Shooting party murder-which book?

Which story or novel involves a murder disguised as a shooting accident?  Thank you

Linda

Comments

• Is this the short story about a young wife who SPOILER ALERT persuades her husband,as a bit of a joke,  to show her how somebody could commit suicide using a rook rifle and no mark would be seen on the body. The rifle is so small the hole could easily be missed, and the symptoms confused with an illness. She pulls the trigger when her husband has the gun pointing at the roof of his mouth.  In this story, a visitor from East Africa (I think) has told the couple about the suicide out where he is living and it gives the young wife the idea. She prepares the ground by telling the doctor that her husband has been complaining of being unwell.

This story was televised with David Suchet as Poirot. 
  • GKCfanGKCfan Wisconsin, United States
    ***SPOILERS***

Two adaptations of 4:50 from Paddington, the Rutherford Murder She Said and the Hickson version also changed a murder method from the book, and turned a poisoning into a shooting made to look like a suicide/hunting accident.  At the end of "The Cretean Bull," there's a suicide made to look like a hunting accident.  There's a murder made to look like a gun accident in "The Lemeseurier Inheritance," too.
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    I know the answer is probably no but Linda are you thinking of The Killing At Badger's Deift by Caroline Graham, The First Barnaby book made into a TV Drama with Selina Cadell Miss Dove.?
  • Isn't it a murder is announced??
  • GKCfanGKCfan Wisconsin, United States
    The first murder in A Murder is Announced is indeed arranged to look like a possible accidental shooting.  Not a hunting accident, but a robbery gone wrong, though the police quickly reject that theory of the crime.
  • Thank you all so much for your answers! I do remember all the novels and stories you mentioned and you have helped me to realize that the book I am trying to remember may not have a murder disguised as a hunting accident.

It is a novel set in a remote area, like Scotland, and there is a house party for shooting.  I would like to recommend it for my son to read,

There is hidden identities in this one as I recall.

Thanks if anyone can help!

• MarcWatson-GrayMarcWatson-Gray Dundee City, United Kingdom
    Didn't The Hollow start with a shooting party (at least in the T.V. version ) ? But no murder occurred then,It was only at the poolside later back at the house ??
  • There was a shooting - not exactly a party, but several people checking out firearms and shooting at targets, towards the beginning of the book "The Hollow". The murder takes place later, with no witnesses and nobody near (though I think one or two people hear the shot).
  • I think I will re read the Hollow now.  But what I mean by shooting party is people standing behind stands with guns, beaters beating the birds out of the grasses for the "shooters" and loaders standing next to the shooters.  What book or maybe story or play is this from? It was on tv too.  I do remember one of the loaders waiting on one of the shooters, and the loader used to be an owner of the large property but was now in reduced circumstances.
  • I found it!! The Mystery of Hunter's Lodge!  A short story with Hercule Poirot.  I should have added that I knew it was a Poirot.

I went to IMBD and searched through all 13 seasons of Poirot, not too hard now that I realized what I was looking for.  Thank you for stimulating my "little grey cells".

• MarcWatson-GrayMarcWatson-Gray Dundee City, United Kingdom
    Well done.It was niggling away at me through the day.I even went on you tube last night and started trolling through the beginning of episodes to find a shooting party !!!!
  • stephenstephen London, United Kingdom
    The first comment by Griselda refers to the story The Tragedy at Marsden Manor where the victim is thought to have suffered a haemorrhage, but actually was killed by a rook rifle pointed in his mouth and a fatal shot is sent directly to his brain. There is also the character who has recently returned from East Africa where a similar tragedy occurred