Your favourite murderer?

LL88LL88 Sofiya, Bulgaria
Share who is your favourite murderer from Agatha Christie's stories and why? Did the method of the crime committed impress you? Or you liked the motive and think it was a strong enough for everyone to do such a murder? Or you just like the character's personality that much?

Comments

• Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    The one In The Man In The Brown Suit because he is so Jovial
  • Letitia ( Charlotte) Blacklock in "A murder is announced".
    There's a murder announced in the morning paper. It will take place at Little Paddocks. A lot of neighbours  have read it and go that friday evening to Little Paddocks. The lady of the house, Letitia Blacklock, has been impersonating her sister and plans to enjoy the fortune in the future, but a few people realise who she really is and then she becomes a murderer...It's kind of sad...a Lady who becomes a murderer...  :-(
  • youngmrquinyoungmrquin Buenos Aires, Argentina
    @silvana, with all my respect, I think you should only name the book and the reasons for choosing its titular murder, WITHOUT giving away the plot. Otherwise, write the word SPOILERS after the title of the book, cause this way, you have outed one of the best AC plots.
  • Christopher_WrenChristopher_Wren Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
    For pure evilness, I "like" the killer in the ABC Murders. The most interesting one is in my opinion the killer in "A murder is announced".
  • @youngmrquin: I'm sorry, i shouldn't have give away the plot. I 'd like to delete my reaction but I don't think that's possible.  :-(
  • My favourite murderer is the real U N Owen from Then there Were None. The audacity of them is so astonishing and quite terrifying.  

Regards spoilers, I think it's inevitable that this entire post is going to laden with them. 
    Perhaps and I only say perhaps this isn't a good idea for a topic because you can't give the name of the Killer or the book they appear in without spoiling it and if ypou don't mention the Killer or book what is the point of the topic, you uised to be able to delete within for 30 minutes but that isn't possible now
  • I disagree completely. Why would someone who hadn't read all the book click on the topic in the first place?? Anyway people can put spoiler warning before they say whose their favourite.   
    But what's the point of the topic if you have to definitely put spoiler alerts, it is nonsensicle
  • FrankFrank Queensland, Australia
    I agree with Miss Quin. My favourite murderer is also U N Owen from Then there Were None. Despite the fact he was outsmarted in the end the planning and execution (no pun intended) of his cunning plan was excellent.
    If you name the book and inmediately after, you put the word spoilers, and then write your reasons, people who haven't read it can decide if they want to know your reasons at the cost of sacrificing the joy of not knowing his/her identity, or simply prefer this joy and not read more of your post.
    Yes, I believe it's perfectly posible to answer to this topic without the need to give away the plot at the same time you haven't read ALL AC books. This issue isn't, on the other hand, exclusively of this topic. The same could be argued in The Book of the Month.
  • edited April 2014
    I agree with youngmrquin in that the topic is perfectly open to discussion. I disagree with Tommy_A_Jones about it being pointless, as that's uttelry absurd. If all spoilers were banned, then all in deph discussons would be impossible.

It is possible to answer the question without writing the murderers name. 

The spoiler option really should be here or put a warning e.g Death On The Nile SPOILERS!!! 
  • LL88LL88 Sofiya, Bulgaria

When posting this (and other similar topics), I had the idea that any spoilers can occur at any time. It is a matter of person's writing whether to avoid spoilers, to mention that such follow, or not to warn about such at all.
    Personally, I quickly scan a post in similar topics and if there is a name of a book I have not read, I prefer not to read carefully the whole post. But the idea to mention only the book and further details after "spoilers" remark is a good one.

Also, this is an idea for the developers of the forums, it would be nice if there was a flag "spoilers" and when someone reads somebody's else post and thinks there is a spoiler, to be able to select that flag, so that others are warn later about the eventual spoiling of their reading.

I understand with what people say but people have in the past put things which might spoil things for others, if we didn't have this thread it would be one less source of annoyance that is all I mean
  • edited April 2014

if we didn't have this thread it would be one less source of annoyance that is all I mean
    If you dislike the thread that much, then don't read it. In fact I don't know why you keep commenting on it when you've expressed your distaste for it. Just leave it for other fans to enjoy reading it. I like reading other people's comments and I think LL8 came up with a good topic and people have given interesting answers. 

• tudestudes Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    The murderer in The murder of Roger Ackroyd.

