Chapter Three: Enter the Detective

TuppenceTuppence City of London, United Kingdom
A murder has happened and with so many suspects at the scene, we need a detective.
Who will they be? An existing Christie detective or someone entirely new? Do they have any ticks or flaws? How will they guide the reader through the story without revealing all the clues too soon?

Comments

• LL88LL88 Sofiya, Bulgaria
    Thank you for the answer in advance to the question I had. :)
    So, personally, I would prefer a new detective, because I think Agatha Christie's are her own and I believe only one author can play with their own sacred detectives. I would be afraid to use such a character of hers, nevertheless how much I know them.
    Once again - great two first chapters! They raise the bar very high. :)
  • TuppenceTuppence City of London, United Kingdom
    edited November 2013
    It's going to be an exciting competition.
    So many possibilities for a new detective - which are your favourites?

So, as far as I understood, not only we introduce the detective now, but we also decide who was murdered?
    (On my first reading, I swiftly went through the chapter and had the impression that the Reverend was the victim, but then I read again more carefully and it appeared that someone was shot in the churchyard.)
    This gives us again many possibilities how to continue. I already have an idea how to introduce the detective :P but I have to decide who was murdered first. :D

• Pat_septemberPat_september Gauteng, South Africa
    edited December 2013
    I won't use Poirot or Marple either, actually none of Christie's established sleuths. I do believe Ariadne Oliver is colorful and extremely original in her un-orthodox  ways...
    @-)
    Anybody started working on the 3rd chapter yet? well, I do carry my pen and paper in my bag the whole time, it has become an extension of my arm almost , just haven't been able to find that quiet spot yet... I find it easier to start jotting down some ideas the old fashioned way, with pen and paper... then i move onto my computer...

how are you writing?
    ;)

well, good luck everyone!

~O)
    Anybody started working on the 3rd chapter yet? well, I do carry my pen and paper in my bag the whole time, it has become an extension of my arm almost , just haven't been able to find that quiet spot yet... I find it easier to start jotting down some ideas the old fashioned way, with pen and paper... then i move onto my computer...

how are you writing?
    ;)

well, good luck everyone!

~O)

I also write my big ideas down - either on paper, or on my phone. I also started writing for chapter three - I had one scene in mind that I ought to put on words. :)
    But I want to be on the safe side - so, currently we have no dead person's identity? We decide who is murdered, is that so?

But I want to be on the safe side - so, currently we have no dead person's identity? We decide who is murdered, is that so?
    Oh, yes, we get to choose who dies... Isn't this exiting?
    Eeny, meeny, miny, moe,
    who should die and who should not?
    Whose the killer i can choose,
    who dies next is still unsure...

:))
    edited December 2013
    Hello and Ho, Ho, Ho - or almost image

How is everybody doing on your Chapter Three? i must admit this time before Christmas is pretty hectic, so much to do, not enough time to sit and write... Well, we've put up our Christmas tree already image and we are listening to - almost - only Christmas carols like  image and image   Oh, yes, we are also   image

My plot for this chapter is done and I've decided to make my sleuth a sexy little number
    :>
    let's see if it will work out!
    Who will your brainiac be?

Good luck everyone!
    Merry Cristie and Merry Christmas everyone!
    I've just submitted my entry for Chapter Three yesterday. Must admit it was a bit of a challenge writing over the holidays!
    Well, in all honesty, all I want for Christmas is my entry for Chapter Three to be chosen :)

Best wishes to everyone part of the Christie community!
    Merry Cristie and Merry Christmas everyone! I've just submitted my entry for Chapter Three yesterday. Must admit it was a bit of a challenge writing over the holidays! Well, in all honesty, all I want for Christmas is my entry for Chapter Three to be chosen :) Best wishes to everyone part of the Christie community!

Good luck, Pat! And to everyone else. :P I am sure there would be many interesting entries for chapter three. I wish I would be able to read all of them and see what other people have on their mind. :)
    I am enjoying writing this exact chapter the most. I also thought it would not fit the upper boundary for word count, but it might appear it will fit perfectly into the desired interval.
    Merry Christie!
    edited December 2013
    I just saw that the deadline for chapter three was changed to the 23rd of December (or it is me that has wrongly remembered that it was the 30th of December and it was never that day at the beginning). So, this time I missed it for a different reason. :(
    Anyway, I enjoyed very much writing for it. And I am curios who the detective in the story will be. :)
    I just saw that the deadline for chapter three was changed to the 23rd of December (or it is me that has wrongly remembered that it was the 30th of December and it was never that day at the beginning). So, this time I missed it for a different reason. :(
    Anyway, I enjoyed very much writing for it. And I am curios who the detective in the story will be. :)
    Oh, no!! I am really sorry! ! This is such bad luck! You need to chech the guidelines for each month as the deadlines do tend to change especially if the results come in sooner than the original date we were expecting them.
    I do hope that everyone part of the Christie team is Ok, as well as the community members living in UK; I see the weather over there is quite bad.
    Happy holidays!
    Oh, no!! I am really sorry! ! This is such bad luck! You need to chech the guidelines for each month as the deadlines do tend to change especially if the results come in sooner than the original date we were expecting them. I do hope that everyone part of the Christie team is Ok, as well as the community members living in UK; I see the weather over there is quite bad. Happy holidays!

I think it is good luck - especially for you. Now your chapter could be the winning one. Otherwise, mine would have been. :P
    Just kidding. :D I know that the guidelines should be checked regularly. I even think I saw the change, but forgot about it and had in mind the previous state with the later date... Now detective J.W. would be very disappointed with my memory. :( :D

I think it is good luck - especially for you. Now your chapter could be the winning one. Otherwise, mine would have been. :P
    Just kidding. :D I know that the guidelines should be checked regularly. I even think I saw the change, but forgot about it and had in mind the previous state with the later date... Now detective J.W. would be very disappointed with my memory. :( :D

How kind of you to let me win ;;) just kidding! Maybe your detective J.W. needed a holiday to start with ;;) keep him now for chapter four when we have to introduce a stranger, I believe? ;) better luck next time!
    Two more days left from this year!
    I was just wondering, how were the entries for this month? ;;)
    Happy Holidays!
    <:-P

Happy New Year to all you writers!

We're busy finalising the winning entry for this month. More to come later today!

It was a tough decision with so many brilliant entries, but our judges have finally settled on one winner. Congratulations to Margaret Lane, chosen for her thoughtful and intriguing approach.

Thank you to everyone who entered this month, particularly those who enter every month with new and exciting ideas.

The theme for Chapter Four will be announced tomorrow, so you can get into the creative spirit over the coming weekend.
    Well done, Margaret! I wonder how does it feel to be the author of the winning chapter... =D>
    Just reading the chosen third chapter.
  • Congratulations Margaret. A wonderful start to the New Year.
  • Congratulations Margaret. A wonderful start to the New Year.

Well done, Margaret! Quite an unusual course of events. I wonder what was your general idea - about who the murderer is and why they did it.
    I also can get my general idea and put it in the continuation. :P It suits fine in the current story we have. But I am sure that from now on, it would be even more difficult to write, because we already have too much that needs to be followed...