Guess The Connection

Comments

• Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    Were they all illegitimate?

I mean in each case is one Parent illegitimate?
  • Is it that all three have, or are supposed to have, one parent who is mentally unbalanced? Ann Shapland claims a mother who is senile (it turns out at the end that the senile woman is not her real mother, she just "borrowed" her as a smoke screen), Violet has a father who is an escaped convict and is "not quite right", David Angcatell's mother (now dead) is described as "unbalanced" and "an invalid". 

If I'm correct, someone else please volunteer to write the next riddle - I've just written two in the "Victim" string!
  • HerculeAndAchilleHerculeAndAchille Harrogate, England
    Yes, Tali! Right again. I think @Tommy_A_Jones deserves a shot for working so hard
    No, Fair's Fair, Tali Got it I shall try and perfect the one I have in mind as I have a Niggling doubt I have something wrong
  • edited September 2017
    O.K.! But it's not very clever - I'm sorry!

What is the connection between the stories:
    "The dead Harlequin"
    "The affair at the Victory Ball"

and the book 
    "Evil under the Sun".
  • An added hint: in the element of the connection, the two stories are more similar than the book is to the two stories.
    I seem to remember that in the Affair of the Victory Ball, one of the guests dressed up as a Harlequin...
  • Yes, the guests in "Victory ball" dressed up as the "comedie del arte" characters including Harlequin,, but there is nothing related to Harlequin in "Evil under the sun". What I mean is a common theme to all three - the book and the two stories.
    Oh! Was it the theme of lovers - i.e. the death of a lover? Arlena Marshall, Coco and the murder at Charnley?
  • No. Arlena had a husband and lover, Coco had a fiancee, and the victim at Charnley had a wife. Not a connection.
    edited September 2017
    Is the connection to do with the murders that took place?
  • Not with the murders themselves, but with the logistics connected to the murders
    edited September 2017
    Is it that, in the murders committed, the murderer "couldn't have possibly done it", or that it was nearly impossible for them to have done it, so they engineered an alibi...?
  • Very close! In all murders the way they seem, the murderer "couldn't have done it", but something specific is done in all three cases to make it look like that.
    Oh! Does one of the characters masquerade as the victim in each case? I remember SPOILER in Victory Ball one of the guests pretends to be the victim by switching costumes, Mrs Redfern pretends to be Arlena, and a similar thing happened in the Dead Harlequin, did it not?
  • edited September 2017
    Oh! Does one of the characters masquerade as the victim in each case? I remember SPOILER in Victory Ball one of the guests pretends to be the victim by switching costumes, Mrs Redfern pretends to be Arlena, and a similar thing happened in the Dead Harlequin, did it not?
    Right! SPOILER: In both stories, the murderer masquerades as the victim after the murder, in order to confuse the time-schedule of the murder, and in "Evil under the sun" the murderer's female accomplice masquerades as the victim before the murder, with the same purpose. In "The dead Harlequin" it is the victim's brother, and his identification as the victim is supported when his female accomplice calls out to him, pretending he is the victim. Incidentially, in all three cases there is a man-woman team of criminals, cooperating to make the time-shift believable. 

Your turn!
    Thanks, Tali!
    Here are my characters:
    Tuppence Beresford, Marina Gregg, and Mrs Burton-Cox
  • Does Mrs. Argyle also belong to the group?
    Yes, I see this was very easy.
  • O.K., I'm leaving it to someone else to make the final connection!
    Since this one was easy, could I suggest three more?
    Mark Gaskell, Jerry Burton and Iris Marle.
    Were They all in the War?
  • On the first 3, I was going to say that they had had children who had died, but I don't think that applies to the second 3 at all...
    You're right, Mrs Blair, that isn't the connection. You're wrong, I'm afraid, Tommy.

All 3 Grew up with Sisters, Mark's Sister was Conway's Daughter, Jerry's Sister Moved To Lymstock with him and Iris's sister was the 1st Victim in Sparcling Cyanide

• edited September 2017

Conway's daughter was Mark's wife, not his sister.

• All three are involved in two murders each.

Are they all tied to someone

What do you mean by 'tied to someone'?