What other books or authors do you read?

ianthepoetianthepoet Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
As well as Agatha Christie I read many other authors amongst them are:

John le Carre.
Frederick Forsyth.
Nick Harkaway.
Iain M Banks/Iain Banks.
Ian Rankin.
Len Deighton.
Colin Dexter.
Jack Higgins.
Douglas Adams.
JRR Tolkien.

Comments

• Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom

I read books by:

Betty Rowlands

Ann Granger

Caroline Graham

Simon Brett

Anthony Horowitz

Rebecca Tope

Dorothy Simpson

Josephine Tey

David Roberts

Ngaio Marsh

Dorothy L Sayers

Margery Allingham

James Andersdon

Oh yes and Ian Rankin and Colin Dexter.

How did you write your list without a space between each line?

• ianthepoetianthepoet Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
    this.
    That is odd so did I and there was a space between each Writer
  • SerourBSerourB Essex, United Kingdom
    Agatha raisin ,Sherlock Holmes
    edited January 2014
    I have discovered another author that I quite like recently, Andrea Camilleri. Also I like Elizabeth George.
  • 3rdGirl3rdGirl New South Wales, Australia
    For mysteries and whodunnits, I like :

E.F. Benson

James Anderson (The Affair of the Blood Stained Tea Cosy, The Affair of the Mutilated Mink and The Affair of the 39 Cufflinks) - so sad he passed away having only written three!

Elizabeth Peters

Kerry Greenwood

Wilkie Collins

Deanna Raybourn

I Completely agree with you 3rd Girl The James Anderson Trilogy is excellent I do wish there were more and/or I could find other books like them, I saw a series of books where this Mrs Someone and a Butler solve Crimes but can't remember the details, they look Enjoyable.
  • Sad_CypressSad_Cypress Kauno Apskritis, Lithuania
    edited January 2014
    @3rdGirl - what is your opinion on Wilkie Collins' novel "The Woman In White?". If you had read it of course :) Because I was intrigued by the plot and found myself not able to finish after 40 or even less pages...

I'm currently reading (along with AC) books by writers of my country.

"The Silmarillion" by J.R.R. Tolkien is waiting for me on the bookshelf :)

I like to re-read A. C. Doyle.

And I often read a lot of history related books. Biographies. Something about the WWI and WWII..

Oh, and I'm hopelessly in love with mafia related stuff, so also reading books by Mario Puzo :)
    I'm a big Tolkien fan myself.
  • 3rdGirl, do you read the Miss Fisher Mysteries? I watch the TV show and I enjoy it and I was wondering what the books are like.
    Oh...I LOOOVED the Woman in White @sad_cypress. But I am a bit of a sucker for gothic melodrama (which this has in spades). Obviously very different to more modern mysteries. My favourite Wilkie Collins in The Haunted Hotel. It's a lot shorter as well as being spooky and dreadful. :-)

If you liked the James Anderson Trilogy @Tommy_A_Jones I think you would really enjoy E.F. Benson's The Luck of the Vails. I am in the middle of reading it now and it's a great old fashioned msytery.

I've only just discovered EF Benson myself. He wrote some highly amusing stories a la Wodehouse called "Mapp and Lucia", but he wrote over 100 novels and many of them mysteries, so I am starting to find those now.

Are you thinking about the Mrs Bradley Mysteries that were on TV about 15 years ago Tommy? Diana Rigg was the actress on it. They've been repeating them here in Australia on and off over the past few years.

No I am not 3rd Girl, I remember seeing The Mrs Bradley Adaptations in the 80s or 90s and again on Channel 20 of Freeview a few months ago, no On The Net The Butler had a Moustache and Bowler hat and The woman was short and fat, I think The woman might have been the Butler's Land Lady but am probably wrong,
    @ianthepoet - It is nice to meet a fellow Tolkien fan! Please, do tell which books are your favorite. :)

@3rdGirl - You made me feel ashamed of myself for not finishing the book! Maybe now I should once again grab it and read until the very end! I've read that this book is considered as a classic treasure. I'm beginning to think that back then I didn't read it as close as I should have...
    @ianthepoet - It is nice to meet a fellow Tolkien fan! Please, do tell which books are your favorite. :)

'The Silmarillion,' 'The Hobbit,' 'The Fellowship of the Ring,' 'The Two Towers,' 'The Return of the King,' and 'Unfinished Tales.'

