the murder of roger ackroyd

gerryOgerryO Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
I read this book 50 years ago, and wanted to re-read it.  All versions I have tried seem to be seriously abridged - only the TV version includes the missing plot device of the second narrative, the journal.  Anyone know why it was abridged, and where I could get the full version?

Comments

• FrankFrank Queensland, Australia
    edited May 2014
    If you are looking for the original version of "The Murder of Roger Ackroyd" you may be interested in purchasing the facsimile edition of the 1926 first edition. It is a hard cover book with a facsimile of the original dust jacket. It was published 2006 by Harper Collins Publishers ISBN 0-00-723437-6 and is still available.I am guessing the version you read 50 years ago was the 1957 Paperback published by Fontana Books.
  • gerryOgerryO Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
    Thank you Frank for your suggestion, but I already have that edition, and it is unfortunately the abridged version.  Only the cover is a facsimile.  I also have the Fontana version which, as you say, is abridged.  Only the TV adaptation uses the missing material.  I am amazed that the book was ever abridged, as the deleted passages are what make the reveal so stunning.  The abridged edition is milk-and-water in comparison.  I shall continue investigating this mystery, which is as good as an Agatha story in itself.
  • FrankFrank Queensland, Australia
    gerryO, good luck in solving the mystery of the unabridged edition. If you solve the mystery please post the details of the book as I for one would like to get my hands on a copy.
  • GKCfanGKCfan Wisconsin, United States
    I'm not sure when a lot of this abridging happened, but a number of books were cut down during WWII to save on paper.  Also, over the years a little has been cut here and there for various reasons (something might be considered offensive or confusing today).
  • I never knew this novel had been abridged! I should like to know whether the copy I have, paperback, Berkley Books, NY (2004) is complete or not... what particular passages should I be looking for?
  • Christopher_WrenChristopher_Wren Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
    edited May 2014
    @gerryO Is it possible, that you are mixing up "Roger Ackroyd" and "The man in the brown suit"? Because in "The Man with the brown suit" there is a diary journal. "Roger Ackroyd" is simply told from the Doctor's point of view like some other books are told from Hastings' point of view.