Where to start Miss Marple?

I've read lots of Poirot's stories, but nothing with Miss Marple. Which novel should I choose to be my first and why? Thank you

Comments

• edited January 2014
    I think Murder at the Vicarage would be a nice book to begin. It's the first book (Marple) and it's a very good book.
  • tudestudes Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    I agree. The Murder at the Vicarage is a good book to start. Also you can read The Body in the Library. It's a great book and it's the Book of The Month too. You will like both of them.
  • The above suggestions are all excellent. But I will also recommend The Thirteen Problems, which is a selection of short stories. It introduces the reader to Miss Marple and the stories are excellent.

• Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    I personally would read the Novels in order of Publication starting with Murder At The Vicarage and finishing with Sleeping Murder, I know it was written years before but imagine (SLIGHT SPOILER) Imagine Cherry is tucking Miss Marple up in bed and Miss Marple says to her "Did I ever tell yo about the time I helped a nice young Couple when they came to buy a House in Danemouth?" The Thirteen Problems is so wonderful you could read it before or after the others or just read the stories individually like when you are waiting for The Plumber or have a spare moment.
  • I feel 'A Murder is Announced' is a good place to start. It is Miss Marple at her best; combining her intellect, common sense, sensitivity, observation skills and her genteel indulgence and use of ' gossip', as a means to study the characters.Her deductions are brilliant, and in this novel she kind of brings together many little stories to form a clear main plot.