About Emily Trefusis

Lisa-MarieDhondtLisa-MarieDhondt Brussels Hoofdstedelijk Gewest, Belgium
Hello everyone! New here and my question may seem a bit random but here goes: ever since I was very young, I was fascinated by the character names Agatha Christie used. They seemed so glamorous to a young girl :) Yesterday I watched Sittaford with Timothy Dalton (I do enjoy Marple, I admit they stray hella far from the books but there is so much more to enjoy in the acting and the period details, I really do like it) and was struck by Emily Trefusis. After 'Restarick' my favourite name. When she introduces herself, people tend to say 'Trefusis...? As in...' to which she replies 'yes'. I used to simply think it meant 'daddy is rich and well known' as was the case often in Christie novels but then I remembered Violet Trefusis (the girl marrying Trevelyan is named Violet) and I wondered if both people's reaction to the name Trefusis ánd Violet being named Violet was because of thé Violet Trefusis? I know my whole build-up is longwinded but I hope my question is clear. I always felt quite sorry for poor Violet (the real one).

Comments

• Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    I am afraid I don't understand what your question is, It seemed to me you apologised for the randomeness of the Question without realising you hadn't asked anything (So it seemed to me).
  • I do understand the question - could Agatha Christie have called one character "Violet" and the other "Emily Trefusis" in tribute to Violet Trefusis, the english writer? Well, it is possible though not likely - Violet Trefusis was about 37 years old when "Sittaford Mystery" was published, and Agatha Christie could have known about her. However, there don't seem to be any points of resemblance between Violet Trefusis the writer and either of the two characters having parts of her name in the book.