Christmas Adventure (1923)

In the Poirot reading list, it lists a short story called "Christmas Adventure" (1923).  Does this refer to "The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding?"

Comments

• GKCfanGKCfan Wisconsin, United States
    Not quite.  This is a slightly complex case.  "The Christmas Adventure" is an early version of the story that would later be expanded upon and turned into the more detailed story "The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding."  However, "Christmas Pudding" is also published under the title "The Theft of the Royal Ruby."  "Pudding" and "Ruby" are pretty much the same story, aside from a possible changed word or two for cultural reasons between the US and UK versions.  "Christmas Adventure" has never been published in an official collection in the US, although "Royal Ruby" is in Double Sin and Other Stories.  If you want to read "Christmas Adventure," you will have to go to a UK website or possibly Amazon.com and buy the UK collection While the Light Lasts and Other Stories.  Bottom line, "Christmas Adventure" has the same basic plot as the later versions, but it's much shorter and some minor details are different from the later versions.
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    I have read this story for the last 2 Christmas's, and very nice it is too, I would love to eat the Meal.
  • Yes, I like the forward in which Agatha Christie writes of her greedy enjoyment of all the Christmas Fare when a child. Just fancy, boiled turkey as well as roast turkey - and eating some of each.

It is interesting to note that the characters in this novel, as well as Agatha Christie herself looked back nostalgically on bygone Christmases as if the olden days were better. We do the same today, but Christmas has stayed jolly similar.
  • tudestudes Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    I love this story and I also read it almost every Christmas! Unfortunatly, I've never tasted a Christmas pudding!
    Personally I would rather have a Chocolate Log than a Christmas Pudding but would love the Feast
    @Tommy_A_Jones, it seems out of this world! I'll cook all of these on Christmas (I don't when, but I will)!
    Don't forget the Traditional things mentioned that went in the Pudding
  • I love this story and I also read it almost every Christmas!
    I try and read The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding and Hercule Poirot's Christmas every Christmas, including watching the TV adaptations with David Suchet
    @Tommy_A_Jones, I will not!
    <:-P

I love this story and I also read it almost every Christmas!
    I try and read The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding and Hercule Poirot's Christmas every Christmas, including watching the TV adaptations with David Suchet
    It's so Christmas and Christie!