What's your opinion on TV Movie Murder by the Book ?

Is anyone ever seen Agatha trying to kill that poor Poirot in 1986 TV Movie Murder by the book? I'm curious to know what did you think about it ? 

Comments

• GKCfanGKCfan Wisconsin, United States
    It's an interesting curiosity.  I liked Ian Holm's Poirot, although it seems that screen depictions of Christie tend to depict her at the lowest parts of her life, when her triumphs and successes are just as interesting, if not more so.
  • edited June 2016
    GKCfan said:
    It's an interesting curiosity.  I liked Ian Holm's Poirot, although it seems that screen depictions of Christie tend to depict her at the lowest parts of her life, when her triumphs and successes are just as interesting, if not more so.
    It is a shame because I get tired of hearing about the "disappearance" of Agatha Christie and what could have happened within those days she wasn't anywhere to be seen. If many find that part about her interesting then they are totally missing out on who Agatha Christie really was and the low points of her life doesn't define who she is. Speaking of successes and triumphs, she was probably the only mystery writer who was able to have sold not only her novels successfully but her plays as well. This was quite a feat for a mystery writer! The Mousetrap is one of the longest running plays throughout history. This is how A.C. should be depicted......through the good times, not just through the bad. 
  • InspectorJappInspectorJapp Canada
    edited June 2016
    It's an interesting point of view! Personally, i didnt pay, at first sight, to much attention of the portrait it give of her but more like an imaginary and theoretical exercice around Curtain , by director Lawrence Gordon Clark. But @ChristieFanForLife you bring a very good argument ! Secondly, I have to admit, I'm a pro Suchet ! It always a little difficult for me to watch another Poirot.  Finally, I dont think it's the kind of movie someone who want to know (or think to know more about) Agatha Christie should begin with...in fact...i find it a bit freaky ! :p But it worth to see it at least once! An interesting curiosity like said @GKCfan
  • aggierocksaggierocks Ipswich uk
    Well....when I discovered it on you tube I was drawn in by the beginning sequences....I found the setting and camera work, as well as music, etc. compelling.... but then when the story line began to develop it was almost like someone was running their nails down a chalk board..... unpleasant!  So I'm afraid I bailed out halfway through.  Not my bag.  Though Ian Holm as Poirot was effective.
  • @aggierocks ! I see that you didnt like it much  :p I'm sure that you will agree with me: we dont want a sequel of this movie !  :) but a little UFO like that can be sometimes funny ! Have a nice day
  • Although I like David Suchet, I think that Iam Holm's portrayal of Poirot is closer to the mark as far as Christie's physical description of the character is concerned. I remember reading that he was supposed to be a small man with a largish egg-shaped head (and, of course, with the mustaches). Suchet is a big fellow, and he tried to get around that by means of precious gestures and mincing steps, which were not very convincing. Also, the rather cool, dry personality that Holm evinces seems more authentic for Poirot. I guess the more authentic version wouldn't be as lovable to audiences as the somewhat warmer version provided by Suchet.
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    I have seen it once and I liked it, I think Ian Holm would have made a good Poirot, I agree with joannegerber, I am not sure if the series would have lasted as long or whether Poirot would have been as popular if In Holm had played the part in the series.