Death on the Nile vs Murder on the Orient Express

edited July 2015 in All Poirot novels
Out of the two of the most famous Poirot Novels, which one do people prefer?

Comments

• tudestudes Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Murder on The Orient Express. I love trains and a murder on a train is just a dream (of course, not in real life). Besides, it's very well written. A.C. leads us in a  thrilling and mysterious atmosphere till the end. And The ending is superbe! It's an outstanding book. One of my favorites.
    But I have to say that I like Death on the nile is really fantastic!
  • AnubisAnubis Ontario, Canada
    Both are great, but Death on The Nile for me, just because Mrs Anubis and I once went on a Nile cruise and had a great time experiencing the fabulous culture, seeing the Pyramids, and seeing Abu Simbel. The Pharaoh's revenge was somewhat offputting. No murders, though, mysterious or otherwise.
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    Death On The Nile is for me much better, someone said between the Murder and Denoumont it is boring and If It wasn't for Mrs Hubbard The Book wouldn't be as good as it is, For me Death On The Nile is the only book where Col Race comes Alive ad the Other Characters are far better IMHO
  • MarcWatson-GrayMarcWatson-Gray Dundee City, United Kingdom
    Death On The Nile for me...For the only reason that the characters felt more alive.....The situation was more believable.
    I also agree that Mrs Hubbard made Murder On The orient Express a more enjoyable ride,but it was a bit too claustrophobic for my liking.....(Still love it though !!!! )
    Murder On The Orient Express is another ITV Ruined but after the Albert Finney Version It had to be different, well it didn't have to be but for some reason I can't understand Carbon Copies are a No-no which is odd as apart from the different settings aren't most of the Film Versions of ATTWN Carbon Copies?
    Yes, Tommy_A_Jones. Murder on the Orient Express was ruined by ITV.  The Albert Finney version is marvelous, although I prefer David Suchet as Poirot.
    By the way, in this case, I mean, ITV versions, I prefer Death on the Nile. It's much better than Murder on the Orient Express.
    I LOVED The version of Death On The Nile, I have both ITV Adaptations but only because I couldn't see how I could buy The Clocks without buying 3 Adaptations I don't like, I bought some individually or with 2 I like on.
  • As a book, I found Death on the Nile had much more depth, the characters were more rounded, and the tragedy was - well, tragic. I love the old movie with Peter Ustinov, Mia Farrow and Simon McCorkindale, (There are also a bunch of other stars - e.g. Jane Firkin, Maggie  Smith, David Niven) Mia Farrow especially was magnificent as Jacquline. The book Orient Express is rather more flat, but the Albert Finney movie is incredible!
    Yeah, Ustinov's version of Death on the Nile is very nice too. The cast is wonderful! Both versions are very good!
  • Death on the Nile. Amazing book. Murder on the Orient express is good, but as taliavishay-arbel said, the characters are more rounded.