Prologue and Title Announced

TuppenceTuppence City of London, United Kingdom
edited September 2014 in Write Your Own Christie
We asked our winners to pen a short prologue to the story, now our collaborative novel is complete. Our writers submitted some intriguing prologues along with suggestions for the title of the novel.

Head over to Write Your Own Christie to find out the winner of each.

Comments

• Pat_septemberPat_september Gauteng, South Africa
    edited September 2014
    Well done, Ladies!

image "Everything Is Awesome!"
  • TuppenceTuppence City of London, United Kingdom
    The Write Your Own Christie novel is now available to download as a PDF: www.agathachristie.com/write-your-own-christie/read-the-story-so-far/

This work has been officially licenced by Agatha Christie Limited in respect of the Write Your Own Christie competition only.

Please note that in no way are individuals permitted to write any book based on the literary works and/or characters of Agatha Christie without obtaining written permission from Agatha Christie Limited.

edited September 2014
    Thank you for making the Write Your Own Christie novel available in PDF.
    Beautiful cover as well!
  • CrookedQuinCrookedQuin California, United States
    Is there a way to access the link? I'm not sure it's working correctly. It takes me to the 404 not found page on this website. I really want to read it as it seems very intriguing! Thanks!!
    Thank you GKCFan, I was just about to post the same link! :)
    @CrookedQuin: Enjoy the read and thank you for your interest in "Murder in a Green and Pleasant Land", a mystery murder written by the community of agathachristie.com during the "Write Your Own Christie Competition"2014! ;)
  • Hope you find it and enjoy
    Thanks!
  • GKCfanGKCfan Wisconsin, United States
    Pat_september, you're welcome!
    It was a thoroughly great story! I loved how it was a twist on the story. Thanks @GKCfan for giving the link.
  • GKCfanGKCfan Wisconsin, United States
    You're welcome!
  • JaneCJaneC Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
    Dear Agatha Christie community,

I've just downloaded the Pdf of 'Murder in a Green and Pleasant Land' and I'm enjoying the writing, which I am interpreting as an elegant and slightly humourous homage to the Queen of Crime. Very well done!

I'm wondering if another competition is on the cards? It seems as though there are quite a few of us fans out there who would enjoy the focus of writing for a 'publication' (albeit a non-commercial one). The competition, sanctioned by Agatha Christie Ltd. does allow for the use of Agatha Christie's characters, and therefore an outlet for our writing inspired by her work. I suppose I'm just wondering where the outlets would be for work which includes Agatha Christie's characters, without running into copy write issues.

Any ideas?

JaneC
  • HerculeAndAchilleHerculeAndAchille Harrogate, England
    JaneC said:
    Dear Agatha Christie community,

I've just downloaded the Pdf of 'Murder in a Green and Pleasant Land' and I'm enjoying the writing, which I am interpreting as an elegant and slightly humourous homage to the Queen of Crime. Very well done!

I'm wondering if another competition is on the cards? It seems as though there are quite a few of us fans out there who would enjoy the focus of writing for a 'publication' (albeit a non-commercial one). The competition, sanctioned by Agatha Christie Ltd. does allow for the use of Agatha Christie's characters, and therefore an outlet for our writing inspired by her work. I suppose I'm just wondering where the outlets would be for work which includes Agatha Christie's characters, without running into copy write issues.

Any ideas?

JaneC
    Hi Jane! I think that's a very intriguing idea... I wonder if we would run into copyright issues if we used no more than the first sentence of one of her books - an online "publication" would be, I think, very interesting. I, for one, would love to participate in the writing process.

Maybe we could make a separate discussion dedicated to this?

Let me know what you think!
    HI there,

Sorry it's taken me a while to get back to you. I haven't been checking the site. As far as I can tell, Agatha Christie's copyright includes her characters. The use of her work as inspiration for the 'write your own' competition was sanctioned by Agatha Christie Ltd. solely for the competition, and the resulting work wasn't published commercially. I quote from the title page of 'Murder in a Green and Pleasant Land' (the result of the 'write your own' competition:

"This work has been officially licensed by Agatha Christie Limited in respect of the Write Your Own Christie competition only.
    Please note that in no way are individuals permitted to write any book based on the literary works and/or characters of Agatha Christie without obtaining official written permission from Agatha Christie Limited."

I think we could publish on the Agatha Christie website, as people do, gaining comments from other fans, but it would be good to do something a little more 'complete' and edited.

I know that the competition involved input from Agatha Christie Ltd. (I think her grandson helped to judge it), so another competition might be hard to organise.

Something less formal and a separate discussion might work,

Any ideas?

Jane
    Hi again,

I'm also thinking about contacting Agatha Christie Ltd. to see if they would consider running the 'write your own Christie' competition again. Either as they did before, which was a work by different authors, each writing a chapter of a short novel, or as a collection of short stories inspired by the Queen of Crime.

Best,

Jane