Murdoch Mysteries

Here in Canada, we have a popular TV series called Murdoch Mysteries, set in the early 1900s, in Toronto. The series combines humour, drama, romance, adventure, action, the struggle for women's rights, historical fact, a bit early CSI, and, of course, exotic mysteries. Real historic people, such as Churchill, Kipling, and Mark Twain, are often portrayed in the shows. The writing and acting are top notch. I think the series appears in some other countries beside Canada, but I believe it can be watched on the Internet on the CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation) website. Anyway, it has a Facebook page with interactive cases — you read all the clues, and then try to solve the crime. Even if you can't watch the TV show It's fun.

Comments

• Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    We have it over here in GB, I love it, It has had a few Brittish People.
  • AnubisAnubis Ontario, Canada
    Hey, that's great. The actor who plays Insp. Brackenreid is English.
  • GKCfanGKCfan Wisconsin, United States
    Here's my review of the 8th season of "Murdoch Mysteries"– https://www.strandmag.com/review-murdoch-mysteries-season-8/.
    Thank you, GKCfan. This was interesting to read. I'm delighted that a Canadian series is so well-known internationally.
    The Actor who plays Insp Brackenreid has bean in Corrie and Where The Heart is.
  • GKCfanGKCfan Wisconsin, United States
    I'm not sure why, but when "Murdoch Mysteries" airs on the Ovation network, it's called "The Artful Detective."  This title was used as the title of the Season 8 finale.  When it airs in syndication on PBS or other non-cable stations in the USA, or on Acorn TV, it's called "Murdoch Mysteries."
  • MarcWatson-GrayMarcWatson-Gray Dundee City, United Kingdom
    Love the Murdoch Mysteries.The acting standard is always impressive.The characters are extremely well defined and work so well together.Every guest star makes an impression and the story lines are inspired ..
    Good to know it has such a loyal following. Over the decades, I have seen so many quality shows from the UK and from the US that it is comforting that Canada can return the favour. While always taking itself seriously, there are often little in-jokes. For instance, the character of Constable Crabtree, who is from Newfoundland, is played by an actor who actually is from Newfoundland and speaks with a very slight Newfoundlandish accent. Every Christmas, the CBC holds an auction for charity. One of the items you can bid on is a non-speaking role on the series. I keep bidding on it, but someone always bid more! Maybe this year.
  • MarcWatson-GrayMarcWatson-Gray Dundee City, United Kingdom
    Good luck !!!!   I enjoy also when they slip in some modern terms eg: When they were discussing communication by telegraph wire.Murdoch said that it could become a "World Wide Web (www) of communication.
    One of my favourite episodes is called Me,Myself and Murdoch,about a girl with three different personalities.
    I think the actress (or is it all actor nowadays ?? )is called Anastasia Phillips...She was outstanding.....
  • Murdoch is good. You have Columbo, Christie and Murdoch which have a distinction above the run of the mill detective story. Even Morse, on telly, anyway, seems to be nice scenary, good acting and ridiculously convoluted plots in the Jonathan Creek league - although those are good to watch. Creek and Midsomer Murders are too not decided about whether to send themselves up, or not.

To Put Columbo in the same sentence as Christie and Murdoch is an insult to Murdoch and Christie, What is the point of discovering who the Murderer is at the beginning and wasting your time watching the Sleuth come up to speed? A Pointless waste of Time, I read somewhere Bing Crosby was offered the part and Turned it down, If he had took the part I might dislike it less. . 

• No, you're wrong in that sense. The idea of the little clue, and observing what people would do in real life is just like Poirot. I remember the murderer once put glasses on a victim, not realising he had recently been experimenting with contact lenses, and therefore was wearing two forms of vision aid. Columbo spotted the failing, just as Poirot would. The characters are mostly privileged, as are Christie's. Columbo plays up his ridiculousness to put the villain off his guard, just like Poirot.
    You are obviously a fan I salute your attention to detail I still do not see the point of discovering who the Villain is at the beginning.