THE BOOK I CAN'T PUT DOWN

I HAVE NOT SEEN A BOOK LIKE THIS  IN  LIFE TIME, AGATHA CHRISTIE IS AT HER BEST ! AND THERE WILL BE NONE OTHER BOOK LIKE THIS TO COME AND THIS WILL BE THE FIRST AND LAST KIND OF A MASTERPIECE FROM DEAR AGATHA CHRISTIE. I LIKE TO RECOMMEND THIS EPIC TO EVERYBODY.

Comments

• I rather missed a happy outcome, and being surrounded as one reads by only unpleasant people is rather disgusting. However, I think you are spot on in obviously having identified that only a truly great, great writer would be able to create such an atmosphere of evil. One of our fellow posters recently wrote that she enjoys AC novels for their atmosphere, and reads them again and again for this reason. I think she was right, although I'd never recognised it in this way, that being transported to another time, and with such a keen sense of place, is such a pleasure for a reader. On your recommendation, I am going to try the And Then ....novel again, but not to get to get off to sleep - only to analyse it. Will tv or cinema audiences like having no heroes, I wonder?
  • AnubisAnubis Ontario, Canada
    I think this is the best-selling book of all time. Griselda, you might enjoy it more if you look on it as a "game", rather than a "real" thing. You likely know this, but the 1945 movie version treats this essentially as a comedy, and there are lot of laughs. The director is saying to the audience, "You can't possibly take this seriously, but pretend that you do." I am curious to know which version the BBC will use for their upcoming Christmas version.
  • Oh yes!! Not very Christmassy. Yes, I think they may go with the comedy, but, on the other hand, there has been a fair bit of criticism - probably not only for fans but the critics too - of the ironic, or post-ironic take on modern British classics, and they might go for a bit of playing it straight; more so if they choose the Boxing Day 'ghost story for Christmas' spot in the schedules, when traditionally they can be a bit grim and revengeful on some poor mortal has lead a blameworthy life.
  • Thank you for your advice, Anubis. It would really be a shame to miss out on the best selling ever AC novel just because I can't find a sensible way to view it. It is only a story, after all!