Death on the Nile Movie Casting

GKCfanGKCfan Wisconsin, United States
edited December 2017 in All Poirot novels
Now that we know that Kenneth Branagh will probably be returning as Poirot in Death on the Nile, please share your thoughts on who you think should be cast in the movie.

Simon Doyle

Linnet Ridgeway-Doyle

Jacqueline De Bellefort

Cornelia Robson
Andrew Pennington
Tim Allerton
Joanna Southwood

Mrs. Allerton

Jim Fanthorp

Rosalie Otterbourne

Mrs. Salome Otterbourne

Lord Windlesham

Mrs. Van Schuyler

Miss Bowers

Colonel Race

Signor Guido Richetti

Mr. Ferguson

Louise Bourget

Fleetwood

Dr. Bessner

Comments

• Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    GKCfan said:
    Now that we know that Kenneth Branagh will probably be returning as Poirot in Death on the Nile, please share your thoughts on who you think should be cast in the movie.

Simon Doyle

Linnet Ridgeway-Doyle

Jacqueline De Bellefort

Cornelia Robson

Andrew Pennington

Tim Allerton

Joanna Southwood

Mrs. Allerton

Jim Fanthorp

Rosalie Otterbourne

Mrs. Salome Otterbourne

Lord Windlesham

Mrs. Van Schuyler

Miss Bowers

Colonel Race

Signor Guido Richetti

Mr. Ferguson

Louise Bourget

Fleetwood

Dr. Bessner

Simon Doyle - Paul Bettany

Linnette Doyle - Sharon Stone (Can't think of anyone else

Jacqueline De Bellefort - Ruby Bental

Maggie Smith - Mrs Van Schuler

Emma Thompson - Mrs Bowers

Immelda Staunton - Mrs Allerton

Josh O'Connor - Tim Allerton

Paul Ritter - Richetti

Stephen Berkhoff - Dr Bessner

Mark Rylance  - Communist Lord

Oliver Milburn - English Lawyer

David Soul - Pennington

Adrian Scarborough - Dr Bessner

Stephen Berkhoff - Pennington's Partner

Martin Jarvis English Senior Lawyer

Helen Grice Joanne Smallwood

Agelina Jolie - Louise Bourget

Oh yes and Anthony Andrews as Colonel Eace
  • HerculeAndAchilleHerculeAndAchille Harrogate, England
    I should have liked to see Monica Dolan (who played Miss Gilchrist in the ITV adaptation of After the Funeral) as Miss Robson...
    Yes, she would be good.
  • They're not gonna cast all those suspects. They'll have to consolidate some characters into one. Too much. 
    Well they don't have to have the English Lawyers Uncle or the American Lawyers Business Partner (Played by Sam Wannemaker in the Ustinov Film amd they don't have to have Miss Robson's Mother and if they are going to have Poirot going onto the ship after there has been a Murder there is no need to have Race which means that rules out the person Race is after in the book but if Race is in it that rules out the English Lawyer like in the Ustinov Film and if things start on The Boat gone are Linnette's Servants apart from Miss Bourgette
  • GKCfanGKCfan Wisconsin, United States
    edited January 2018
    The previous film, TV, and radio versions have all kept, dropped, and combined different characters.  I wonder if there's going to be an effort to pick different combinations to save amongst the minor cast.
    It will still disgruntle people because who is a minor character to one person may not be to another, The Film didn't have the Allerton's who I think are important and the DS version didn't have Miss Bowers who I think is important  but the Film had the American Lawyers Partner and Linnette's Servants none of whom are important.
  • AgathasmykidAgathasmykid British Columbia, Canada
    Hopefully we can get a David Suchet cameo this time.
    What sort of cameo would you like to see, Agathasmykid?
  • Oh, my gosh! I'm so excited about this upcoming movie!
  • dyemerydyemery Chappaqua, NY
    Jeff Goldblum as Andrew Pennington!

