A Murder is Announced

With remarkable calmness "Little Paddocks" becomes the focus for this murder. How does Christie make us believe that the villagers follow their instincts and go to the scene of the crime? Why would they when they believe it to be nonsense?

Full of clues which manifest themselves as "red herrings" Christie unearths a multitude of suggestions for the culprit. How well does the author allow us to believe that Craddock's sesitive ego results in him listening to Miss Marple?

As Christie's characters unfold we are also given insights into which newspapers she read. If Christie were alive today, which paper do you think she would read and why?

- See more at: http://agathachristie.com/forum/book-club/miss-marple-stories/murder-announced/#sthash.imS4231A.dpuf

Full of clues which manifest themselves as "red herrings", Christie unearths a multitude of suggestions for the culprit. How well does the author allow us to believe that Craddock's sensitive ego results in him listening to Miss Marple?

As Christie's characters unfold we are also given insights into which newspapers she read. If Christie were alive today, which paper do you think she would read and why?

With remarkable calmness "Little Paddocks" becomes the focus for this murder. How does Christie make us believe that the villagers follow their instincts and go to the scene of the crime? Why would they when they believe it to be nonsense?

Full of clues which manifest themselves as "red herrings" Christie unearths a multitude of suggestions for the culprit. How well does the author allow us to believe that Craddock's sesitive ego results in him listening to Miss Marple?

As Christie's characters unfold we are also given insights into which newspapers she read. If Christie were alive today, which paper do you think she would read and why?

- See more at: http://agathachristie.com/forum/book-club/miss-marple-stories/murder-announced/#sthash.imS4231A.dpuf

Tagged:

Comments

• Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    She would read The Telegraph I think because I think she is Conservative, and she would read her local Paper, If I am wrong about The Telegraph it would be The Express and Daily Express because I read The Sunday Express and I would like to think I had the same mind, If she were totally like me it would be The Independent on Saturday. 
  • Christopher_WrenChristopher_Wren Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
    I love this book, it's probably my favourite Miss Marple novel, especially because of the relationship between the murderer and the second victim. It's were the real strengths of the novel lies. The first murder is in my opinion almost unnecessary.
    I like it because of the Characters, the plot, the relationship between Miss Hinchcliffe and Miss Margatroyd, I like it because of Craddock, I like the other Characters, for a funny five minutes I imagined the Characters as woodland and domesticated animals, Colonel Easterbrook wa a Fox dressed in Hunting gearand Miss Murgatroyd was a timot country mouse. 
  • Reading Murder Is Announced was so enjoyable. But it made me feel I couldn't have lived in Little Paddocks. There seems to be a dark undercurrent throughout of lies and hypocrisy.  I loved the way Bunch was so open and honest about there being a murder. Whereas everyone else went around pretending they  just happened to be there.

I agree with ChrisopherWren on the relationship between victim and murderer is very emotive. But I think the first murder really throws the reader off the track. 

I would have loved to have lived in Little Paddocks, Life exists on lies and Hypocricy, It is a very Cozy book I think I think of the Villagers as Woodland or Domesticated animals.
  • have you read 4: 50 from paddington?
    Yes, It is one of my Favourites, It is a 3 way tie between A Murder Is announced, Sleeping Murder and 4.50 From Paddington but probably Sleeping comes 2nd and Paddington 3rd
  • StathisZavitsanosStathisZavitsanos Attiki, Greece
    A great miss Marple story.
  • I love this one, it is number three on my Miss Marple list.

Spoiler

This is also one in which I guessed the murderer when I read it. I worked out the solution due to the clue of the names said by Dora Bunner!

Someone on another thread said that a Recipe of Deliscious Death was put on this site, If it was since it had a makeover can someone tell me where I can find it please, I would love to see the recipe, The person also said that they assumed The Cake for Bunny's Birthday was a Saschatorte, I think I have been eating one this week and it is just how I imagine the cake Mitzi made is
  • mike1410mike1410 Franklin, New Zealand
    The recipe was put on this site in 2010 for the Christie 120th anniversary. I presume it disappeared when the site was revamped. I hope this link works. If not, I have the recipe and can email it to anyone who wants it - or post it on here.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/devon/hi/people_and_places/history/newsid_8988000/8988240.stm

enjoy, and don't forget to ice the top with Good Wishes!
    The Link Works, I have saved it, Thank you