Why didn't AC write more Tommy and Tuppence Stories?

2»

Comments

• MissQuin said:
    I agree about Evans but on the other hand, part of what's interesting is the question over if Frankie and Bobby will get together. That would only have worked before T&T got married.

I think Frankie is less an authiasast than Tuppence, not a bad thing though. 

Hey, I'm just wondering, what does authiasast mean?

• Oops, I put my question in the quote...I don't really know how to do that properly.
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    I think it would have worked if Lady Derwent and Bobby had appeared in some more Books, they would be slightly different as she would be a Lady of Leisure and he would spend some evenings and Sundays playing the Church Organ but we couldn't have more Bobby and Bundle Books which is a shame. 
    I meant Bill and Bundle.
  • @Tommy_A_Jones, I agree. It would be nice to have more Bundle and Bob.

Maybe, A.C. felt more comfortable writting Poirot/Miss Marple plots than T&T.

She was probably persuaded that the ones with Poirot and Miss Marple were more commercially viable, It appeared to me that to some extent the latter 2 with the Beresfords were an afterthought, also she put herself in a Corner with Bobby and Lady Derwent and Bundle and Bob by Marrying them off, if they hadn't been married off they might have had more books in them, actually I suppose they could each have had 2 more books out of them, perhaps on their Honeymoon and when married, perhaps you wouldn't have to have a Honeymoon Book but we could have had more and another Anne Beddingfield Book.
  • I read somewhere that fans asked Agatha Christie to write more stories for the Beresfords. Who knows, perhaps David Walliams and the production team had a thought that they might like to write a few more episodes, to makes the series a regular Sunday afternoon fixture. Do you know, that the 'slow burner' rather laid back style of David, and the honing in on detail in the rapport between the pair does seem to support that thesis. The story is designed to become secondary to the interweavings of the character pair we come to love. It could be a bit That a 'Call the bobbies on the Yorkshire moors for some summer wine' is being fabricated, and we've just knocked the wind out of their sails with all our hideously unkind comments about the performances. Perhaps we should be less picky if we want something cosy to watch on Sunday's, and Agatha Christie's genius must take a back seat to the pull of nostalgia.
  • Christopher_WrenChristopher_Wren Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
    edited September 2015
    How could "They came to Baghdad" have been a Tommy and Tuppence story, given the particular plot twist. I mean, I guess it is possible, but you do realize, what this would have meant?

By the way, I found the Beresfords boring, and none of their storys is among my top 30 or probably 40 Christie storys.
    I love The Beresfords, but As David Walliams Tommy in the BBC Series I think it would be disasterous if They did with the Beresfords what ITV did with Miss Marple and put them in Christies they shouldn't be in, they would have to write whole new stories but It would be much better if they re-cast and got someone who was going to play Tommy at least Adequately.
  • I think it could happen that the BBC would write completely new stories for the Beresfords. To be truthful, I agree with you, Christopher Wren. I am not enamoured of the T and T adventures in the way I love Poirot. I think they are what Christie describes in her forward to The Man in the Brown Suit ( not of course a Beresford novel) they are adventures and not mysteries. This is why I don't warm to the early ones; the later ones are weak - and the tv Marple adaption even made Pricking of My Thumbs better, so we'll was it acted by all the cast. The couple are something of a generic pair of upper class adventurers, and I think you could devise a series of new stories for the if you decided not to be purist about it. Atmosphere is something Christie conveys brilliantly, and you can emulate her style to re create this atmosphere.

Don't you see the Fun in The Beresford Books, The Escapeist Caperism that Encapsulates The Beresfords which was so sadly lacking in the BBC Dry and Much too normal series, The Beresfords should be Fun and exciting, as Agatha Christie put Poirot in 33 Novels he can get mundane and boring.

I forgot to add That By The Pricking of My Thumb and Postern of Fate might be weak but so too are some Poirot's The Hollow, Hickory Dickory Dock, One Two Buckle My Show, Five Little Pigs, Murder In Mesopotamia and The Big Four come to mind.
  • Yes, Tommy, I agree exactly with your choice of the weaker Poirot stories. And Agatha Christie was great with humour, and you get this with the Beresford novels. By the way, when you look back through these old posts, back a couple of years, you see the names of very regular posters who are no longer on this site. Is there a linked site where they might have gone? There is Facebook I guess, but what else? And that list of posters which the site posts has names which don't contribute to these pages. I know we have had the discussion about the Agatha Christie Society which is now for private members, but I wondered if there was a linked site.

When this site was unable to be used for some reason I put Agatha Christie site in Google and found there is another one starting up perhaps they have gone there, It was in its infancy and you could only ask to join if and when it was up and running.

• bandovanbandovan Arhus, Denmark
    n or m is the best of all, i was 14 when i read it ,i love to see film made according her books and read all of christie,s book,all of her books translated in farsi(persian),all and even fx one book,roger ackroyed translated by at least 10 persons,i have collecting AC books in farsi , no matter who translated it ,the frist book translated to farsi is back to 1950,murder in mesopotemia,i have now over 700 farsi agatha christies book,some of them are as i said with difrent translators.now i am 64, and i love her more than i was 14, i never misted intrest in her books, wherever i go,i carry her books.,god bless her.what a time was in 1965 ,i start collecting her books,