Chapter One: A Murder is Announced

2»

Comments

• TuppenceTuppence City of London, United Kingdom

I believe the answers to my following questions are implicit in the Competition Pack and elsewhere.  However, I am hoping someone can make the answers explicit.

When the October winner is announced, will the winner’s proposed murder and motive be announced, or will we proceed in November—like the authors of the Floating Admiral—without knowing what the prior author intended?

If these matters are announced, are we bound by them?

If not, will we ever be bound by the murderer and motive of a winner, e.g., after month 3 which sets the limits on possible murderers or month 9 when all that is left for month 10 is the reveal?

Thanks.

As with The Floating Admiral - every submitted chapter must provide a proposed murderer and motive, but these will not be announced during the competition.
    Writers submitting for multiple chapters are welcome to change their motive/murderer for each chapter, if they prefer (and may need to, if their intended murderer became someone else's victim).
  • Tuppence said:As with The Floating Admiral - every submitted chapter must provide a proposed murderer and motive, but these will not be announced during the competition. 
    Writers submitting for multiple chapters are welcome to change their motive/murderer for each chapter, if they prefer (and may need to, if their intended murderer became someone else's victim).
    That's what I thought.  Thanks!
  • Pat_septemberPat_september Gauteng, South Africa
    two more days...
    :D ~O)
    edited November 2013
    Good morning everyone! The sun is shining, the air is crisp and the day after tomorrow we shall now the winner of the 1st chapter proposal...
    ;;) ~O) [-O<
  • LL88LL88 Sofiya, Bulgaria
    Good morning everyone! The sun is shining, the air is crisp and the day after tomorrow we shall now the winner of the 1st chapter proposal...
    ;;) ~O) [-O<
    It will be an important winner. He or she will introduce the characters and the victim (if they follow the main idea of the original story). From then on, we will have to use those main characters. I can't wait to read the new first chapter and go on with creating the second one.
  • when the first chapter will be published,i missed the deadline for  the first chapter,so i want to participate for the second chapter.
    when the first chapter will be published,i missed the deadline for  the first chapter,so i want to participate for the second chapter.
    The theme for the second chapter will be announced on Friday 8th.

;;)
    Are there any results? I found nowhere the first chapter that won.
  • JenCalJenCal Michigan, United States
    I'm so excited too read the winners chapter.
    nothing yet...
    ;;)
  • It's 9:31 in California. Surely, there is a result by now :-/
    nothing yet...
    ;;)
    edited November 2013
    It's 9:31 in California. Surely, there is a result by now :-/
    It is 17:35 in UK, I believe the winner will only be announced tomorrow - if i take the comment bellow into consideration:
    Tuppence said:
    when the first chapter will be published,i missed the deadline for  the first chapter,so i want to participate for the second chapter.
    The theme for the second chapter will be announced on Friday 8th.

• The next theme will be announced on Friday. However, Tuppence said,"
    Due to the large number of entries (very excited to read them all), we're pushing back the announcement of the winner to next Thursday, 7th November."
    It was a hard decision but the votes are finally in!

http://agathachristie.com/write-your-own-christie/
    edited November 2013

~O)
  • DarylDaryl Caerphilly, United Kingdom
    Well done to the winner! Such a fantastic opening chapter! I'm sure everyone else wrote a brilliant chapter too. Keep up the work every one!
  • I love the winning first chapter! Well done. It's so much better than my effort, and it will fun to continue from there!
  • I have a question. I started writing from the first chapter itself, so when I begin writing the second one, as and when the brief is revealed, do I continue my own first chapter, or do I have to continue the winning chapter and use those characters?

I have a question. I started writing from the first chapter itself, so when I begin writing the second one, as and when the brief is revealed, do I continue my own first chapter, or do I have to continue the winning chapter and use those characters?
    You continue the winning chapter, taking into account how they have developed the characters. But, of course, you can take it in your own direction.
    I like the first chapter - I think Helene has spent a considerable time for preparation and writing. At least every single sentence in the chapter speaks so to me. :) Great job! Keep it up, Helene.

Personally, for me, it would be hard to go on immediately. Maybe I will have to re-read the chapter several times, before I come up with an idea. And still - I will have the same difficulties I had for the first one - using anachronisms and trying to be as close to Agatha Christie's style as possible. :( I have my own style (like everyone who tries to write stories) and never compared it to others, nor I have tried to interpret it and made it better (I just do not like the idea of analysis).
  • edited March 2014

This is a most intriguing undertaking and one, I must admit, that has me itching to join in!