What Poirot novels do you think would be better suited to Miss Marple?

13»

Comments

• I checked again: they meet in Dolly's garden. This is after MM meets Gwenda and then Giles in London, and before she goes to Dillmouth.
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    Oh right, I shall make a point of noticing next time I read it.
  • HerculeAndAchilleHerculeAndAchille Harrogate, England
    What about Poirot novels that T&T might enjoy detecting, and vice versa? I thought The Big Four was inherently T&T in its pieced-together conspiracy narrative, and I thought they would certainly enjoy the odd bit of detection in that. 

By the Pricking 
    of my Thumbs would, I feel, have been rather enjoyable for either Poirot or Miss Marple (it is one of the only T&Ts, I think, where no conspiracy - either Nazi or spy - is a central part of the plot).

I Don't Think By The Pricking of My Thumbs could have anybody but Tommy And Tuppence but I do think if Ariadne was with him N or M would have been good with Poirot and If The Lawrence from the JH Adaptation of Nemesis had been a recurring Character with Miss Marple N or M would be good for her there has to be a Male sleuth and a Feale sleuth so if not Lawrence maybe Miss Marple could team up with Race.
  • Poor fluffy little Miss Marple didn't have enough grey cells (she had about half of what most people had plus her cells were decaying) to figure out what might have happened on the Nile- besides, she was so old and sensitive that a snake might have bitten her and died.
  • HerculeAndAchilleHerculeAndAchille Harrogate, England
    @PoirotBabosaGalaxy, I'm afraid I must disagree with you there! Just because Miss Marple doesn't flaunt her abundance of little grey cells doesn't mean they aren't there - in fact, she is a highly intelligent and perceptive woman. As for the snake, no such poisonous snake is ever seen in "Death on the Nile" so I doubt Miss Marple would come across it if Poirot didn't...
  • @PoirotBabosaGalaxy, I'm afraid I must disagree with you there! Just because Miss Marple doesn't flaunt her abundance of little grey cells doesn't mean they aren't there - in fact, she is a highly intelligent and perceptive woman. As for the snake, no such poisonous snake is ever seen in "Death on the Nile" so I doubt Miss Marple would come across it if Poirot didn't...
    Thank you for engaging. Welcome to the Temple in the Jungle of the Nile where Miss Marple proved to M. Poirot that there was a treacherous snake out there...
    "Oh, yes, what was it about a snake?" Miss Marple hesitated for a moment, "oh, dear- it must have slipped my mind, no, there must be a mistake.. There wasn't a snake..."
    Colonel Race caught himself snickering as Poirot bellowed a laugh at the old scatter-brained fluffy lady.
    Miss Marple smirked.

(In the 1978 movie Death on the Nile, when Peter Ustinov as Poirot was refreshing his "toilet" Colonel Race came to his rescue and slaughtered a cobra.)

Poirot couldn't have taken the upright old spinster lady any seriously than he did Mrs. Otterbourne. Poor dear, she got shot, remember? Angela Lansbury was absolutely fabulous! 
    Poirot turned to Colonel Race.
    "I suppose the old dear might have the strength to slide up on the side of this pyramid," Race commented. 
    "I'm not sure," Poirot said very worried.
    Poor little Miss Marple tried to climb up the temple that she wobbled her umbrella clutched tightly above her optic tentacles. Then all of the suddenly, Poirot and Race were dumbfounded as the ruthless, shrewd old sleuth glided magically over them with her umbrella fully opened.
    Miss Marple smiled as she landed on top of the temple and looked down below at the other two detectives followed by something slithering behind... 
    Poirot and Race were frightened to look back as they had sensed an ominous hissing sound coming from behind...
    "Well," Miss Marple shouted at last, "I do suppose you two need to exercise your little grey cells a little bit much faster..."
    Miss Marple pointed her umbrella at the hissing creature. It was a snake.
    "Uh-oh!" Race exclaimed.
    Miss Marple, indeed sharper than most, had the higher ground.
    Poirot stood still in terror.
    Thus Colonel Race pulled out a great saber over his optic tentacles and pointed it directly at the snake. Strangely enough as he had felt undoubtedly silly about underestimating Miss Marple, Colonel Race assumed his attack position readily to strike...
  • watermarkwatermark Portland, USA
    I definitely could see Miss Marple in "Crooked House" taking the place of Charles Hayward. I know it's not a Hercule Poirot novel but I have only started reading Agatha Christie's books and did read "CH." I also think the setting of "Murder on the Orient Express," which I did read (and saw the recent film version as well) would be alright for an elderly lady as there's not much moving about in a stranded train. 
    Not BETTER suited perhaps but obviously Miss Marple could have suited After The Funeral and Mrs McGinty's Dead but also Cat Among The Pigeons, Evil Under The Sun and Death On The Nile aswell, I am sorry If I have suggested these before.