My Personal Favourite

2»

Comments

• Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    Thank you Sad Cypress 1 problem I have with the book and I know its me not the book, some of the Characters I found indisquishable from some others like Marston and Lombard and McCarthy and Blore, I don't have a problem with the women, or Armstrong, Rodgers or Wargrave 
  • youngmrquinyoungmrquin Buenos Aires, Argentina
    edited February 2014
    I think many, if not all of you, are going to hate me here. I didn't like the book so much like you.
    I mean, I accept it is very good, one of her most recognized and the base for many actual thrillers, but it just doesn't amaze me.

*SPOILERS*

The fact that the "fate" choosen by the villain was inevitably accomplished for all of them doesn't add stars to it in my book. Quite the contrary, while the story flows we see how each one of them dies. But this seemed to me like an evil plan that was going to be stopped somehow. I said to myself "whoever is the killer, one of the "good guys" is going to stop him/her. However, this doesn't occur and the killer can accomplish his project, not only providing the reader his motives, and therefore questionable morality, but also arriving a a whole narrative to a point that was somehow expected and announced. What would have happened if one of the other guests had discovered the truth and given battle? Wasn't a punishment enough all the hunt we see in the island? For me, it's a great book with an ending that instead of adding brilliance to it, just makes it more predictable and less challenging.
  • Sad_CypressSad_Cypress Kauno Apskritis, Lithuania
    Nobody is going to hate you :) I mean I too started to think if I liked the book as much as the others. Like you said, youngmrquin, it is very good but not as wonderful as others made it look like. At first I loved it. But then a lot of unsatisfying points started to come out. I think it's more of a thriller than a detective and I'm still not very happy that all of them were killed. The ending (when the killer's motives are told) was a little weak for me...
    I too wanted to see some battle from "the good side". I was absolutely sure that one of them will remain alive. That would have been brilliant.
    But all in all, I think this book still goes to my top ten. :)
    I was talking to my Brother today about a book and he said by Changing a couple of bits a Western could be Changed To Science Fiction and That got me thinking could there be a version of ATTWN set in either The Wild West or Outer Space or maybe on an aeroplane or On a Boat.
  • edited February 2014
     and That got me thinking could there be a version of ATTWN set in either The Wild West or Outer Space or maybe on an aeroplane or On a Boat.
    Then There Were None on an plane? There are at least 20 reasons why that would be implausible. But if it goes ahead, the murderer should add some snakes! They can call the film Snakes On A Plane... hold on, that's already been done!!!!

:))
    You say there are 20 reasons why it wouldn't work but you haven't said what they are. 
  • I didn't list the reasons as I didn't actually think you were being serious!!  Some are fairly obvious why Then There Were none shouldn't be on a plane:

1. Not enough room for the murderer to hide
    2. Not enough room for the killer to creep up on people
    3. Not enough space, giving an overwhelming claustrophobic atmosphere for the viewer. The book is intense enough as it is.
    4. The murder would have to hire a jet, a small plane is too small.
    5. The killer would need to have pilots, who if it's to work, would need to be killed. Thus, the plane will then crash when their dead! It would be hard to investigate murders from a plane crash wreckage defeating the entire object of UN Owen's plans.
    6. Invite 11 people to the same destination yes, but the mode of transport if different. How to you lure 11 people to get on the same plane?  
    7. . How did the killer afford his own private jet?
    8. How would the bear clock  falling murder work?
    9. How could the Indian statues be displayed prominently in a plane?
    10. The idea of a bee on the plane is too much like Death In The Clouds (wasp)
    11. How do you hang yourself on an plane? Actually, please don't tell us, too unpleasant!
    12. The idea of murders on an plane has been done effectively in Death In The Clouds. It would feel repetitive to have another transport related crime.
    13. "Four Little Solider boys going out to sea, A red herring swallowed one and then there were three" That's why it feels so right to set Then there Were None on an island. 
    14. The action takes place over many days, how could this take place in such short space of time?
    15. The death of the General - it's quite mysterious, he's gone. How would that happen on a plane? An ejector seat? : D
    16. There wouldn't be that feeling of someone hiding on a plane, it would take away all that feeling of mystery. It's not hard to find someone on a plane.
    17. How would the murder of Isaac Morris  make the death of look like it's not part of the murders?
    18. Travel light on a plane, with axes, heavy clocks, statues etc etc 
    19. Alot of people being killed on a plane is reminiscent of 9/11 and very distressing.
    20. For me Then There Were None is perfect, why change a single thing?

