Book of the Month March 2014: And Then There Were None

2»

Comments

• retrolouretrolou Hertford, United Kingdom
    And Then There Were None was my first Agatha Christie read. I borrowed it from my grandparents, although it's the awfully titled 1969 edition 'Ten Little Niggers' it had me hooked and I love searching charity shops to complete my collection (it's more fun than buying newer prints online). Needless to say, they never got it back!
    I recently moved house, but my Christie collection are the only books lining my shelves at present, so that I can indulge when the decorating becomes too tiresome.
    I would love to see this produced on television up to the recent Poirot and Marple standards.
  • tacobelltacobell Virginia, United States
    And Then There Were None is the first Agatha Christie I read and still is my favorite. I read it when I was 10 years old and I've been hooked on her books ever since.
  • Does anyone know what the first title was of Agatha Christie's: "And then there were none" ? I would like te know. :-S
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    Ten Little Ns
  • cameronjhwcameronjhw Albuquerque, New Mexico
    This is not only my personal favorite novel to read by Christie but this was the first book of hers I read when I was on summer vacation from high school.  I have seen at least two film versions of the novel.  I first saw the 1965 version with Fabian, Stanley Holloway as Blore, and Wilfred-Hyde White as the Judge then I saw the 1945 version with Barry Fitzgerald as the Judge, Walter Huston as Dr. Armstrong, and Louis Hayward as Philip Lombard.  Later I managed to watch the 1974 version set at a deserted Iranian hotel, then the version set on a African safari with Frank Stallione and Donald Pleasance and finally the Russian-speaking version.  I have to say that the 1945 version is my favorite out of the different film versions that were done because: 1. it is set on an island, 2. Barry Fitzgerald as the judge surprised me and I thought he did a good job, 3. there were nice doses of humor mixed in the mystery, and 4. I like all of the actors in the movie including Judith Anderson as the grim elderly spinster Emily Brent, Roland Young as Blore, Richard Haydn as Rogers the butler etc.  The novel was pretty gripping and tense to read as you and the book's characters wait in maddening apprehension to see who will die next and who is the mad killer on the island. When I got to the epilogue I wasn't sure what would happen and the discussion between Maine and Legge was interesting because the clues are present and then when it comes to the killer's confession it absolutely shocked me and it gave the reader a terrifying and wicked look into the mental make-up of a maniac killer. Judge Wargrave is truly one of Christie's most twisted murderers she ever created.  I have to admit while I loathe him I find he is a particularly ingenious criminal.  Like most others who read ATTWN I found all of the ten characters loathsome and rotten in their own corruptible ways especially Emily Brent, Tony Marston, and Vera Claythorne.  While there are a number of different themes and motifs you can find in this book the one that strikes me the most is: religion.  For example, each of these ten people have committed a crime or sin and how when we can ask God to forgive us for our sins and are absolved by the love and forgiveness of Jesus Christ. In the novel however there is no Christ figure to save and forgive them instead they committed a crime and they are going to be punished.  Second example of religion in the book is the character of the 65-year old elderly spinster Emily Brent.  She reads and lives by the Bible each day and she seems to look down on those who are lax or conduct themselves in a manner that is contrast to her rigid and harsh religious principles.  That is equally true of the crime she was accused of--the death of Beatrice Taylor who got pregnant and drowned herself because Miss Brent kicked her out of her home.  She was cruel and hard on that girl.  For an old lady who reads and lives by her Bible she has forgotten kindness, forgiveness, love, and charity.  She could have helped the girl in trying to find another position for her or find the man who got her pregnant and see to it that the man would marry her or talk to her parents and come up with a plan. But instead she went on reading her Bible and regard society and people as a world of sinners and immorality.  Also in a surprising way was shocked how Vera talked about the natives Lombard abandoned and she said: they were only natives but then Miss Brent says: black or white they are our brothers. For someone who looked down on her young pregnant servant girl she shows a positive attitude to people of a different color.  Like most Christians we should think of or help those from exotic locales or are poor.  A third example concerns General Macarthur who sent his wife's lover to his death in manner similar to the Biblical story of David and Bathsheba  where David sent Uriah to the battlefield to die so he could have Bathsheba.  Same thing with the General.  Even when he was having dreams about his crime the night before he died there is a mention of the Biblical story.  A fourth example is when Judge Wargrave is concluding his confession and mentions the manner in which he is going to kill himself--shot through the forehead.  He mentions the Mark of Cain--the obvious connection between the two is they were both evil men and murderers.  A great mystery novel for anybody and everybody.  I can't wait to look forward to the new 3-part television drama next year. I hope all ten of the characters appear, set in the right time-period and on a island, and the original ending from the novel is used and not the one used in the stage play or the previous film versions.  This story has been used on TV shows like Family Guy and Boy Meets World and in modern slasher films.  Also on TV a show called Harper's Island used a similar gimmick.
  • youngmrquinyoungmrquin Buenos Aires, Argentina
    @cameronjhw

If you are going to give special details about the mystery of the book and/or secret identities (like the one you give in your post), you should write before that there going to be SPOILERS.

Most of us have read the book, but some not. It's usual standards here. Thanks.
  • There have been several film adaptations of this novel, which used a different ending than the one in the book. Agatha Christie herself changed the ending of the story for the stage play because she wanted it to have a happier ending for theater audiences. The theater ending was the ending that was used in most of the film adaptations. The only one that I know of that has the original ending of the book, is the 1987 Russian film "Desyat' Negritat". That film is considered a masterpiece, and is the best adaptation of the novel that has been made to date. If you want to see it, it's still available for purchase online (I found it on Amazon), and you will not be disappointed.
  • i read this book and simply i loved it ... one of my favorite AC's book
  • BluemoonNatBluemoonNat Cebu City, Philippines
    I loved the book, it made me think things like"There are so many people who could it be?" and then "So who did it?" and then "So he did it?" and then "Woah!" It is an awesome book and I dom't use that word much 
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    The only part of that I didn't think is "Woah" I personallyreplace that with "That was a Good Book"
  • This movie was I believe my first Christie and is one of my favorites. The reason I like this movie is because you have at the center a truly evil and dangerous person: someone who believes he has the right to stand in judgement over others and punish them. The plot twists are truly diabolical and even when you know what is going to happen next, you are on the edge of your seat.