As good a suggestion as any.
  • stephenstephen London, United Kingdom
    I thought that the cast of the David Suchet version was pretty perfect. I did in fact prefer this version to that of the Peter Ustinov version and I thought that Frances de la Tour playing Salome Otterbourne was an absolute hoot. I loved that line (referring to her imagination of the boat sinking) 'I do hope that we won't go down M Poirot; can you imagine being nibbled at by haddock and carp?!' Or words very similar to this. 
    I think that whoever plays Mrs. Otterbourne has to have a flair for comedy.
  • PoirotBabosaGalaxyPoirotBabosaGalaxy Fort Lauderdale
    GKCfan said:
    I think that whoever plays Mrs. Otterbourne has to have a flair for comedy.
    I would love to see Dame Joan Collins play Mrs. Otterbourne. 

Mrs. Otterbourne ought to have a mysterious yet stunning appearance alongside with being scandalous writer. 

And in this upcoming movie, Mrs. Otterbourne ought to be a Press Tabloid Writer who's possibly spread the worst kinds of news about that spoiled little brat, Linnet Doyle.
  • PaulPaul Australia
    This version needs big stars if it wants to match Murder on the Oreient Express' success. I think Goldie Hawn would be great as Salome Otterbourn. I know the character was UK in the book but Branagh shook up a few of the nationalities for Murder on the Orient Express. Chris Hemsworth for Simon Doyle, Claire Foy from the Crown for Jaqueline. Denzel Washington for the American lawyer.  Jennifer Lawrence for Linnet. Helen Mirren for Mrs Van Schuyler. Emma Thompson for Miss Bowers (she would make a good Salome too). 
  • Paul said:
    This version needs big stars if it wants to match Murder on the Oreient Express' success. I think Goldie Hawn would be great as Salome Otterbourn. I know the character was UK in the book but Branagh shook up a few of the nationalities for Murder on the Orient Express. Chris Hemsworth for Simon Doyle, Claire Foy from the Crown for Jaqueline. Denzel Washington for the American lawyer.  Jennifer Lawrence for Linnet. Helen Mirren for Mrs Van Schuyler. Emma Thompson for Miss Bowers (she would make a good Salome too). 
    Good choices in my opinion.

Goldie Hawn would be wrong for Salome Otterbourne Imelda Staunton would be would be better, but I agree the Cast-list has to have impressive names mixed with less well-known ones, Emma Thompson should play Miss Bowers, the Actresss often confused with Glenn close (I can't remember her name), Goldie Hawn or Shirley Macclaine could play Miss Van Schuler

• PaulPaul Australia
    edited July 2018
    Keeping in mind that Branagh mentioned old friends when he spoke about who he would cast, Lily James (from his Cinderella) as Jaqueline might suit.

Hopefully nobody from Orient Express is recast. 1978's Death on the Nile was much more effective with new stars (even though Albert Finney would have been welcome back). I found Evil Under the Sun had too many returning stars in different roles. Angela Lansbury gets a pass in The Mirror Crack'd because she was an ideal Miss Marple. 
  • Tom Hiddleston would be perfect as Simon Doyle, and also fits the 'old friends' thing.
  • AgathasmykidAgathasmykid British Columbia, Canada
    GKCfan said:
    What sort of cameo would you like to see, Agathasmykid?
    Well, for starters it would be nice to see other books mentioned.  For example, they could have Poirot say something like "I remember a case involving a doctor....Ackroyd was his name."

However I hope David Suchet gets a cameo in this one as I am not sure if there will be enough interest for them to make a third movie (although I hope they do).  It would be a shame if Suchet didn't get a cameo in at least one of them.
  • PaulPaul Australia
    Gal Gadot announced as Linnet Ridgeway - a terrific start to the casting.

Who is Gal Gadot?

• PaulPaul Australia
    Gal Gadot plays Wonder Woman. Like Daisy Rodley from Star wars, she will bring in a younger fan base.