Sophie Hannah's Poirot

2»

Comments

• Is this likely to have any of the unused ideas found in the notebooks? It would at least make the continuation a bit more palatable knowing there was a hint of Christie's own originality in there.

I much prefer Jill Paton Walsh's Lord Peter Wimsey novels to Sayers' originals (but prefer Christie to practically all crime authors) - and appreciate that the first two of these were either continuations of Sayers' unfinished work, or expansions of outlined plots. If there could be an inclusion of Christie's own ideas in the new book, it would (at least in my eyes) bring some authenticity - although I'm not sure anything could be a worthy continuation for me.

• Will definitely read it, in the mean time will be checking Ms, Hannah's other books! ;)
  • missvulpinemissvulpine Parana, Brazil
    Oh, bad idea. No matter what anyone says, IT WILL NOT BE AGATHA CHRISTIE and IT WILL NOT BE POIROT.
    Agatha wouldn't wish that! I definitely won't be reading this book. 

• No, I will not read this book.  I think it's a disgraceful attempt to cash in on Agatha Christie's name and work.  If this woman wants to write detective stories she should invent her own detective and get on with it.

• CyndyJCyndyJ Essex, United Kingdom
    I was shocked when I first heard that a further Poirot was to be written by Sophie Hannah and was against the idea.  However, having thought about it I feel intrigued by the idea and would love to have another Poirot story to read.  I have read all her books over and over since I was 13 (I am now 70) and the idea of a new one seems great in principle.  However this will only work if Sophie can emulate Agatha Christie's style incredibly well and leave Poirot exactly as he was!  I must confess my doubts about this.  However I will read it with an open mind and give my verdict afterwards!
    Cyndy J
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    I shall do the same Cyndy and hope we are not disappointed but we probably willl be
  • I object to the principle of somebody using Agatha Christie's name and work to make money.  If I buy the book, Sophie Hannah gets money, whether I like the book or not.  Therefore I will not buy the book. 

She will get money whether you buy it or not, The only good thing that can come out of it is that she might then write a book featuring a Character Agatha Christie didn't Kill off 
  • Alas Tommy, you are right.  But at least I will have the comfort, however small, of knowing that she didn't get any money from me!
  • glalonzo0408glalonzo0408 Pennsylvania, United States
    I agree with Tommy.  Although I will probably break down and read it...I am not getting my hopes up.....
    That is true but it also means I you don't read it you can't criticise it, you can criticise it happening but not the plot and the actual book, In the same way I can't criticise Fifty shades of Gray because I haven't read it.
  • SunsetsSunsets Philippines
    At first I could not believe my eyes, the idea of a new author writing about an old character dosen't appeal to me too much because, to me, the character is property of the author and if you used that character-even if that person did not go into their house to get it-I consider it stealing of private property so I'm against the idea
    I tweeted Sophie Hannah on Twitter asking why she chose a Sleuth Agatha Christie killed of when there are a lot who Agatha Christie didn't kill off.
  • Such a very bad idea ! But I will buy the book !!