Guess The Connection

Comments

• Anne, didn't Dulcie have dark hair? Everyone else he fell for had red hair but I had thought the funny thing was that he finally married a brunette.
  • Mrs Blair said:
    Anne, didn't Dulcie have dark hair? Everyone else he fell for had red hair but I had thought the funny thing was that he finally married a brunette.

I have a book called;

"The Life and Crimes of Agatha Christie" by Charles Osborne and on page 24 when describing "The Murder on the Links", it says;

"...it seems likely that Hastings will propose marriage to the auburn-haired beauty he has met...."

Auburn is dark red!

I do not have access to my copy of the  book so I used this reference to check my facts!

• Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom

Thank you, Here is Mine;

George Barton__________ Camilla Tressilian_________Father Gorman

Forgot to say, The answer is quite specific Good Luck
  • @ Anne The next time I pass a book store I'll pop in and look! :)
  • edited June 2014
    Mrs Blair said:
    Anne, didn't Dulcie have dark hair? Everyone else he fell for had red hair but I had thought the funny thing was that he finally married a brunette.

I have a book called;

"The Life and Crimes of Agatha Christie" by Charles Osborne and on page 24 when describing "The Murder on the Links", it says;

"...it seems likely that Hastings will propose marriage to the auburn-haired beauty he has met...."

Auburn is dark red!

I do not have access to my copy of the  book so I used this reference to check my facts!

Interesting! I thought the same as @Mrs Blair and so just opened my copy of Murder on the Links. Page 2 says "I looked up now, frowning slightly, into a pretty, impudent face, surmounted by a rakish little red hat. A thick cluster of black curls hid each ear." Black, not auburn, or the more vague 'dark hair'. That appears later, page 115 "I wish to see a lady who is staying here. A young English lady, small and dark." So either she wears a wig during their first two meetings, or for some strange reason the black hair is later changed to auburn. I don't have the book you quoted from, but it seems more likely for it to refer to The Mysterious Affair at Styles, where Hastings actually proposed to a red haired young lady...
  • Well it's not Anne.clough.s fault, she just looked at a book that seemed reliable, BLAME CHARLES OSBORNE!!!!!!!! I'm joking, I'm sure shifa.shomron is correct in that Charles probably got a little confused. Anyway my guess for the connection.....

all three were old, wealthy, invited people to something (the seaside house and a birthday party (or in Father Gorman's case, got invited into the dying ladies house before he got murdered)) and then all three got murdered. (SPOILERS) But were not the first murder the killer killed.  

• Sorry for any confusion. I was planning on doing characters with red hair and already had Tommy and young Ronald and needed another. I was considering Cynthia from Styles but then started to wonder if Hasting's wife had red hair. I turned to my reference book to check and there it was in print "Auburn-haired". I had no idea it wasn't accurate. Guess I should have stuck to Cynthia!

OK the new one. The only thing I can think of is that the motives for their deaths were not personal.

George was not meant to die, he was killed by mistake when the murderer meant to kill someone else.

Camilla was killed to frame somebody, for her murder, who the murderer wanted punished.

Father Gorman was killed because he happened to hear a Confession and had a list of names on him.

I hadn't thought of that which would have been much better than what I have in mind as the answer.
  • I hadn't thought of that which would have been much better than what I have in mind as the answer.
    I'm glad you think that, but I will have to use my little grey cells to come up with another idea!
  • Did they all invite someone to something or were invited. George invited people back to the murder scene. Father Gormon was invited into th dying womemn's presence. And Camillia invited people to her house. 

No.

Tenuous Clue!

The word Invite is appropriate

• StathisZavitsanosStathisZavitsanos Attiki, Greece
    They all invited people in a Dinner in which someone died?
    No
    Think of a Book and think of a word in one of the Thread Titles
  • HerculeAndAchilleHerculeAndAchille Harrogate, England
    All of them were witnesses to death? Gorman and Mrs Davis, Camilla and her husband, Barton and Rosemary…?
    I am afraid I haven't played this game for such a long time I have completely forgotten what I had in mind for the connection, someone else have a go and I apologise to you all.

I have remembered if you still want to play

Could you give me a hint?

Eileen, Anne and Maureen.

Eileen, as in Miss Rich in Cat Among the Pigeons?

No

OH, you mean "Bundle" Brent?
    Yes

I was asked for a clue and I gave one all be it rather obscure
    So the connection between Eileen, Anne and Maureen are the same as that between Father Gorman, Camilla and Barton?
    Yes

Yes up to a point.

This is a better clue and this one applies 100% Ronnie Devereaux, Lavinia Pinkerton and Rosemary Bartlett.