David Walliams and Jessica Raine as Tommy and Tuppence

Comments

• I have a bit of a problem in that I have never quite taken to the Beresford stories as much as the Poirot and Miss Marple mysteries. It is probable that I don't love this type of drama because I didn't love the novels either. I can't get my head around what I would call the spying shenanigans. Would people really be that brave, to explore deserted buildings,(?) and, also, like the world of science fiction, the world of espionage is somewhere where absolutely anything can happen, so nothing really surprises you or engages your expectation. It isn't as easy to relate to all the discussions about big organisations and world class intrigues in the same way that one can understand the petty details of the ordinary lives of the villagers Miss Marple encountered. I don't think, either, that Agatha Christie was Frederick Forsyth when it comes to espionage fiction. She clearly, for a genius, had a blind spot regarding understanding the workings and dynamics of a few aspects of life, namely economics, the aristocracy, international relations and politics. One of her novels was about those people who control all the money in the world, as if this would ever be happening. I SPOILER ALERT think The Pale Horse was nonsense too about people all over the country getting to hear about a place where black magic can be put on someone you don't like. Agatha Christie didn't understand how big movements and forces worked: her skills were better with microcosms of society. The Beresford novel was stuffed with charactatures, so no surprise the tv adaptation is too.
  • Tommy_A_JonesTommy_A_Jones Gloucestershire, United Kingdom

I think you would describe Spy stories A La Christie as Daring do, Spy Stories for people who want it mild and Humorous only Dark in places, I have never read a Frederick Forsyth Book but I always assumed they were Big Boys stuff without Humour like if you wanted to read Procedural Murder Mysteries Murder Mysteries with a Policeman and without Humour you would read Banks Books,

Perhaps you are too serious minded for Tommy and Tuppence
  • Hi Tommy, you are right, I do like a certain genre, and although I did not love the adaptation last night, I certainly liked it, and I admired the acting, and the setting. It was great fun. I thoroughly enjoyed viewing the scenes. I have the very highest regard for AC, so I guess I am used to the sublime. I think the directors did a good job. Perhaps I will prefer the Francesca Annis ones, but I think the BBC came out of this venture with flying colours. Jessica Raine did her best: she isn't quite as I see Tuppence, but she put everything into the role, and didn't miss a chance to suggest a nuance and a feeling.
  • MarcWatson-GrayMarcWatson-Gray Dundee City, United Kingdom
    When i watched it last night...I continually compared it to the book and criticised it from start to finish.Apart from the set designs and the fantastic attention to detail of said designs.
    I then watched it again today with the resolution to have a completely open mind and i did enjoy it a bit more and think it will grow on me. Tommy(David Walliams) is just not Tommy,but i have the feeling that he will come into his own as time goes on.
    I don't think Agatha Christie intended the books (T&T ) too be taken too seriously and over analysed (I may be wrong)
    I just took The Secret Adversary story to be what it was... a good old rip roaring adventure...and i am viewing the T.V. adap'n in the same spirit.......
  • I think you are right, Marc, about not taking too seriously. And rip-roaring adventure sums it up perfectly.
    I still haven't seen it yet but I will before Sunday, David Walliams deserves a bit of Credit for getting the Ball Rolling but until I see it I still think he should have forfeitted the Role of Tommy to someone else and maybe take the Role of (Perhaps) Albert or Mr Carter. I will see what I think when I see it.
    I saw it last night, It was alright, I liked it, It is a shame about the Changes like Albert and George but It wasn't Horrible, David Walliams might grow on me as Tommy but probably not, I thought when The man Grabbed Tuppence's Neck that was out of place, but the rest was OK, I look forward to Episode 2, Insidently, at the beginning Tuppence is reading Strong Poison which I have been watching on Television, BTW can you remind me, was the package a Book on Bee Keeping?
    Hi Tommy_A_Jones....If you mean Tommy's package  'twas a bee within a jar within a box !!!  I remember thinking..."How on earth will the poor thing breathe !!!!
    Thankyou Marc, I also meant to ask Did we ever see The Book Tommy should have read? and was The Book Jane Finn had coincidently about Bee Keeping and I am right in saying the Photo fell out of Jane Finn's Book didn't it? There was no need for so many changes.
    Hi Tommy.Jane Finn's book was just a plain paper note book.Tuppence began to read the Bee Keeping book whilst waiting on Tommy  seeing his uncle for a potential job...She got quickly bored with it and then took out Jane Finn's note book.That's when the picture fell out that had the address on the back,that she then went to alone and got herself into all sorts of bother...........
    P.S. I agree.....Far too many changes !!!!
    Thank you MarcWatson-Gray, I That Clears that up, I took my eye off the screen at the wrong time, which is not a good idea as they changed so many things, and none for the better either which is a shame. as some changes can improve things or not make the thing worse.
    I watched it twice....First time was in a blur of crtisism. The second i picked up more detail...Here's to the second installment tomorrow evening.....
    It is Like The ITV MARPLE Series, I will watched them all once but wouldn't necessarily watch the Repeats where as I have the set of Joan Hickson's. 
    I listened to a audio of A Murder Is Announced last night read by none other that Joan Hickson.......It was great.....Never thought that's how i'd spend a Saturday night !!!
    I quite often spend my Tuesday Nights like that, it is Fun, listened to Sleeping Murder last week
    Gonna look for audio's of Tommy and Tuppence stories.....
    I have some read by Samantha Bond, she does an excellent Tommy Voice and I have Partners in Crime Volume 1 and 2 read by James Warwick Brilliant :-)
    Well,That;s next Saturday sorted !!!

