Guess The Connection

Comments

• Did they all serve in the Military forces? I know Ronald did but not sure about the others.
  • Christopher_WrenChristopher_Wren Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
    edited May 2014
    You've almost gotten it. Yes, all three served in the military forces, and that's part of the answer. But all three also did something else.
  • Did they desert, or go AWOL from, their military unit?
    Yes! Congratulations, Anne. :)
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    Were They all in the Army?
    This site needs a deleting facility .
  • edited May 2014

Sorry to take so long to start a new game but I was babysitting at my daughter's house without access to my books.

Here it is,

Anne Meredith, Mr Ferguson, Phillip Blake

They all lied about their feelings for someone?
  • They all lied about their feelings for someone? - No, that is not what I am thinking of. I don't think Anne lied about her feelings.
    Do they all live in Cottages?
  • Do they all live in Cottages? - They might but that is not the link I am looking for.
    Do they all have Love Rivals?
    The person, they were in love with, chose someone else?
  • glalonzo0408glalonzo0408 Pennsylvania, United States
    They are all jilted lovers
  • Do they all have Love Rivals? - That is part of it.

The person, they were in love with, chose someone else? - Yes, you have it. Your turn!

They are all jilted lover - So close but Christopher said it first.

Mrs Maude Dane Calthorp - Katherine Grey - Ariadne Oliver
  • FrankFrank Queensland, Australia
    edited May 2014
    Ariadne Oliver has met Mrs Maude Dane Calthorp in "The Pale Horse". Mrs Maude Dane Calthorp is a friend of Miss Marple in St Mary Mead in "The Moving Finger".  Katherine Grey from "The Mystery of the Blue Train" had lived in St. Mary Mead.
    edited May 2014
    @Frank Almost! You are very, very close and maybe I should already let it count. But what does this mean? Your description is absolutely correct, and it's exactly the connection I was thinking about, but it means something. ;)
    Christopher_Wren I have used up all my little grey cells on this one but I am sure one of the other players will crack the meaning. I look forward to the outcome. :)
  • edited May 2014

St Mary Mead is the centre of the criminal universe!

Seriously though, I am stumped, too! My grey cells are out of action.

I'll wait a few more hours, and if no one doesn't solve it, you can do the next riddle @Frank , because you are really extremely close.

Hint: Think about whom each of these characters met.
  • Is it that Katherine knows Poirot who also knows Mrs. Oliver, who knows Maude, who knows Miss Marple, who must know Katherine as they live in the same village? So there is a circle of friends? Or is that too convoluted?
    But Katherine doesn't know Mrs Oliver or Maude, Is it Rhoda Despard they all know? 
  • I am pretty sure that Rhoda only knows Maude and Mrs. Oliver. I am stuck.
    Is It Mr Robinson?
    edited May 2014
    Mrs Blair said:
    Is it that Katherine knows Poirot who also knows Mrs. Oliver, who knows Maude, who knows Miss Marple, who must know Katherine as they live in the same village? So there is a circle of friends? Or is that too convoluted?
    I'm letting that count.

The characters are a link between the Hercule Poirot and the Miss Marple novels.

Katherine knows both Poirot and presumably Miss Marple (or at least lived in the same village as Miss Marple). And Mrs Oliver and Mrs Calthorp knew each other and one of them knew Poirot and the other one Miss Marple. So they are all proof, that Poirot and Miss Marple exist in the same fictional universe.

It's your turn. :)
  • Thanks but I can't take this one, Frank did the hard work here so I am passing it to him.
    Mrs Blair but as you brought all the pieces of the puzzle together to come up with the answer I must allow you to take the turn.   
    OK, I will give it a go.

Can you guess the connection:

Poirot, Mr Robinson and Miss Marple
  • StathisZavitsanosStathisZavitsanos Attiki, Greece
    Mr Robinson appears in one Miss Marple novel and in one of Poirot novels (I cannot recall which)