Sophie Hannah's Poirot

TommyTommy Vale of Glamorgan, The, United Kingdom
edited September 2013 in All Poirot novels
Right, the initial reaction to today's news from devoted fans is, bad idea. But there are folks out there who welcome the idea of a new Poirot story, who have read every Poirot novel and short story and are looking forward to more of their favourite character. Which camp are you in? And are there any readers out there who disagree with the idea but will read the book nonetheless? And does anyone agree that it's quite refreshing to see a new 'book' in a time where TV and film adaptations get all the attention?

Comments

• speedbird451speedbird451 Hackney, United Kingdom
    Have to say that I'm intrigued by what Sophie will come up with and it's going to be exciting to have something new to read even if it's just to give us lots to debate.  Though Mathew made a good point on the Today programme this morning that the new book will revive interest in the entire Christie canon and that can only be a good thing.
  • My initial reaction was- utter shock. I wasn't expecting anyone to write a Poirot story. 

It's true there have been many prequel and sequels to famous literary works. Wide Sargasso Sea is a highly rated prequel to Jane Eyre. But at the same time, I can never really get over the idea. The characters belong to the author who created them. 

But the BBC modern day version of Sherlock has been so well received. I think people were highly skeptical. Then they watched it and it's built up a cult following among Conan Doyle fans. But then TV and literature are very different things. 

I will reserve  full judgement until I've read the book. If I don't enjoy it I can take comfort in the fact I can simply go back to reading my favourite Christie books.

• TommyTommy Vale of Glamorgan, The, United Kingdom
    What came across quite well was that Sophie Hannah is as big a fan as anybody and you would imagine with the pressure on she'll be very careful to make her Poirot accurate and faithful, so then it's down to the storyline, and in that department she has an excellent track record as an author. Should certainly be worth a read whether borrowed from the library or purchased...

• Hmmm...

I think I would enjoy a pastiche more in the cinema or on the TV - not necessarily with Suchet.

Book continuations are a double-edged sword with me. I don't care very much for the 'new' Sherlock Holmes stories but love Conan Doyle's - however, I love Jill Paton Walsh's Lord Peter Wimsey novels while the Sayers originals bore me rigid.

We shall see, but I have a feeling this will be like the Osborne novelisations of the plays - read once and forget. There's only one Christie!

This, from another forum, is worth quoting as it made me smile :)

BBC News:  He said that the idea of a new Poirot book was driven, in part, by the desire to draw attention to his grandmother's vast body of work, especially to a younger audience.

Forum poster:  The other part being to make some wonga

• AgathasmykidAgathasmykid British Columbia, Canada

All good points.  I am in the camp of "not happy however likely to read it anyway."    If it were taking a specific approach, like a prequel to Styles, maybe a crime he investigates in Belgium, I would be more open to a new Poirot book. 

My worry is that things will happen to main characters that Christie never intended, and I don't think that is fair or appropriate.  I will definitely read it though, maybe I will change my mind later.

edited September 2013
    On the whole the reaction from fans on Facebook has not been positive (although there have been 3000+ likes to the idea), but this could be down to a lack of fans' trust in the guardians of the estate, after some of the looser screen adaptations where stories have been chopped up and characters replaced.

Think it's worth bearing in mind that because this will be a book, and not a screenplay (where cutting and dramatising distort most written stories) it may end up feeling more like a Christie than most may initially worry. Apart from Charles Osborne's novelisation of plays (which were distinctly different projects to this) there actually isn't a precedent for Hannah's book, at the moment it's a bit of an unknown. You also won't see any official channel describing it as a Christie, it's an Agatha Christie's Poirot novel.
  • I think it's misleading to call it a "new book" as if it was found in Agatha Christie's attic.  It's a book written by someone who will attempt to mimic Agatha Christie's style and in this case imitation is not the sincerest form of flattery.  If you have a great idea for a mystery plot, then write it with a new detective, or at the very most, in another medium even.  But I don't think publishing this will attract younger or new fans.  The initial backlash is already evidence that this won't work, as sales will be weak if the core fans don't buy it.  No one bought Mrs. de Winter, for example.  Many bought Death Comes to Pemberley but really did anyone like it?  It's bound to disappoint and I for one will absolutely not read it.  I'd rather have more TV and film adaptations than a "new book" by a writer I never heard of.
  • glalonzo0408glalonzo0408 Pennsylvania, United States
    I agree with RobertKemper.  I too, think it is misleading to call it a "new book" as if A.C. wrote it and it was just found.  I do not plan on reading it.  I cannot imagine anyone taking Poiret's character where A.C. would have liked it to go.  Seems to me this author, and A.C.'s descendant's are just trying to make a buck off of her.
  • tony0765tony0765 East Sussex, United Kingdom
    edited September 2013
    Agatha Christie didn't want her books continued by another author. That's why her detectives were either dead or old and retired by the time she had finished writing. Someone thinks more about money than Agatha's wishes. I won't be buying it.
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    I Think it is a very bad Idea, If a Character is killed of Like Poirot was the only person entitled to bring him back is the Creator, Not the Family, Not a lady whose Mother lived 4 doors down from the Creator but the Creator themselves unless the Creator says 'One day write a Poirot story Mary" and to our knowledge Agatha Christie didn't do that, If it was done with another Character who wasn't killed off I would think it an Excellent Idea, Not Porot though, Bundle Brent Yes, The Beresford Probably and Bobby and Frankie YES YES YES but Poirot No DEFINITELY NOT! 
    I would also say Yes Please If it were a Battle Book with or without Bundle
  • Add my name to the bad idea list.  I cannot imagine why anyone would write a story about Agatha Christie's Poirot.  I hardly think she would have approved of it and it simply will not be Poirot.  I cannot think why any author would think that they could write about this icon or why they would want to.  At least I now know who Ms Hannah is and won't be buying any of her books.
    In Sophie Hannah's defence she wouldn't think she can write the book if people hadn't encouraged her or Commissioned it, like many of Agatha Christie's Characters people get awaywith things becase others let them.