Enough said!

You have 3 Brilliant Points Miss Quin, No7, No 12 and No 19, I was suggesting it should be on a Private Jet, just like the Island was a Private Island, If someone has the Money  afford an Aeroplane it isn't beyond the Realms of Possiblity that he can make it big enough to kill 9 (Not 11) people so that takes care of the first 4 of your objections, I admit that Changes would have to be made, On some Really Posh Aeroplanes there are Bars, above the Bar could be Pictures of 10 Figures and when someone dies one Picture could be broken, Rodgers and his wife could be Pilots in the same way In the Book they are Hired as Caterers so that gets rid of No5, You lure 9 People on the same Plane in the same way they were lured onto the Island so that gets rid of No6, No 9 I have dealt with, someone could be lured to to the Baggage area and thrown out which deals with No 13, a lot of the books have devices that are done more than once so that takes care of No 10, I must admit I can't remember who Isaac Morris is, I think it would be quite easy toget the General There and you say And Then There Were None is Perfect well yes it is but people have suggested suggested Books having Different sleuths so why not different locations, that is why there has been 9 versions, By the way I did say some bits would have to change.    
  • Then There Were None- SPOILERS!!!  But... if Rogers couple are pilots, they'd have to be the last to die. Somehow I felt it was right that Vera was the last to die. She was the strongest woman, perhaps the strongest person along with Phillip Lombard.

I'm not dismissing your idea. But It would have to be re-written rather than tweaked a little

I watched the film a few weeks ago of Ten Little Indians. It was slow to get moving, it was set in the desert. The good points are that there was some good acting. The bad points were the music and methods of murder were altered. When the methods are altered the Ten Little Indians rhyme has to be altered. That really taken away the true essence of the story. 

But there is something about TTWN being set by the sea. The sea comes up a couple of times in AC's works. Mr Quin's The Man From Sea, Towards Zero etc. There's a feeling that humans can still be at the mercy of natural elements as well as psychopaths like U N Owen.  

The Rodgers wouldn't have to be the last to die, if others had the ability to fly the Plane and the Plane could be put on Auto-Pilot, having the last two Flying the Plane would mean a dramatic Finish, I know My Idea is a bit different and I would have to read the Rhyme again to see how it would work but I think it could be done and if it had to be re-written it could be better than a lot of the ITV MARPLE'S, I think a Boat Version would have fewer Problems but the problem of space would still arise 
  • edited February 2014
    I give you marks for trying. But I can't get over the fact the plot is starting to sound like a spoof disaster film like Airplane!

Then There Were None- on a boat- pretty much the same principal of 18  reasons why  it wouldn't work.  It would be like  Death On The Nile in too many aspects. I feel like it's a game of placing murders on transport now- trains, planes, boats OR maybe a mobile library! People go in there one by one and never leave....

:D
    I see your point but it is time for another version of the Film.
  • My all time favourite Agatha Cristie book is And Then There Were None....have read this book more than 5-6 times...and can still go on reading this book..feeling the same exitement when i read it first.
    I meant another Adaptation of the book
  • EstebanLopezEstebanLopez New York, United States
    This is one of my favorite novels Dame Agatha wrote. Did you know that she wrote a play based on the novel, but she changed the ending for the play. The movies made of the story use the play's ending. The 1945 version is my favorite. This novel is at the same level as Murder on the Orient Express and Death on the Nile! I hope the new adaptation does it justice! The ending is amazing! I was in high school when I first read this and now that I am 60, it was fun getting a chance to read it again. For those of you who are reading this for the first time, i envy you!