New agathachristie.com

We'd love to hear what you think of the new site and forums. Please let us know here.

Comments

• speedbird451speedbird451 Hackney, United Kingdom
    Love the new site! Can't wait to explore.
  • RinRin Hong Kong, China
    LOVE the new site! It's clean, modern and has more functions. Cannot wait to explore. :D
  • Are the games gone forever or am I just not clicking in the right place?
  • Ace_of_SpadesAce_of_Spades California, United States
    Unlike Rin, I dislike the clean, modern feel of this new site. Modern is just not Agatha Christie! The site before had an inviting feel, while this looks really bland and boring. I love Agatha Christie, but this website does her no credit. Please go back to the old website format (or at least make it more interesting!)
  • TommyTommy Vale of Glamorgan, The, United Kingdom

LucyE said:
    Are the games gone forever or am I just not clicking in the right place?
    Gone for now, though to be replaced in the future with something better, it's early days for the site.
    Unlike Rin, I dislike the clean, modern feel of this new site. Modern is just not Agatha Christie! The site before had an inviting feel, while this looks really bland and boring. I love Agatha Christie, but this website does her no credit. Please go back to the old website format (or at least make it more interesting!)
    We're going to make it more interesting by posting more news stories than before, and if you have a dig around there are some new bits and pieces like the series of films made by Mathew Prichard which will be released monthly, these are professionally made films, and there'll be things in them that you've never seen before or read in any book, so basically quite a nice give away for anyone interested in AC's life and works through the eyes of her family.

Oh, also another key feature of the new site is that it has a google translate button, so hopefully no matter where you are in the world you can keep up to date with all the news and talk to other fans in your own language.

Hopefully the way it looks will grow on you!
  • I'm still working my way around the site. But so far, I love it. I like the bold layout, the chic colours. I love the fact we can now choose our own profile picture. I also like the fact it's easier to find topics. So well done Agatha Chrisite forum!
    MissQuin said:
    I'm still working my way around the site. But so far, I love it. I like the bold layout, the chic colours. I love the fact we can now choose our own profile picture. I also like the fact it's easier to find topics. So well done Agatha Chrisite forum!
    Glad you like it MissQuin, and thank you for returning to the forum after its lengthy time in the wilderness - please feel free to stretch your legs and get some discussions going as it's a bit bare at the mo. If you build it, they will come...
    Anybody got any preferences for what they'd like to see on the website next? Or have you noticed any areas that would benefit from some obvious improvements? There are bound to be a few errors here and there but as we sail through the year we'll be ironing out the gremlins...
  • edited September 2013
    I quite like the idea of quick polls. If someone is just checking the website quickly, they could instantly vote for their favourite portrayal of Miss Marple. Or  what story would you most like to see filmed? Most shocking end to a book (spoiler free of course) Then these results would hopefully lead to discussions and debate.

• AgathasmykidAgathasmykid British Columbia, Canada

Hi everyone.  I am enjoying the new site, mostly because the new message boards are way easier to read (bigger font) and easier to navigate through.  The old site had some nice features as well, like having all of the main detectives on the front, however so far so good with the new site!

I like MissQuin's idea of quick polls, however I would also like to see a big survey with results each year;  for example, members of the site submit their top 10 Christie books one year, the next year we could do the top 10 Poirot books, etc..

• edited September 2013
    Hi MissQuin - Great! Quick polls are already on our list. I don't think we can add them to the forum area but they will be on the main site in phase 2. We could add a link through to the forum so we can then debate the results.
  • I like the idea of a big survey too. Let's add that to the list.
  • tisshaheltisshahel Connecticut, United States
    There are pluses and minuses to the new look. It's taking me some time to warm up to the new format, as the color scheme has rather sterile feel for me personally, but I do like being able to make it more personal with the new profile pictures.  I'll probably do better once I'm able to find things again. Where is the complete list of mysteries, organized by publishing date, located now?

Oh! There is a headline in "Christie on Christie" that needs to be corrected, 'Herule' Poirot's Autobiography.

• DrewR1982DrewR1982 Utah, United States
    So far, I like the new site quite a bit! Looks clean, maybe a little modern but not too much. :-)
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    I dislike the new site also, I was pericularly Isulted by the fact that I put a Commnent on the Thread about the Book Sophie Hannah is writing and when I saw it on the Forum the word Novice was by my name, I am not a Novice \I have been on the site for enough time to see he site change twice, I hate the Cleanness of the site and the fact some of the 'Guess The _ GAMES have gone, Added to the stupid idea of a New Poirot Dtory The AC Estate has gone down Hill
  • edited September 2013
    Well, I'm conservative... I don't see how this is better  :(  everything so clear and bigger font... so??? still confusing and dull and requires too much scrolling...  Someone mentioned chic colours... I see it colourless... and empty

Old good familiar things gone - the nice original 'banner' with AC in the middle and her characters... I liked it very much... Now I see ad of some scribbler (pardon)... and why should I care? I'm here to read about Agatha Christie. Where's tribute to the author? Why is her photo secondary?? 

of course, I still need to explore...
    new site may be faster and easier to navigate... but I don't see polls or games.... or anything interesting to read...

why are these new looks always disappointing?..  :/
    I think it became more mercenary...

