My Personal Favourite

To date, this is my absolute favourite of Christie's novels.  I love the setting, the characters, and the thought that went into it.  What do you think?

Comments

• AgathasmykidAgathasmykid British Columbia, Canada
    edited September 2013
    Definitely a top 10 Christie book for me, although I have to admit I actually like the movie ending better.
  • tudestudes Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    The movie ending is based on the play written by her The Ten Little Indians. I think all the adaptations of this book were, in fact, based on the play, not on the book.
  • I love Then There Were none. I can't ever read the end without getting shivers down my spine. If anyone knows people out there think Agatha Christie only wrote cosy country house murders, then please get them to read this book! It will change their perceptions of her works. 
  • AmelieGrenierAmelieGrenier Ile-de-France, France
    It was the first AG I read when I was 14; I remember reading it at night and being terrified...
  • tudestudes Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Certainly, it's one of my favorites and I think one of the best crime novels ever written. The book is perfect: the plot, the scenario, the characters, the ending.  When I started reading it, I wasn't able to stop it. It's astonishing, marvelous and so on.
  • miss_mysterymiss_mystery Essex, United Kingdom
    love this book, but it one of the books i don't read late at night as it sends shivers down my spine
  • LaisaacLaisaac Ostergotlands Lan, Sweden
    I was so obsessed with it that I brought it with me when mum forced me out in the woods and sat there in the middle of the forest and not being able to stop reading. It's one of my favorite detective stories all time!
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    Not in my Top 10 but one of the better Non-Series Books
  • TrippyTrellisTrippyTrellis Florida, United States
    I consider it her best book and one of my top five favorites but it doesn't touch me the way that my favorite, "A Murder Is Announced", does.
    I meant to add not one of my last favourite Non-Series Books
  • ianthepoetianthepoet Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
    And Then There Were None, is one of my favourites. Brilliantly put together.
  • LigiaCruzLigiaCruz Sao Paulo, Brazil

Everytime I speak to someone about Agatha Christie's books, the first title that comes to their minds is Roger Ackroyd's Murder. Although it's a spectacular novel, I think 'And Then There Were None', beats it in terms of mystery, psychological aspects, not only concerning to the characters, but also to the environment the story involves. I simply love this kind of plot and I'd like to know if anyone knows a similar story to read. It can be one from Agatha's or from another good author. Can somebody help me?

Thank you.

• Hard to choose one, so mine are:
    1) The ABC Murders
    2) The Clocks
    3) Nemesis 
  • glalonzo0408glalonzo0408 Pennsylvania, United States
    Murder on the Orient Express is by far my fav. AC book.  AC's attention to detail and intricate murder, in my opinion, is unmatched.
  • ChristeryChristery Rhode Island, United States
    And Then There Were None is rightfully considered in the top 2 or 3 of Christie's novel. The setting, structure, characters, and motive are all very memorable and unique. At the time of publication I think that it really stood out and took people by surprise. It is still to this day very much admired and copied and many high schools include it in their reading curriculum. What I remember most about reading it was how perfectly each chapter ended by ratcheting up the paranoia and suspense. I could not stop reading and was like " Oh my god, what is going to happen next and how can they stop this!" The sense of powerlessness and being trapped with terror closing in was almost unbearable! One can tell that Christie really put a lot of planning and forethought into the framework of the novel. And when finished reading, one has a real sense of satisfaction. A true literary masterpiece.
  • This is the movie they should be redoing - not Orient Express! The 2 previous movies made were so long ago.  Imagine what a great thriller this would be today!  My question is how does anyone in Christie's novels sleep?  If I were on an island where the people around me were dropping like flies, I wouldn't be going to sleep!
  • cwa11acecwa11ace Maine, United States
    Hard to choose one, so mine are:
    1) The ABC Murders
    2) The Clocks
    3) Nemesis 
    I really liked Nemesis as well - just finished it as a matter of fact. Nemesis and A Caribbean Mystery are both my favorite Marple Stories by far
  • MACMAC Victoria, Australia

Definitely the best Christie I have read yet (and I haven't read them all).  Great characters, plot, suspense.  Even better the second time around, because the clues are so obvious!  As old Wargrave said, everything pointed in one direction.  And yet, the story is so cleverly constructed, throwing suspicion on one character after another ... then eliminating each character from suspicion, one by one, with the suspense building all the time ... that most readers can't see any possible solution in the end.  And yet there is a solution, and it all fits together very, very well.