I have just watched 'They Mystery of Agatha Christie' with David Suchet on TV and he spoke to an author I have never heard of called Barbara Nadel. She is a mystery writer very much influenced by AC and her novels are set in Istanbul. I've just ordered the first - Belshazzar's Daughter - from the library and am looking forward to reading it! They get excellent reviews, so I thank you David Suchet!!
    @sad_cypress - of don't feel ashamed, I have put down quite a few books considered classics. I had to read Madame Bovary for a book club once and I WISH I had been able to put it down. It was awful. Not every book is for everyone I think. :-)

Thankyou 3rdGirl, I have been trying to remember the name of that Author, Thankyou :-)

• glalonzo0408glalonzo0408 Pennsylvania, United States
    Does anyone read The Tea Shop mysteries by Laura Childs? I have enjoyed reading them.  Very light reading but special in their own way.  
    3rdGirl said:
    @sad_cypress - of don't feel ashamed, I have put down quite a few books considered classics. I had to read Madame Bovary for a book club once and I WISH I had been able to put it down. It was awful. Not every book is for everyone I think. :-)

My grandmother questioned Madame Bovary too. She said it was boring and nothing that she expected... Now you are the second person to give a bad feedback on this book and I really want to read it just to see for myself :O
    3rdGirl said:

My grandmother questioned Madame Bovary too. She said it was boring and nothing that she expected... Now you are the second person to give a bad feedback on this book and I really want to read it just to see for myself :O
    Oh you should. Out of 10 of us, only one liked it, and she really loved it! Madame Bovary was so selfish I wanted to shake her! But you should definitely read for yourself and see if she is annoying as I think she is. I just don't think she would get much sympathy from modern women.
    Does anyone read The Tea Shop mysteries by Laura Childs? I have enjoyed reading them.  Very light reading but special in their own way.  
    glalonzo0408 and I really like them. My mother adores them. I want to visit Charleston every time I read them and I am always hungry for cakes and scones as well. Laura Childs is very good at invoking a sense of place I think, 
  • tudestudes Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    edited February 2014
    I read Arthur Conan Doyle, Dorothy L. Sayers, Patricia Wentworth, Edgar Allan Poe, H. P. Lovecraft and others.
    By the way, Madame Bovary is average. I really prefer Guy de Maupassant. I think his books are much better than Flaubert's. Madame Bovary was a scandal when it was published for the first time and this became the story very famous. Although when you read nowadays, it's a bit disappointed.
  • edited February 2014
    Tudes- I also read that AC had been partly influenced in some works by Edgar Allan Poe, although I don't quite see the resemblance. But I've now became an absolute Poe addict, I mean is there a word for a completely obsessive  absorption is EAP works?! 

Has anyone ever found other authors/poets from reading Agatha Christie? I really became interested in William Blake after I read AC's Endless Night. The quote was so beautiful, I thought I'd read more of his work. Same with Keats mentioned in Murder In Mesopotamia. 

I read Passagner To Frankfurt and Prisoner Of Zenda was mentioned frequently and although I disliked PTF it did make me curious.

edited February 2014
    MissQuin- I didn't know AC was influenced by Poe. I love his work! Thanks!
    I don't know about Blake, although I'm curious about him. But I have to buy in english to appreciate properly (english is not my first language), so it takes time to purchase it.

Right now, I'm reading John Donne.
  • Tudes- your English is better than mine (and I'm English!!) 

^:)^
    Thanks! It means a lot! I'm really happy to hear/read that! Thanks!
  • tudes said:
    MissQuin- I didn't know AC was influenced by Poe. I love his work! 

The good thing about being an Edgar Allan Poe is that you can decorate your home- Poe style!  I mean you can buy anything with Edgar Allan Poe's Raven or image on it. Even cushions, I love these.  It's a talking point, if you want to subtly work books into a conversation with house guests.  That's a downside of kindles. No-one can see what your reading, but with a a paper book you leave on the coffee table to it starts a conversation. Or you can try to start one that way... 

:D

Onto a different subject I saw the adapt of PG Wodehouse's Jeeves and Wooster. I wouldn't have been interested if it wasn' t for the fact that in Murder In Mesopotamia, Bill is described like a Wodehouse character. Rather curious to what AC meant by that.  I could see after I started watching, then I started reading the books. 
  • GraemeCurrieGraemeCurrie New South Wales, Australia
    I like books by Elizabeth Ferrars, Catherine Aird, Georgette Heyer ( her mystery stories only ), Patricia Wentworth, Ngaio Marsh, Simon Brett ( Charles Paris mysteries only ), Caroline Graham ( Barnaby mysteries only ), Donald Bain / Jessica Fletcher, Elizabeth Lemarchand, Margaret Moore, John Dickson Carr ( also wrote as Carter Dickson ), Dorothy L. Sayers, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, to name just a few.

I basically like whodunnits and I re-read a lot of books by the above authors. The Golden Age of mystery writing was the best in my opinion.

• alanalialanali San Fernando, Trinidad and Tobago

When I started reading Agatha Christie's novels I was also delving into Stephen King's works. At the time I didn't fully appreciate that I was enjoying the books from two masters of their craft- murder and the macabre! I haven't read a King novel in years, and writing this is actually making me consider taking revisiting  one of his books (a short story possibly).

These days I read anything I get my hands on. But lately I've gravitated to boxing (auto)biographies, spirituality, and light hearted adventure. It's quite an eclectic bunch!