Some rhetorical questions:
    Why remove something if there's nothing to replace it with??
    Why not keep old forum?
    And how can it be that one sees mistakes/typos?...

Bigger font to me means the Designers have less to say so they assume the people who Matter that is the people who provide them with Jobs namely (us) have less to say, also bigger font means we have less room to Complain, If the font was like the Opening sequence of Murder She Wrote I could understand it as that gives an atmosphere but the way the site is It is just IMHO Horrible LiliFan I agree with you but I do think it is impossible to keep posts when the site is Changed as every time it is Unnecessarily Changed old Posts go 
    I would also like to say when I see Houses with Nice, Clean walls I always think the look as if they have no Character or Charisma which IMHO is what the site looks like now.
  • Changing the subject onto something more positive... I like Agathamykids idea of a big survey, I'm curious to know what everyone's favourite books are. Also what if  fans submitted  in-depth reviews on her short stories, as I feel that they are often underlooked?  or what are good stage adapations of her work? I admit if I saw good reviews for a  current play form fans, I'd be more likely to buy theatre tickets. 

I know you can go on IMDB for film reviews. But sometimes you want to react to comments and ask users questions, like how did people feel about an end change etc, so TV/films reviews might be an option too.
    I've often wondered how the actors feel after they've played Then There Were None, if there was a way of printing interviews with cast on the site (not the forum) then that would be great.
    edited September 2013
    Thanks for all those suggestions MissQuin, we definitely want to encourage real fans to submit reviews and papers on a subject dear to their heart, we will find a way to accommodate these sort of submissions. Probably the best story reviews on the old site were those written by fans. We also intend to improve the quality and quantity of news items, to bring you facts and insights from those associated with Agatha Christie and her works.

But we also take on board all the unenthusiastic opinions too, and we hope that we can win you round as the year progresses and the site and forum become populated once more with interesting content and debate. We regret not being able to carry over the more loved forum topics and pages of comments, but this was due to changing the system behind the forum entirely, as the old one just wasn't up to scratch.

Tommy A Jones - we're sorry about the 'novice' thing, we are all novices at the mo if that helps, but we intend to build a grading system where novices can become experts or somewhere between.

MissQuin, I love the your idea re: short stories, they are often overlooked and Agatha certainly wrote some good ones!

Just a minor thing I have noticed, and maybe I am just missing it, however is the reading order available on the new site?  I found I referenced it quite a bit.

MissQuin, I love the your idea re: short stories, they are often overlooked and Agatha certainly wrote some good ones!

Just a minor thing I have noticed, and maybe I am just missing it, however is the reading order available on the new site?  I found I referenced it quite a bit.

You can find a book list here - https://www.facebook.com/notes/agatha-christie/the-complete-agatha-christie-book-list/609231789109384 - we will be adding this to the site in the near future when we have the functionality to upload PDFs.
    LiliFan said:

Why not keep old forum?

We will soon have a link to the old forum for reference, should anybody want to cut and paste their favourite topics over to the new forum.
  • adminadmin Cuanza Norte, Angola
    Hi LiliFan, Tommy A Jones

If you would like to rescue some of your favourite comments from the old site you can see it here: http://legacy.agathachristie.com/community/

You obviously can't add new comments but we hope you find this service useful. It won't be available for ever so please make good use of it now!

thanks

Admin
    Tommy said:

You can find a book list here - https://www.facebook.com/notes/agatha-christie/the-complete-agatha-christie-book-list/609231789109384 - we will be adding this to the site in the near future when we have the functionality to upload PDFs.

Thanks.  On the old website they was a list of what order to read them in (chronologically speaking of course), hope to see that again :)

Another suggestion that I thought of :)

Can there be a section the discussion for discussing non-Christie books?  I suggest this because I would guess most members here are mystery lovers, and may have great suggestions for books that are like Christie's?  I would love to get some suggestions for example of mysteries that take place in secluded locations, big old houses, lots of suspects, etc...

• GiulsGiuls Lombardia, Italy
    Maybe I am wrong, but I remember that on the old site there was the chance to tick from a list the novels and short stories I've read, is it coming back or is it gone forever?
    Because I found it really nice and useful :)
  • SeaSnapSeaSnap Cornwall, United Kingdom
    Please look though some articles to check for mistakes, like 'A Caribbean Mystery'-ane Marple rather than Jane Marple.
  • adminadmin Cuanza Norte, Angola

Another suggestion that I thought of :)

Can there be a section the discussion for discussing non-Christie books?  I suggest this because I would guess most members here are mystery lovers, and may have great suggestions for books that are like Christie's?  I would love to get some suggestions for example of mysteries that take place in secluded locations, big old houses, lots of suspects, etc...

Done! Go to main menu and scroll to the bottom to find the new 'Not about Agatha Christie' category.