Another "Orient Express" remake?

Comments

• cwa11acecwa11ace Maine, United States
    It doesn't look like anything has been announced, but that doesn't mean they aren't working on it...?

• glalonzo0408glalonzo0408 Pennsylvania, United States
    Why would they have to rewrite it???? Don't fix it if it ain't broke....IMHO :x
  • edited December 2013
    It seems to be getting quite widely reported now. But it's not been confirmed so far. I would be happy enough if they strayed true to the original story. I wonder who will play Poirot?

• AgathasmykidAgathasmykid British Columbia, Canada

I am surprised we haven't had a modern day remake of "And then there were None" as it has been filmed several times.

• tudestudes Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    MissQuin said:
    It seems to be getting quite widely reported now. But it's not been confirmed so far. I would be happy enough if they strayed true to the original story. I wonder who will play Poirot?

Me too. I hope David Suchet wil play Poirot. He's the best by far.

I am surprised we haven't had a modern day remake of "And then there were None" as it has been filmed several times.

I would like to watch a remake of "And then there were none", but not so modern. I would like to watch a faithful one.
  • GKCfanGKCfan Wisconsin, United States
    Nearly a decade ago, there were rumors that there would be an Americanized remake of Witness for the Prosecution set in the present day.  Al Pacino and Michele Pfeiffer were supposed to star, and David E. Kelley was supposed to write the script.  It received about the same level of press coverage that the MOTOE remake is getting now.  Months passed, then years, and nothing came of it.  The project is apparently dead.  Just because they announce a project, that doesn't mean it'll get made.  The movie adaptation of Crooked House has been in development for about two years now.  The development process can take years, and often many potential projects die along the way.
  • edited December 2013
    A adaption of Crooked House is very difficult to make. I love the book, but I fail to picture how could be nice, mainly because of its ending.
    I would like to watch another version of Orient Express and And then they were nome too. I love the old one, but I would be good to watch a modern adapt.
  • Years ago there was an amusing spoof report that Jean Claude Van Damme was going to play Poirot!! I hope no-one actually fell for that.

I was looking forward to Crooked House. But I think that Julian Fellowes was linked to the project and now has other commitments with Downton Abbey, the Downton Abbey prequel and other things. Matthew Goode, who was to play the lead in Crooked House has been filming Death At Pemberley, which made me think that either the casting has changed or the filming had been dropped.

There was even an announcement that Disney were making a modern day Miss Marple. I cannot even to begin to express my absolute horror at this!  I hope (and pray) that this idea has been abandoned. 

I think that a Then There Were None film would be excellent - if remained loyal to the book. The B&W version is very good and full of dark humour. But they altered the ending for a few reasons. 
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    As a Fan of the modern Sparkling Cyanide but not of the modern MOTOE I hope someone does do a modern day version of ATTWN, If not set on an Island perhaps a Privately owned Village or a City like Edinburgh which has underground Tunnels also there isn't anywhere else they could go with a Remake is there apart from updating it but I don't think it maters if they have the same sort of setting as a past version  
  • For a modern day version of Then There Were None, the characters would need to be cut off from all forms of communication. None of them could have mobile phones, tablets, laptops. How would U.N Owen make them completely isolated? Anthony Marston is the type of person who'd be taking selfies every few minutes to share with all his friends.

I really don't see how it could work. I would much prefer a re-make set in the era of the book. With the original ending.  

It could be on an Oil Rig, It could be in a place where Mobile Phones don't work, It could be in a Retreat where Mobile Phones and Lap tops are not allowed run by The Rogers's for Owen, It could be made so at the end we see They were making And Then There Were None, It could be the 10 were lured there because they were told they won a Prize and they could claim it on the Condition they brought no Lap Top or Mobile Phone, I am sure there are all sorts of ways it could be updated 
  • HerculeJCHerculeJC California, United States
    The only modern version of And Then There Were None was a 1970s film, "Ten Little Indians", and that film had the characters in the middle of a dessert. 
  • edited December 2013

THERE THERE WERE NONE SPOILERS- Anyone who has read Then There Were None thoroughly, would know that a crucial part of the plot involves the Judge. it appears he sentenced a man to be hanged, on little evidence. Now hanging has been abolished since the 60's, so how would this piece of plot work in modern day Edinbugh? Also I wasn't aware of any oil rigs in Edinburgh, used or unused!

It would however work in other countries which still have the death penalty. It would have to be a mix of big Brother and Then There Were None, as part of a reality gameshow to make sure no-one would bring communication devices.  But some of the characters aren't the gameshow type, so they'd be lured there under false pretenses. 

Not as many people had mobile phones in 1970's. I think the signal was probably more weak too. I've not seen that version HerculeJC is it any good?

The problem with modern updates is the dialogue that AC wrote so beautifully, has to be modernized, therefor altered. It might work if the right person wrote it. The question is do AC fans mind swearing and profanity being used? After all, their lives are peril and most people would think they'd curse a bit in 2013. I'm not condoning it or condemning it, just pointing it out. 

:D
  • HerculeJCHerculeJC California, United States
    I only saw "Ten Little Indians", which was set in Iran, once - the guests were helicoptered in, and the dessert was quite expansive.  To me it was a poor update.
  • tudestudes Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    MissQuin, your picture of a modern And Then there were none is a nightmare! I can't image a mix of Big Brother and And Then There were none!  It's dreadful!
    And then there were none has to be very similar to the book, otherwise it will be a crime!
  • edited December 2013
    Yes Tudes it IS a nightmare! I hate all reality TV shows and I think alot of people who love literature do. Then There Were None is supposed to inflict suffering and I can't think of ANYTHING worse than some ghastly gameshow punishment. 

If it couldn't be set in the past, then I'd rather it was set in the future with an absurd plot. At least then it would be far removed from being  associated with Agatha Christie's brilliant book.  I feel that by placing the story in modern day, like TommyAJones suggested, would require so many alterations, that only the bare bones of the plot would remain. The dialogue, country,  motives, location would all have to be altered. 

So then what would be the point? 

That's why I really want any TTWN film to set in the past.  The dialogue, the characters, the setting, to me is perfection. I absolutely love the book and to me, tinkering with it is sacrilege. If it was set in modern day then they should call in something different.

I would hope Orient Express would be set in the past too. In fact do any modern day remakes of Christie adapts actually work? 
    I certainly felt that Sparkling Cynadie is one of the worst adaptions ever.  I wish they'd removed  the words "based on a novel by Agatha Christie"  because it's hardly be worth adding her name too!

:-/
  • cwa11acecwa11ace Maine, United States
    I would much prefer a re-make set in the era of the book. With the original ending.  
    Agreed!
    When I said about The Oil Rig and Edinburgh they were 2 different possibilities Miss Quin, Perhaps the Judge could sentence a man who was murdered in Prison, he may have even paid to have him Murdered in Prison by Inmates, The 70s version was on The Other night, I recorded I but haven't seen it yet I have seen it before though. Idon't really mind when the remake is set just as long as we get one, some things should be remade often like ATTWN, DOTN, EUTS and non Christies like 39 Steps, The Lady Vanishes and other Christies like Why Didn't They Ask Evans and The Bundle Books and A Murder Is Announced  
  • I wouldn't change a single thing about then There Were none. It is, quite simply perfection.

Any news on this Orient express re-make? 
    Who would be in a Re-make? Any Ideas?