where is located "Chimneys"?

EllerySmithEllerySmith Emilia-Romagna, Italy
edited March 2015 in Ask an expert
Hello everyone.
I have a curiosity.
"Chimneys Manor" is a real place? Or is it an invention by Dame Agatha for setting her two works (The Secret of Chimneys - The Seven Dials Mystery)?

many thanks to all for your time and attention

Comments

• FrankFrank Queensland, Australia
    The house does not exist but the characters in the story refer to events that occurred about 7 years earlier, that is, at the end of the Great War when the Austro-Hungarian and Ottoman Empires were broken up. The war is never mentioned directly. Instead, in Chapter 19, Superintendent Battle says: "Just over seven years ago, there was a lot what they called reconstruction going on especially in the Near East." At the same time, many royal persons were in England, including the Queen of Herzoslovakia, and Count Stylptitch; all the Balkan states were interested parties in discussions taking place. It is at this time that the Koh-i-noor diamond disappeared in the plot. Later, in an unspecified year, the Herzoslovakians rose up against the king and his commoner wife. About that time, Mrs Virginia Revel and her husband Tim were part of the diplomatic mission from the UK to Herzoslovakia, so that Mrs Revel had met Prince Michael; she was the only such person at the house party, to know Prince Michael, but not the only person in the house. The time immediately after the war was when the theft, solved in this novel, happened.
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    The equal Seven Dials Mystery is set in London as Seven Dials used to be a Borough in London, I assume Chimneys is supposed to be in Surrey, Sussex, Hampshire or one of the other Counties that Border London as I get the feeling it wouldn't have been too far from London.
  • EllerySmithEllerySmith Emilia-Romagna, Italy
    Thanks you so much! :D You're real expert! :D and so kind!
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    I am only Guessing, It might be set in Gloucestershire or Wiltshire.