featuring Miss Marple

Is Miss Marple always necessary in the Miss Marple novels? For instance in A Pocketful of Rye ...Could Inspector Neele solve the crime on his own? 

Comments

• Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom

Miss Marple isn't necessary in Murder At The Vicarage which could have been solved by Rev Clement assisted by Dr Haydock or Colonel Melchett and The Moving Finger could have been solved by Jerry and The Detective but the others need Miss Marple, why would Carrie Louise have's sister asked Miss Marple to stay with Carry Louise is Miss Marple wasn't going to solve it and Miss Marple being sent to Carrie Louise is a huge Motivational issue like Dolly Bantry calling on Miss Marple in Body In The Library and Jason Raphiel summoning Miss Marple from beyond the Grave.

Murder At The Vicarage could have had Rev Clement and Dr Haydock as his side-kick and The Moving Finger would have been better if Jerry and the Detective had solved it but Miss Marple went to the Lodge in Pocketfu of Rye TO investigate so it was importand she was the sleuth in that one.

I WISH I could delete my 1st post
  • tudestudes Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    @silvana, I agree. In a Pocket Full of Rye, Miss Marple isn't necessary at all. Inspector Neele could solve the crime. I think one of the reasons is the weak plot. Miss Marple's entrance seems a little far-fetched.
  • edited September 2017
    @tudes, I think Miss Marple's role is necessary in A Pocketful Of Rye. Miss Marple makes her entrance when she hears of the death of Gladys Martin, whom she had trained. Gladys' death made such an impact on Miss Marple she feels that she has to investigate her death; she has to avenge Gladys' death. She knows Gladys and so she's able to provide Inspector Neele some information on what kind of girl she was, probably more so than anyone in the Yewtree Lodge household, don't you think? That's the only thing that ties Miss Marple to the case and I think it works nicely here. It adds a pathos to the story whereas if Inspector Neele solved it on his own you wouldn't get that. In the end when Miss Marple reads Glady's letter, it evokes a sense of tragedy that again you wouldn't get if Neele read it. 
  • Miss Marple always has a role in the books, so the question is both dramatically can she be removed - as in Pocked full of Rye, as @ChristieFanForLife mentioned above, and also who will do her part. The one book in which I think she is really on the sidelines and not necessary is "The moving finger". I think Mrs. Dane Calthorpe could do both - figuring out the murder, getting Megan to play her part and answering Jerry in the end about the need not to avoid danger.

I think the way to think about it is Can Miss Marple Be removed from the Book without Harming the Book, Could someone else be the Sleuth, In 2 Books the answer in my view is yes, Murder At The Vicarage where Sleuthing duties could be dome by The Parson (I love that word) and The Moving Finger where Sleuthing duties could be done by Jerry and The Policeman in charge, Caribbean Mystery and Nemesis are  odd, If Miss M wasn't in the 1st why have her in the 2nd and if she is in the 2nd she has to be in the 1st, I see no point in removing her From Pocketful of Rye in fact having her shows Gladys Martin had an important past and makes her unique amongst Victms.