small newspapers to add to its stable.  He had to find a way to bring the Gazette to the attention of the conglomerate.  He also knew that Jessica was the better reporter.  (I concluded this because the spelling errors appeared only in his articles and not Jessica's, and it was later borne out by the fact that it was Jessica who became "the international face of the Gazette".)  If the takeover happened he knew that his job would be in jeopardy.

His primary objective was to kill Jessica, but he needed to camouflage this fact and decided to make it look as if a serial murderer was at work.  This would also serve as a good way to bring the Gazette to international attention.  Rather than choose his victims at random, he hit on the idea of killing people who had committed a crime in the past.  In the minds of the public and the police, this would appear to be a kind of justification for the murders and it could also create the impression that the victims had a common link, which actually they did not have, except that they all lived in St. Mary Mead and had all had their palms read at the village fete.

As a reporter he had access to information in police and court records, newspaper archives and so on and this enabled him to compile his list of victims.

Now we come to Mystic Margot, and this is where I come unstuck.  The Mystery Man must have approached her before the village fete and somehow persuaded her to tell everyone on his list that she foresaw their murders.  He succeeded in getting her to do it but for the life of me I can't see why she agreed.  There doesn't seem to have been any benefit to her other than a bit of publicity.  Her later statement that "I don't know what is truth or what is fiction any more" seems to indicate that she believed some of the future events would be reported honestly and others not, or possibly she was told that only some people on the list would actually be killed and not others, based on the seriousness of their crimes, perhaps.  Even if the whole enterprise was presented to her as an elaborate hoax, I still can't see what was in it for her.  There are only two possibilities that I can think of.  Either Mystery Man was able to blackmail her into taking part, or she did it because she believed it would help someone who was extremely important to her.  I can't find anything to support either of those theories though and I couldn't come up with another theory that explained everything else. 

The only link I found between Margot and any of the other characters came from some external research which informed me that the name Greer means "watchful" or "vigilant" and the name Jessica means "watchful" or "foresight". It's a tenuous link at best, and requires one to suspend one's disbelief in the occult, but perhaps Jessica and Margot were blood relatives (sharing the gift of second sight etc.) and Margot thought she would be helping Jessica in her career.  Even though Agatha Christie did write seriously about the occult, I don't like this as a theory and I don't like using something that wasn't presented to us in the game.

So there you are, I considered myself checkmated by the compilers and did not submit an entry.  My congratulations to them and many thanks for a most enjoyable game.  Roll on next year!

I actually did not tie it up with any of the books :( I thought the characters were not from any story, so I tied things up considering that... Well, I hope it at least made sense... lol... I'll copy it exactly from my mail: 

Mystery Man's idendity: N.K. Reporter

Why is he/she the Mystery Man: Each one of the 8 links found on the Agatha Christie site had words with missing letters, each one was a "crime" the Mystery Man was punishing:

- The first murder (Henry Birtwistle), his crime was "_XTORTION", extortion, which gave us an E
    - The second murder (Patrick Noakes), his crime was "F_AUD", fraud, which gave us an R
    - The third murder (Guto Fernandez), his crime was "SHOPLIF_ING", shoplifting, which gave us a T
    - The fourth murder (Ted Anderson), his crime was "BATT_RY", battery, which gave us another E
    - The fifth murder (Roberta Greatrex), her crime was "PE_JURY", perjury, which gave us another R
    - The sixth murder (Stephen Barron), his crime was "A_S_N", arson, gave us two letters, an R and an O
    - The seventh murder (MArgot Greer, aka Mystic Margot), her crime was "CO_SPIRACY",conspiracy, which gave us an N
    - The eighth murder (Jessica Smith, aka JS Reporter), her crime was "S_ELLING MISTA_ES", spelling mistakes, which gave us a P and a K

ERTERRONPK = N.K. REPORTER

The letter K made all the difference, because if we had an F, the letters would have spelled "Fern Porter", and therefore, the nurse would have been the Mystery Man. However, we got a K, and the only live suspect we have with a K in his name is the N.K. Reporter

As for the motive, I belive it all has to do with the fact revealed to us by Henry Birtwistle, the architect, who also happened to be the first victim of Mystery Man: "I have no comment to make on this ridiculous story, your newspaper is an absolute disgrace, some of your stories lately have been nothing but lies and invention in order to gain readership. Shame on you." The Chipping Cleghorn Gazette was in a big trouble because it was loosing both readers and credibility, which makes me think the paper must have been in some serious financial problems.