What I always like about Agatha Christie;s material is that there haven't been a bunch of books after her passing - I don't count the Osbourne books because they are based off of her material.  I liked that feeling that once Christie was done writing, that was it. 

Look at Sherlock Holmes for example, there are way too many authors who have tried their hand at him.   

• I'm also on the side of I will read it and reserve judgment until after I read it.  Hadn't heard of Sophie Hannah, but after looking on goodreads, will give her a try.
  • LucilleLucille Ontario, Canada
    I reserve judgment until I have read it and I have seen what this author is capable of. I have a feeling that I won't be disappointed. She needs to be very careful! She has been given a huge responsibility and if she fails, she will lose face. I do hope she succeeds in capturing the essence of Poirot. That is her biggest challenge.
  • SeaSnapSeaSnap Cornwall, United Kingdom
    I don't know what to think of this. If Agatha killed off Poirot in Curtain, maybe she didn't WANT anyone else to write another Poirot novel. She didn't kill Miss Marple, so why not write about her?
  • It's been a while since I came to this site. My, it's changed! (If anyone's wondering who the heck I am, I used to have the moniker "go_leafs_nation".)

This news shocked, upset, and disturbed me. I wrote a long rant about it in on my blog - you can click here to read it. I think Matthew Pritchard's tenure as Christie's heir has been an unmitigated disaster (what on earth has happened to the Poirot and Marple TV shows???), and this latest act confirms my belief.
    Hello Patrick, Great to have you back, I agree with you with most of what you say, I can't remember if you last posted before or after Mrs McGinty's Dead was shown, I liked that one and After The Funeral, Matthew Pritchard has made some odd dicissions, 1st Allowing Miss Marple to be put in Adaptations she shouldn't be in then the Young Miss Marple Film (If that is still happening) and now the Sophie Hannah Book, I like the Idea of new stories for a Sleuth but not Poirot, Agatha Christie Killed him amnd didn't want anyone to write ne sories for him so It shouldn't be happening but I will read the book out of Curiosity if nothing else 
    Does anyone know if there is anyway to get in touch with Matthew so we can voice some of our concerns?  Does he have email, facebook or twitter?
  • GaryBurroughsGaryBurroughs Warwickshire, United Kingdom
    My humble opinion on the new Poirot, thebatterednail.co.uk. Have to say, I'm not keen.
    I should think if you Google the Address of The Agatha Christie Estate or maybe even Greenaway or perhaps ITV as ITV show Poirot  and Marple aletter might get to him   
  • GaryBurroughsGaryBurroughs Warwickshire, United Kingdom
    edited September 2013
    Has Agatha Christie gone Disney? I'm a big fan of AC and in particular of Poirot, and I don't like where this is all going. Read my blog, see if you agree. Or not. Let me know. Read and it and comment here. Or go to thebatterednail.blogspot.co.uk
    Does anyone know if there is anyway to get in touch with Matthew so we can voice some of our concerns?  Does he have email, facebook or twitter?
    Anything you post on the forum will be passed on to Mathew in some shape or form. Many reasons against this project have been well aired but if you think of something you feel hasn't been spoken of much already then please let us know. 
    Has it been said that Agatha  Christie herself never wanted Poirot to be resurrected so by dgoing ahead he is going against his Grandmother's wishes?
  • Sophie Hannah was at the Agatha Christie Festival (on Thursday 19th September) and as part of a panel consisting of Sophie, Matthew Prichard, David Brawn (Publisher at Harper Collins) and John Curran, the idea behind the new Poirot story was explained. There was a packed out audience waiting to hear the news about the new book. Although nothing about the story line was declared, a number of points were muted about what might happen and characters that may be included or excluded, its sounds as though it’s going to be a fantastic read. Publication date will be September 2014 and I can't wait for it to come out.

What did they say about the idea behind the story? did they say why it was going ahead (Although that is obvious) Did they say where will it be pitched, (between which books? Did they say why Poirot when he is Dead but not another Character who wasn't killed off, Will Miss Lemon, Hastings, Race, Spence, Battle or George be in it? Will they ask David Suchet to Play Poirot again?
  • I will try and answer your questions. I am sure that the little I know / heard is not secret. Matthew Prichard and his team came up with the idea at the same time that Sophie's agent did and they got together to discuss the concept. Sophie presented a plot of about 100 pages and it was considered and later agreed as a project. The story will be set in place in a logical time period in line with Poirot's career; it will not have Miss Lemon or Hastings in it (no mention of Japp, but do not think so). Quote: "At this stage it would be impossible to comment on a film or TV programme as the book has not been written or published - so that is all in the future". The story will have a London base (where Poirot lives?) and a village where the murder takes place. While I was listening to the panel discussing the new story, I was not taking notes, but if anything else comes to mind I will let you know.

Thank, It is a shame Hastings isn't gpoing to be in the book, havinghim might have placated those like me who think it is a silly idea
  • I first read the heading "New Poirot book" on the news. I was excited as I thought they had recovered a book that Agatha Chrisite herself had written. I was then stunned to find out someone else was writing it. I then assumed (wrongly) that the book had been already written and then Matthew Pritchard had given the go ahead for it to be published. I don't see how approves of a book that hasn't yet been written. The longer I think about the idea the less I like it. It will surely mean that any other authour can now write Agatha Chrisite's characters?