It is impossible to choose just one, as some are Village Murders like A Murder Is Announced, some are Country House Murders like The Secret of Chimneys, Adventures like The Man In The Brown Suit, some set in Britain like Evil Under The Sun and some set abroad like Caribbean Mystery
    I like And Then There Were None but I personally wouldn't put it in my top 10
  • glalonzo0408glalonzo0408 Pennsylvania, United States
    Murder on the Orient Express, in my opinion, is by far the best AC book/movie..... :o3
  • SerourBSerourB Essex, United Kingdom
    Is it bad that I hate agatha for writing his book? It bloody makes me want to cry , how did she think of it, why wld she do that to me? I hate her? I cldnt even guess it , I cnt stop reading it and I cnt stop making all my friends read it -now they hate me because of it- either way Wtf why wld she do that? It's jst too good makes me wanna drop a levels and jst read the bloody book till I die
    Sorry abt the comment bt I jst love this book , I hate how much I love it and how many times I have read it
  • Sad_CypressSad_Cypress Kauno Apskritis, Lithuania
    edited January 2014
    I just finished reading "And Then There Were None". Well actually at 2:20 in the early morning.
    It is a brilliant thriller I have to say. I was too scared to go to the kitchen for a glass of water after reding this book. :D Even too scared to go to sleep. The moon was shining brightly and I couldn't help myself but to think that I will see a killer's face behind my window...
    One thing did disappoint me though. I was expecting for a slightly different ending. Even for a different murderer...
    But all in all I loved the book :)
    My terrified thoughts were: 1. NOOOO!! WHY....WHY THE HELL ARE YOU LEAVING HIM/HER ALONE??? 2. JESUS, DON'T GO IN THERE ALONE! YOU'RE GOING TO BE KILLED! 3. JUST SLEEP ALL TOGETHER IN ONE ROOM!! 4. God.... I would sit in a corner and cry my eyes out.... 5. Might as well jump off the cliff now...
    This book is definately going to my top 10 list. I just don't know yet in which place...

I liked it, I liked the Characters and the Plot and the setting, I thought it was a Clever idea and simple, My Brother says It is logical Agatha Christie would write Labours of Hercules and It is 1uite natural she would write something like this, It must be good to make Television people want to do a Version NINE Times, and the Idea has been used in an Episode of Remington Steele, Having Praised it so Highly I still wouldn't put it in my Top 10.

SerourB Go away and learn to act properly on an Internet Forum 

• I loved it, it's my favorite book. I liked the plot, the characters and the end was ... WOW ! I didn't suspect [SPOILERS !!!!!!!!!!!] ....... Wargrave before his "death" . 
    SPOILERS!!!!

Wargrave was my favorite character! He was the only one who could calm my nerves down. I trusted him! Eh...
  • I'm really looking forward to the plot spoiler option coming, Then we can discuss who we thought was behind the whole thing! I certinaly did not guess who...
  • SerourBSerourB Essex, United Kingdom
    SPOILERS!!!!

Wargrave was my favorite character! He was the only one who could calm my nerves down. I trusted him! Eh...

OMG, I loved reading this comment , I actually read it out in an accent and pronounced the "eh" .

SPOILERSSSSS!

but I agree, I trusted him too , he got under my skin bt he seemed toooo calm to be the killer, I wanted to cry when I found out

My Favourite Characters were the first man to die and the last man to die, sorry can't remember their names
    Spoilers!!!

Tommy - the first one to die was Anthony Marston and the last one - either Philip Lombard or Wargrave - your choice of perspective :)

SerourB - I really did sigh at the end when I wrote the comment :D So.. Hi-five!

But for me his calmness didn't looks suspicious. I thought that he will be either the one who dies the last or the one who survives. Little did I know... I really did think that some of those people will be left alive. But when they started to fall like dead flies!...