For me, the motive for Mystery Man's murders was to get the Gazette gain notoriety again to save it from its ruin. So, the N.K. Reporter must have planned this to get a big story that would put the Chipping Cleghorn Gazette on the map. He could not just kill random people, giving that he must be a very religious person (that I belive since no murder was committed on Sunday 15th and all the bloodbath ended before Sunday 22nd). Therefore, he chose people he knew committed crimes in their past, given that he was in fact a news reporter, and without any doubt he knew, or had the connections to find out, everything in the life of villagers in a small town. So, he chose Ted Anderson, the retired MP, who in the past abused someone, probably his wife (battery); Henry Birtwistle, the architect, who knew someone's secret (probably he knew about Greatrex's perjury or Barron's arson) and used it to extort her (extortion); Roberta Greatrex, the divorceé, who lied under oath probably in the investigations of the curious deceases of all her five ex-husbands (perjury); Patrick Noakes, the artist, who wasn't what everybody thought he was (fraud); Guto Fernandez, the gardener/handyman, who might have been the connection between the architect and Roberta or Stephen Barron, and who also took something that didn't belong to him (shoplifting); Stephen Barron, the hotelier, who seems had burnt up his hotel at least once before (arson); and finally Fern Porter, the nurse, who might have accidentaly killed someone on her care, or done something that led to this person's death (malpractice).

I strongly belive that Margot Greer, aka Mystic Margot, was an accomplice of the N.K. Reporter. Her motive was, as Patrick Noakes pointed out, to gain publicity for herself and her "powers". Which is why the Mystery Man killed her: she was a liability, but she also committed conspiracy, conspiracy to commit murder. She had to die BECAUSE she knew the identity of Mystery Man (aka N.K. Roporter). However, I think she didn't believe she was going to be one of the victims; also, all suspicions where going her way so she had to be enfatic that all the blames where to the Mystery Man and she might have thought that to ease her own conscience.
    Maria and Delicious Death, I like your theories better than mine.  Great work!  It was a pleasure reading them.
  • this is my view exactly as I sent it:
    The Mystery Man is REPORTER N K. As for the motive, at first I thought it was revenge. But no. That would mean that 8 people either : - conspired at some point and decided to do some harm to reporter NK, wich I don’t see. There is no reason for them to do that. How do they meet? Yes, thay do live in St Mary Mead but they have nothing in common. - or individually did something to “offend” reporter NK. Maybe the architect or Ted Anderson or the hotelier would have a reason for that. But a gardener? Or an old lady like Margot? No. The motive is not revenge. Nor love. Nor justice as the killer is trying to fool us. Guto Fernandez a man that once was a religious man does not start shoplifting even if he does not believe in GOD anymore. And Margot – conspiracy – to what and with who? An old lady, never been married and lives with her cats. I doubt she had many friends in the past. And Jessica Smith accused of spelling mistakes when it’s N.K.’s articles full of spelling mistakes not J.S.’s . It’s not about their past or present sins. The only MOTIVE I see is: MONEY and FAME. Because it’s allways about the money. A newspaper that becomes famous, sold out after the first two murders. The national news channels are following their daily posts after a third murder and in the end is to be acquired by the media conglomerate News Incorporation. And that’s why reporter NK creates a sinister plan. Is using Margot by sending her a part of his plan telling her not to go to the media, wich is exactly what she does but not before she includes herself in that sinister plan. She is a woman “desperate for some attention” as Patrick Noakes describes her. He choses his victims and sends them some mysterious invitations, because for some reason they all go to Mystic Margot to have their palms read. This way it appears to be a connection between all of them, because before that there was none. That’s why nobody takes it serious. At this point I don’t know if the killer had had planned the order for them to die, or not, but Henry Birtwistle is the first to attack the newspaper: "I have no comment to make on this ridiculous story, your newspaper is an absolute disgrace, some of your stories lately have been nothing but lies and invention in order to gain readership. Shame on you." And comments like this are very bad for the killer’s plan so Henry is the first to die and then "delivered". Then Patrick Noakes says that he “finds it all rather amusing” and so he is accused of fraud. Guto Fernandez, a man that was chosen for his mysterious past and not for his sins, because they were none, is the first mistake that the killer makes. Ted Anderson, retired MP. The man that is not afraid of anything, capable of combat. Almost daring the killer to attack him. Roberta Greatrex, a woman accustomed to lie it’s been staged to tell the truth in death. Stephen Barron, the hotelier. Becomes more and more afraid, and doubles the security at the hotel. So none of the remaining people on that list is to get to him. But the reporter is not on the list, so he gives one last “interviu” which is sent via email to the gazete. Great alibi for the reporter. And arson is a great way to cover time of death. Margot Greer is no longer needed and she is posed with the hands on her eyes because she never so the killer’s identity. But then the unexpected happens. Jessica Smith, the reporter that was “always chasing the story, never the story itself” discovers who the killer is and must die by oxycodone poisoning, instead of nurse Fern Porter. A drug that it is not prescribed for people with breathing problems and asthma, which now we know that Jessica was asthmatic.The biggest mistake that the killer made and now tries to pin it on nurse Fern Porter. But Jessica was poisoned before she got to the hospital. And so 8 people must die in order to bring fame to a local newspaper and, thus, fortune to those who own it. And I suspect that Reporter N.K. is either the owner of the newspaper or has a higher position in it.
    I re-read my post and saw the ending was missing... I think it was long, so here comes part 2...