SPOILERS: First, the book is amazing and the murderer is a soft and funny person. He's a very common person and still very dangerous.Anyone can know someone like him. Besides, the murder is very well staged.
    Now, my answer. If someone would ask me about the scariest murderer, I would definitely name the ones of Sleeping Murder and By The Pricking of my thumbs. I find this question a bit more difficult.
    I would say my favourite one was the one from Seven Dials.
    SPOILERS
    He was a charming evil guy, I think it was impossible to suspect him (being allied with the good guys). We even see as readers vast majority of his actions and we are fooled, like the other characters themselves.
  • LL88LL88 Sofiya, Bulgaria
    I think I like many murderers, for different reasons. I like the murderer from the novel "Five Little Pigs", because of the motive. It is one of my most favourite motives and when I have ideas for novels, it is almost always a leading idea. :)
    I also like the murderer from the novel "The Sad Cypress", because of the method. I mean not only the kind of murder (which is my most favourite), but also the whole way in which it was comitted.

Miss Quin I am entitled to my opinion just as much as you are, If you don't like the factI contribute to this sight that is your problem furthermore, If people didn't remind others to put spoilers on this thread I wouldn't have initially put what I did and I did use the word 'perhaps' perhaps you have selective reading

JJB I think the scariest Murderer was the one in Crooked House OR the one in And Then There Were None.

• edited April 2014
    @Tommy_A_Jones It was youngmrquin who politely reminded people to use a spoiler warning. You have not contributed anything helpful. What right have you to tell people what they should discuss and not discuss on this forum? You've actually tried to stop the topic entirely with your "if we didn't have this thread it would be one less source of annoyance " Thankfully, you've failed at ending it as you'd ruin everyone's else's enjoyment.  I don't see anyone  else trying to put an end to the discussion. You said people shouldn't even discuss the topic and then give your own answers to it which is entirely hypercritical.

To all other fans- my favorite killers  in Miss Marple- (spoilers!!) on a emotional level Sleeping Murder and Nemesis, because there's that reason why they did what they did. Twisted, yes a reason. But  Moving Finger, 4.50 from Paddington and Body In The Library the murderers are so clever I didn't work them out.  My favourite murderers are in Poirot are Death In The Nile.  Plus Roger Ackroyd which Tudes reminded me of. I had chills when I read the last chapter!
    I went into more detail topic here:

Miss Quin Initially said that PERHAPS this wasn't a good idea for a topic, and the way some people have to remind people to put spoiler makes me think it is annoying. Furthermore I am not trying to tell people what they can or can't do even though ironically you are trying to shut me up, perhaps you should read your own posts

When It comes to Miss Marple books my favourite Murderer is the one in A Murder Is Announced and with Poirot  it is Death In The Clouds

• edited April 2014
    You said this thread is annoying then carrying on posting on it. Where's the logic in that.  No-one's listened to you as the topic is interesting, so now your backtracking on what you said which is so lame because what you wrote is there in print. Putting phrases I never used is desperate too. I never even told you to shut up which is plainly putting in words I never said. I have no more to say to you unless you going to argue back like a Troll.

To all other people - My favourite Tommy and Tuppence Murderer is in Pricking Of my Thumbs.  SPOILERS!!!!  They actually pop up a few times in the AC canon. I never noticed until I read POMP. It's actually one of my least favourite books  because of the agonizingly slow pace. But I love the murderer!

I am sorry, It was a misprint what I meant to say was Initially I put 'perhaps' I did not mean to attribute that to you, it is easy to put something or miss a word by accident, I did not say the thread to say the thread was annoying just the fact that spoilers are annoying, I have a right to defend myself the fact that you attacked me persona;lly means you are more of a Troll than me.

My favourite Tommy and Tuppence villain is in Nor M 

• edited April 2014
    I haven't attacked you personally, I didn't call you a troll I said "like a troll" someone who comes onto forums and annoys people with derogatory remarks. You comment about the topic being "annoying" is incredibly rude to LL8 who started it. The difference with you and me I will defend other people when I know their not in the wrong

Actually you called me a troll first and you have started some of your more recent post with my name so you have made it personal, you are the only one to take offence at my suggestion and I have apologised for sounding as if I am backtracking.

I am not asking or expecting you to leave I just think I have a right to defend myself

• edited April 2014
    The difference with you and me I will defend other people when I know their not in the wrong, you only continue to claim to defend yourself even when your entirely wrong. 

You are wrong
  • edited April 2014
    I have better things to do than disagree with someone like you. You can keep writing your spiteful argumentative comments and sounding like a broken record. I'll overlook them and read other peoples remarks which are far more pleasant than yours.. 

If you did have you wouldn't have started this argument

I will do the same.

I think it's time to end this argument/fight, because unfortunately nobody else has written here (I don't know if the reason was the dissagreement itself or not). @MissQuin‌, I really apreciate you have supported my point of view. @Tommy_A_Jones‌ , I confess I understood your first comment like a critic, as Miss Quin did. Now that you have made it clear that what you find annoying is the thing about clarifying spoilers, it's settled. However, even in this case, I keep my previous point: the issue of writing spoilers is not exclusive of this topic, but could very well be extended to all this community since many of us haven't read all AC books. Nevertheless, this fact doesn't stop me or other people to express my opinions about the books I DID read.