A calendar year of Christies

Just as some people like to read Christies in the order they were published, imagine reading Christies over a year according to the timing of the events/seasons/ceremonies on which the story is primarily based. 

Of course some stories cover a period of time that is longer than a year, but perhaps we can use some poetic licence and go for a main event or celebration as the basis for choice? 

Can we collectively try to put together a "Year of Christies" that follows the calendar year...?  It would be fun to spend a year reading or re-reading the stories following real time :)

For example

Jan -
Feb -
Mar -
April - Easter - read Dumb Witness
May -
June -
July -
August - 
September -
October - Hallowe'en 31 Oct - read Hallowe'en Party
Nov -
Dec - Christmas - read Hercule Poirot"s Christmas

Please help fill in the blanks!

Comments

• TeddyBgTeddyBg Bulgaria
    edited November 2014
    I've just finished "Hickory Dickory Dock". There are several objects that have been stolen and according one of the servants they began to be stolen long time ago - two-three months ago, and then he added that it was in February. So maybe approximately the action is set in May.

Sparkling Cyanide - All Souls' Day (beginning of November)

About Dumb Witness. Yes, the murder is committed around Eastern, but Poirot received the letter on 28th of June, and it's then when he started resolving the murder. So maybe June/July is more appropriate?
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
    January - The Sittaford Mystery and 4.50 From Paddington
  • One, Two, Buckle My Show - "it was hot summer day". But the month isn't exactly determined.
    There are some stories or short stories when September is mentioned but I can't remember which ones, but I know September is mentioned as my Birthday is in September, I think The Listerdale Mystery is one but not sure.
  • AgathasmykidAgathasmykid British Columbia, Canada

One of the suggestions I gave on the older version of this website was to have a "seasonal" Christie reading list.  Great idea for a thread Lucy Lemon :)

-Death on the Nile and Evil Under the Sun could be read during the summer months

-I think Miss Marple has Christmas and Halloween short stories

-In some Countries the month of November is used to remember those who fought in the war, so November could include any books that mention the wars and/or soldiers

I will try and think of some more.

• Isn't that interesting that you though of it too Agathasmykid!

Thanks for all the wonderful thoughts and ideas so far people - you certainly know your Christies! :)
  • The Hollow - September
    Endless Night - the action continues for a period of about an year. But again it begins around September
  • Cards on the Table - second half of October
    I had never noticesd that I will next time I read Cards On The Table for the 8th time.
  • I'm reading it now for the 8th time!!!
  • There are some stories or short stories when September is mentioned but I can't remember which ones, but I know September is mentioned as my Birthday is in September, I think The Listerdale Mystery is one but not sure.
    I just opened ''The Clocks'' and the opening line is: The afternoon of the 9th of September was exactly like any other afternoon." 

Maybe this is the one you were thinking of Tommy, or otherwise The Hollow or Endless Night as others have mentioned?

I will shortly compile a list of what we have sort between us to date..
  • I've just started Roger Ackroyd and it starts - Mrs Ferrars died on the night of the 16th17th September - a Thursday.
  • Ok so far here is what we have...

Jan - Sittaford Mystery and 4:50 From Paddington
    Feb - 
    Mar - 
    Apr - 
    May - Hickory Dickory Dock
    June - Dumb Witness
    July - Death on the Nile and Evil Under the Sun
    Aug - One Two, Buckle my Shoe
    Sept - The Hollow, Endless Night (begin it in Sept and read over a year!), The Clocks (begin reading on 9 September!) and Listerdale                   Mystery (we think) 
    Oct - Cards on The Table (begin mid-Oct) and finish by 31st so that you can begin Hallowe'en Party
    Nov - Sparkling Cyanide and any books or short stories that mention war or soldiers
    Dec - Hercule Poirot's Christmas and The Adventures of the Christmas Pudding

It is more than a little curious that we haven't come up for anything in Feb, March or April - perhaps Agatha did not believe that anything sinister should happen in Spring!

As the festive season approaches, I might have to put down Lord Edgware (not really enjoying it anyway) and re-read Hercule Poirot's Christmas. If I don't post again beforehand, may you all have a merry berry, a jolly holly and a cool yule.  
  • TeddyBg said:
    I've just started Roger Ackroyd and it starts - Mrs Ferrars died on the night of the 16th17th September - a Thursday.

Oh my gosh another September book!  Clearly she liked to set her books in the month of her birthday!

Sorry TeddyBg - your post came through at my end after I had posted mine - might have something to do with me being so far away in Australia?? ;)
  • we've written our posts at the same time, actually :D By the way I skimmed through Listerdale mystery and didn't notice if there is specified month. Anyway, if s.o. reads it carefully can say if it's indicated.
  • I nearly forgot my favorite "Murder on the Links" - it's the beginning of June.
    One short story mentions September 17th, I think it is a non-series one, naybe The Blue Jar or Philomel Cottage or The Listerdale Mystery, I love all 3 and all are great to readwhile you are waiting for a Delivery man or Plumber etc..
  • TeddyBgTeddyBg Bulgaria
    edited December 2014
    I didn't remember Philomel Cottage, so decided to re-read it. It's pretty good. And we have a date! It's 18th of June (Wednesday)

The short story Swan Song - in May

• I am loving that we are all reading our Christies and getting excited when finding dates! Good on you guys! 

Still no Feb, Mar or April...very curious!
  • edited December 2014

Still no Feb, Mar or April...very curious!

Of course there's no March or April; suggestions are "Absent in the Spring" - ba-dum tish!  (Mary Westmacott joke - you've been a wonderful audience, I'm here all week - goodnight and God bless...)

"Murder In The Mews" (or the title story at least) is a good fit for November.

• Still no Feb, Mar or April...very curious!

Of course there's no March or April; suggestions are "Absent in the Spring" - ba-dum tish!  (Mary Westmacott joke - you've been a wonderful audience, I'm here all week - goodnight and God bless...)

hahaha - that is very clever! :)

• edited December 2014
    Feb. It could be Cat among the pigeons . Maybe, it would be better in aug. I think whenever it school period, it's a good choice.
  • Peril at End House - August
    A Murder is Announced - start 29th of October
  • glalonzo0408glalonzo0408 Pennsylvania, United States
    I cannot believe there isn't a Miss Marple story set in spring.....there has to be one.....
    When The Post office is mentioned in Postern of Fate The Cards sold are listed and first Mention are Christmas Cards and I for some reason don't think it would be mentioned first if The Book wasn't set shortly before Christmas, Tuppence wouldn't notice them if they weren't in stock so The Book must be set in December or just maybe early January.
  • We've got it! We've got it! We have a book sets in April - and it iiiiiiiiiiiiiis Five Little Piiiiigs. And still the murder  - occurred 16 years ago - is set in late September (but it's not so important)
  • Well done TeddyBg!  Terrific sleuthing! You are as tenacious as Poirot himself!  :)
  • I'm totally amazed , I just found that the action in "Death on the Nile" is set in January, I've always thought it's in the summer. The introduction is actually in December, Linet R and Simon D. get married on 4th of January and then everything is in January.
  • The A.B.C. Murders - the book starts in June. First murder - 21th of June, the second one - 25th of July, third - 30 of August, 4th - 11th of September , and the book finishes in November
    I always thought Death On The Nile was set in The Summer too, I suppose I associate Ship Holidays with The Summer.