All our suspects, but one, died in the hands of the Mystery Man. I belive the nurse, Fern Porter, was let alive to be the one to take all the blame, that was her punishment. She was ready to die, she said so in her last interview, she wasn't afraid anymore. So, she was spared only to be thrown in jail because "last man standing must be Mystery Man" in the eyes of the police. But, after Margot's death, the police had to let her go because they couldn't find something linking her to the murders, there was no evidence. Which is why Mystery Man (N.K. Reporter) strikes again, this time killing his colleague J.S. Reporter, aka Jessica Smith.

I believe Jessica Smith's murder was a crime of opportunity. She was getting all the attention in this ordeal because she was the one sent as a correspondent of the Chipping Cleghorn Gazette overseas. This must have made N.K. Reporter jealous, he was doing all the work but she was getting all the glory. So, her faith was sealed; her death was the one last piece of the puzzle to incriminate the nurse, Fern Porter. She died in her hospital, during her shift, and of an overdose (of oxycodone that you can't go around and buy without a prescription). It was perfect, from a point of view. This way he took revenge on Jessica (who made all the spelling mistakes posting the news as if they where written by him) and got away for murder letting the police have a culprit in custody. Or, at least, that was his plan.

Finally, I belive N.K. Reporter is a man because of the murder methods he used: he killed and then dismembered Henry and sent him to the police in bags; he killed and dressed up Patrick many times to get the snapshoots in the photobooth; he pushed Guto into fresh concrete in a construction site (the mall); he killed and set up a clock with Ted as a battery, and he was a strong man and a trained MP; he set a fire on the hotel where Stephen was hidding himself and prevented him from escaping; he killed Margot's cats to leave them with her in a way to remind us of the three monkeys (speak no evil, hear no evil, see no evil); and he left Roberta with a bible, posing as if taking an oath in a courtroom, which meant he stayed with her until rigor mortis began.
    @ Agathasmykid: i like your theory best since mine is very much on the same line of suppositions...
    :D
    @Delicious_Death, @ Maria, @ Anamaria Ciop: such great work, great intuition and attention do detail, one of you will probably win.
    =D>

As for my theory, I could not see any connection between the victims (apart from Mystic Margot's palm reading). I've probably spent two days turning the fact in and out. I see now that some facts I left out and should have taken them into consideration (I've read, but totally left out the fact that the newspaper was having financial difficulties).  
    :((
    oh, well, good for you all, for using this important piece of info.

My solution follows. And I must thank my husband for his cool and detached point of view.
    B-)

The clues lead me to believe that The Mystery Man is “REPORTER NK”. (YAY, I got this bit right)

Who is he? I believe he is Re-Porter NK, RE-lated to (sister Fern) Porter, NK standing for Not-Known (relation not known to us) or Natural-Killer. Either Sister Fern Porter’s brother or her son (the age of some of the characters is hard to guess), but I would incline to believe “Reporter NK” is Sister Porter’s son. This is why he did not kill her.
    Why were the others killed? Maybe the Reporter NK is obsessed with the seven deadly sins and so he observed the small community of St. Mary Mead and thought he found seven people who committed what he deemed are the seven deadly sins. He then took the divine law into his own hands and executed them, one by one. (Now here I tried my best to match the victims with the seven deadly sins; not a piece of cake).
    1. Henry Birtwistle, who was found to have committed acts of extortion in his life, was found guilty of GREED.
    2. Patrick Noakes, artist, who was found to have committed acts of fraud, overconfident, was found guilty of PRIDE.
    3. Guto Fernandes, gardener, who was found to have committed acts of shoplifting, stealing, was found guilty of GLUTTONY (over-indulgence). Maybe this is why he left his monastery in the first place.
    4. Ted Anderson, Retired MP, who was found to have committed acts of battery (violence), was found guilty of WRATH (rage).
    5. Roberta Greatrex, married 5 times, who was found to have committed acts of perjury, was found guilty of LUST. (maybe where she killed her husbands in order to be able to marry again and again, thus breaking her sacred wedding vows).
    6. Stephen Barron, hotelier, who was found to have committed acts of pyromania, arson, was found guilty of ENVY (maybe whatever he burned down was because he could not have what others had so then nobody else was allowed to possess something he could not own).
    7. Margot Greer, who was found to have committed acts of conspiracy, of “dancing with the evil”, of not telling what she has seen and heard, was found guilty of SLOTH (avoidance of work of any kind, e.g. telling the truth).
    8. Reporter JS probably found out the truth about Reporter NK and so was killed so that the secret won’t come out. The spelling mistakes were just a coincidence – or were planted there by Reporter NK - after all, a reporter should know his spelling?
    :D

Good luck to all and to all a good night!
    #:-S

PS Anyone else entered for the 1st chapter of "write your own Christie"?
    ;;)