The Secret Adversary

Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
I have just finished re-reading The Secret Adversary and something \Puzzled me, SPOILER ALERT! When Tommy and Julius go to the Moat House at Ebury and Julius suggests going by Car why is Tommy s keen to go by Train? Id it that he is enjoying himself amnd wants to make the adventure last as long as possible or is it Finances or is it that Julius's Common sense and Get up and go makes Tommy feel embarraced and he wats to keep a bit of dignity and do things his slower but more romantic way? and what is a Moat House?

Comments

• GKCfanGKCfan Wisconsin, United States
    Tommy_A_Jones, I'm not sure about this, but I know that time was of the essence and they had to get there as soon as possible.  First of all, I think the Moat House was the name of a large home, which might be the case because it was located inside a deep moat.  Possibly the building was a medieval relic, or maybe the moat was a more recent construction.  

At the time, it might (maybe) have been faster sometimes to travel across the country by train rather than by car.  With speed limits, bad roads, no lights, and hard-to-see signs, in the early 1920's it might have taken significantly more time to travel by car rather than by a slower train.  Still, it's a coin flip as to which may have been faster, and the American Julius may have deferred to Tommy as to which was the faster mode of travel in England.
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    Thank you GKCfan, I think you are right.
  • katiebowenblogkatiebowenblog Worcester, United Kingdom
    I loved The Secret Adversary! Find all of my thoughts here: https://katiebowenblog.wordpress.com/2017/02/16/the-secret-adversary-by-agatha-christie-book-review/ enjoy  :)