Body in the library

williamjwilliamj Vancouver canada
I would like to take up this book in my book club for discussion but am having difficulty locating questions I could use. Can anyone refer me to a discussion guide? Thank you

Comments

• I didn't find a discussion guide, but "Body in the library was "book of the month" here, and perhaps you can find some ideas there:

http://community-archive.agathachristie.com/discussion/181/january-2014-book-of-the-month-the-body-in-the-library

Some of my own ideas that you may be able to use:

For me, the most interesting aspect of the book (though it is a side issue in the book) is the relationships in the Conway family. The too-close-knit family, the son- and daughter-in-law who are a kind of replacement of the lost daughter and son, and the effect on them, and the way this moves the book (Adelaide's growing independence as the catalyist to Jefferson's attachment to Ruby). 

Also, perhaps, the similarity and differences between the two "Families" - the Jeffersons vs. Josie and Ruby - the former closeknit and affectionate, The latter alienated, but in both cases the dominant character is actually using the others to answer his/her own needs. And especially comparing the resolution of the two family issues.
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    You could ask which Characters liked or Disliked, Did people find the book believable, How do people think the book compares to other Miss Marple Books/ Do people think Dolly should have been a more regular Side-kick like Hastings or Ariadne with Poirot, Would people have liked to see Craddock in more Miss Marple Books? If a version was made today who would they like to appear?
  • williamjwilliamj Vancouver canada
    Great ideas thank you
  • edited September 2017
    Responding to Tommy's ideas, Mrs. Bantry also appears earlier in "The thirteen problems (The tuesday club murders) in chapters 7-12, and later in "The Mirror Cracked". It could be very interesting to compare the similarities and differences in the percieved character and behavior of Mrs. Bantry in the three books - the english-style feminine rather unassertive woman in the teusday club members, the responsible wife and homeowner of a mansion facing a crisis in the body in the library, an unencumbered widow, living in a small lodge, allowing herself to behave rather unconventionally in "The mirror cracked". If one or more of your readers would read the other books, you could ask them to show the development of the character..

Also, there is a third "family" - completely different from the two others - Basil and his "girlfriend". again, a comparison in terms of conventional vs. unconventional, surface amity vs. surface confliction and underlying stress vs. underlying strength of the bond.
    You could ask if people think Craddock would have been any good in a Book where he was sleuth or of people would like to see Craddock in a Book as the sleuth like Poirot's Battle?
  • @Tommy_A_Jones, Craddock is the sleuth in other books - e.g. 4.50 from paddington, a murder is announced and several short stories. However, he does not appear at all in "The body in the library". Maybe you mean to ask about Inspector Harper? 
    Oh, For some reason I thought he appeared in Body In The Library
    I didn't find a discussion guide, but "Body in the library was "book of the month" here, and perhaps you can find some ideas there:

http://community-archive.agathachristie.com/discussion/181/january-2014-book-of-the-month-the-body-in-the-library

Some of my own ideas that you may be able to use:

For me, the most interesting aspect of the book (though it is a side issue in the book) is the relationships in the Conway family. The too-close-knit family, the son- and daughter-in-law who are a kind of replacement of the lost daughter and son, and the effect on them, and the way this moves the book (Adelaide's growing independence as the catalyist to Jefferson's attachment to Ruby). 

Also, perhaps, the similarity and differences between the two "Families" - the Jeffersons vs. Josie and Ruby - the former closeknit and affectionate, The latter alienated, but in both cases the dominant character is actually using the others to answer his/her own needs. And especially comparing the resolution of the two family issues.
    This is excellent help thank you so much
  • Thank you! See also my later comment.

I have just realised Craddock is not the main sleuth that is Miss Marple, It would have been nice if he had a book to himself like Battle did and Race and Ariadne although the last 2 weren't sleuth's

I am going to have my book club meeting on Nov. 7. I will let you know how it goes. Right now I am planning an evening menu--I'm trying to figure out what would be appropriate to serve. Cheers!
  • How about a Christmas pudding?

Muffins
  • @williamj
    Perhaps we need to know if your book club group have read any other Christie novels. I like to focus on just what is in the story rather than compare to other stories. So, you can discuss how effective particular characters were. Alternatively, you could discuss how different society was for the period set in the book. Ruby Keen the 18-year-old dancer living in a hotel. Contrast today with the fact that 16-year-old Girl Guide Pamela had been approached by a "film producer" and offered a screen test. The fact that Dinah Lee and Adelaide are in a relationship, lots of points to discuss here if the group is bold enough. I would discuss everything in relation to the period of the book, written in 1942.
    Let us know what you decide on and how it went.
    Get a Bottle of Cherry Brandy in.