Do you mean you have bought some Marc or are watching Episode 3 of The Secret Adversary? I think they start N or M the week after, I will be interested to see what they do with that as it is my Favourite T&T

Hi.No Found them on Youtube....May buy some though !!.......Also looking fwd to N or M.
    I keep finding fault with The Secret Adversary (Not getting David Walliams' performance at all )
    Need to be more positive about it all.

Anyone else (That's seen it so far) Ye or Neh ?
    Ye and Neh, Tuppence is Good, Tommy Isn't the actual Drama is Good but as it is supposed to be The Adaptation of The Secret Adversary The Changes are bad, I get the impression Carter loves his nephew Tommy the wrong way I got this impression in Episode 2 when Carter sufgested they go and see George playing Cricket and they shook hands, perhaps I am to quick to expect Television Companies to jump on the Homosexual Bandwagon but I just felt they were going down the same road as other Dramas these days to please our lascivious society and the people they want to appear in the Drama's. 
    I forgot to say I am looking forward to N or M, That hasn't been dome ever and it is my Favourite so if They mess with that I will be Furious.
    Let's hope they don't mess around with it too much......But I'm expecting it....

Gonna have to watch that cricket invite again........It went right over my head,if there was more to it...The dirty old man !!!! ha

• I have to admit that i have not yet read a tommy and tuppence book at all, but read a good many poirot and marple, but i watched the first two episodes of the new Partners in Crime with excitment with a slight anxiety, as this is agatha christie and is not to be messed around with. I watched it with an open mind and thought Raine was made for Christie, Walliams on the other hand makes it a strange mixture that i think works, i might be unpopular but i think it makes it different from other Christie adaptations. Also as explained by Matthew Pritchard, to have a series at different time periods wouldn't work and so I think that the 50's was a good choice. From what ive seen i think its a good series that i will enjoy. 
    I think my problem was that I read the book again (having not done so for years) a day or two before the first episode was screened,so it was still very fresh in my mind when i watched the t.v.
    Agree that Raine is great in the part though
    I read it a short time ago too and then watched the Annis/Warwick Adaptation, The Cricket thing might just be me Marc.
    Just watched the clip again and the scene taken on it's own,in isolation (i think)could come over as you thought,but if i re:watch the complete episodes ( 1& 2 )and their previous interactions, then it doesn't...If that makes any sense ??
    Yes, that makes perfect sense Marc. we will have to see how future episodes portray Carter.