What other books or authors do you read?

2»

Comments

• ianthepoetianthepoet Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
    I love a good biography as well, especially Claire Tomalin's Hardy, Dickens, and Pepys.
  • The only stories I take an interest in terms of the genre of detective is Agatha Christie and Sir Author Conan Doyle. Outside of the detective genre my most favourite books in that I have read are: The Bible which is about God and us which took over 2'000 years to write and E: mc2 which is about Albert Einstein's equation.
  • youngmrquinyoungmrquin Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Paul Auster (to everyone here I recommed The New York Trilogy)
    John Katzenbach
    Haruki Murakami
    J. K. Rowling (Harry Potter series)
    Leo Tosltoi
    Herman Hesse
    Some short stories from some books by Jorge Luis Borges (I'm Argentinian, so he's our proud)
    Lewis Carroll

• edited April 2014

Gosh, I read almost anything (as @alanali said). Which might explain why I chose to study English Lit... Authors I really appreciate, though:
    Shakespeare (I couldn't read him until I studied him in Uni. It makes all the difference)
    Mark Twain (though I find Huckleberry Finn boring until Tom enters the frame)
    Jane Austin (though Twain couldn't stand her books)
    JRR Tolkien
    Sir AC Doyle (like @Inspector Jeremy and @Tudes)
    Frank Herbert (he uses tons of sources in his books)
    L.M. Alcott
    Margaret Mitchell (shame she never wrote a sequel. I don't like Alexander Ripley's book).
    Madeline L'Angle (great home life, vivid adventures)
    Michael Crichton
    P.G. Wodehouse (pure fun. He influenced so many!) The Jeeves and Wooster series with Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry is amusing to see now Laurie's so famous... And the Blanding series has a good cast.
    Steinbeck (Grapes of Wrath is amazing, and I love his The Moon is Down. But his shorter stories - yuck. And many of his other novels are just rewrites of the same theme).

• For mysteries and whodunnits, I enjoy reading:

Michael Innes (the Appleby mysteries)

Rob Reef (just one yet but very Christie-like)

Edmund Crispin (so witty)

Dorothy Sayers (love them all)

Edgar Box (only three mysteries, but each one worth reading)

Margery Allingham (the adventureous plots)

Ngaio Marsh

• Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    I love Wodehouse's books
    I have just bought A Time of Gifts, Between the Woods and the Water, & The Broken Road, by Patrick Leigh Fermor.
  • FrankFrank Queensland, Australia
    As well as Agatha Christie I read:
    Arthur Conan Doyle
    Raymond Chandler
    Ian Fleming
    James Herbert
    Matthew Reilly
    Douglas Adams
  • @Frank, with Doyle and Chandler you get more mysterys, right?
    Douglas Adams - referring to The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy,  I assume. Have you read his lesser known book "Last Chance to See"? It's not as funny, but it's very interesting.
  • FrankFrank Queensland, Australia
    shifra.shomron. Chandler was truly unique in his style when he wrote his books (although his style has been imitated very offen since) and very American. I never get tied of rereading his books. As for Douglas Adam - What a funny guy. What a shame he died so young. Last Chance to See was a departure from his usual writings but had a great message.
    edited July 2014
    Discovered another author today, Nicola Upson. I love Douglas Adams, have you read Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency & The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul.
  • actually I read a lot, but I don't read for one writer i choose the book  that I like not because of the writer ,but because of the story ,but  AC AND Roald Dhal whom I like reading their books other wise i choose my book by it's story  :)